Another reason to dislike the UIL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference between going crazy after crossing the finish line, and the whole team running on the field after a walk-off hit, or a game winning touchdown, buzzer-beater, etc. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of; to take a state qualification away from kids who just wanted to thank their Heavenly Father for their success. Unbelievable.

Wow! If they would have done some gesture for gay rights they would have been labeled heroes and been on ESPN all week. Crazy! Whatever happened to playing with passion and showing some excitement? In baseball if you run too fast or too slow around the bases people call it bush league. In basketball if you smile or get excited you are a showboat. Let the kids celebrate and have a little fun! Heck, they earned it!

What is unsporting is when you have a "win" and you disrespect your fellow competitors or draw undue attention on oneself. You hit a walk off home run and point at the other teams pitcher or dugout - you are in my opinion being unsporting. I think trying to keep the NFL celebrations out of high school football have swung the pendulum too far. Hate it for the kids.

What is unsporting is when you have a "win" and you disrespect your fellow competitors or draw undue attention on oneself. You hit a walk off home run and point at the other teams pitcher or dugout - you are in my opinion being unsporting. I think trying to keep the NFL celebrations out of high school football have swung the pendulum too far. Hate it for the kids.

Could you imagine a walk off home run, where nobody on the team could show ANY excitement, until they got off the field? Un-American.

Bottom line, from what I saw on another forum, he ignored the meet official who triedto talk to him just afterwards, and then threw the baton, which you cannot do. Thus the DQ.

That's what I read also ... a meet official was trying to be "helpful" by pointing out that his gesture would probably get a DQ at the state meet and the runner gave them some choice words and would not shut up and let it go.

As much as I look for ANY reason to rip on the UIL for making stupid decisions this time ain't one of them.

I have read a couple of different accounts of what took place and talked to some folks that were there. This was NOT an example of someone praising God and being punished for it. There were "other" gestures involved combined with outright disrespect of a Meet Official who tried to talk to the offending young man BEFORE the ruling was made. The ruling was made AFTER the young man walked away from the official and there may have even been some baton throwing involved.

Whether we like it or not we are all bound to follow rules no matter whether we agree with them OR the people that make them. Nothing else matters. One of the MAJOR problems with our nation today is that we are practically eaten up with people who think that the rules do not apply to them and they should be allowed to do as they please.

An official judged that someone violated the rule and enforced it. I say good for him and I wish we had more people with the guts to enforce the rules for this type of behavior. Our standards have been sliding to hades for way too many years now and way too often we all just accept it and look the other way.

If you act like you are supposed to these types of things don't ever happen to you.

As much as I look for ANY reason to rip on the UIL for making stupid decisions this time ain't one of them.

I have read a couple of different accounts of what took place and talked to some folks that were there. This was NOT an example of someone praising God and being punished for it. There were "other" gestures involved combined with outright disrespect of a Meet Official who tried to talk to the offending young man BEFORE the ruling was made. The ruling was made AFTER the young man walked away from the official and there may have even been some baton throwing involved.

Whether we like it or not we are all bound to follow rules no matter whether we agree with them OR the people that make them. Nothing else matters. One of the MAJOR problems with our nation today is that we are practically eaten up with people who think that the rules do not apply to them and they should be allowed to do as they please.

An official judged that someone violated the rule and enforced it. I say good for him and I wish we had more people with the guts to enforce the rules for this type of behavior. Our standards have been sliding to hades for way too many years now and way too often we all just accept it and look the other way.

If you act like you are supposed to these types of things don't ever happen to you.

Well said friend

+1

Here is the problem with the UIL ruling. The race was over and then he made comment or gesture. How do you dq someone after the fact. How about taking a touchdown off the board for taunting after the touchdown. You can't.

During or before that is one thing; but not after the fact when someone has their feelings hurt.

Here is the problem with the UIL ruling. The race was over and then he made comment or gesture. How do you dq someone after the fact. How about taking a touchdown off the board for taunting after the touchdown. You can't.

During or before that is one thing; but not after the fact when someone has their feelings hurt.

You can take a td off the board in football for taunting if they taunt before crossing the goal line.

A friend of mine was there. In fact, KHOU used his photo in their report. He said the kid said something to another runner from Bellville and was disrespectful to officials who were trying to warn him that it could lead to DQ.

The worst part about it is KHOU turning it into an attack on Faith. It was not. The Christian faith is really being attacked 1000 times every day. No need to make stuff up. If you want to see how faith is being attacked google Alliance Defending Freedom. That's real. This story is not.

Also his gesture up could have been just that, or the fact he was facing the stands could mean something else. Again if the gesture was too God, then why the attitude to the official? Why not a simple yes sir and then celebrate with your friends?

+1

Well the problem is if he did jusy after he crossed the line then the race was not over. The others were still running. So ur point is invalid.