Softball State Tournament

Eagleborn

Even though softball has it's on board, we will allow some state tournament action on this board.

State tournament is underway with the 1As..

Beckville plays Weimar at 12:00pm to kick off action for ETx teams.

Today

Beckville (29-8) vs. Weimar (33-3), 12:00pm

Garrison (23-9) vs. Pilot Point (38-2-1), 3:00pm

Thursday

Lufkin Hudson (36-7-1) vs. Burkburnett (31-5-1), 9:00am

Mineola (30-8) vs. La Grange (38-3), 12:00pm

1A Final, 3:00pm

2a Final, 6:00pm

Saturday

3A Final, 10:00am

Anything else you want to know can be found here: http://www.uiltexas.org/softball/state

You can also watch the action live: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/pages/streaming_6

Are the Illegal pitches due to hopping? I know that was a big issue down south this year.

Not hopping or steps.

It was called a Balk. Something she had probably been doing all year, and never been called for. Don't think she knew what she was doing wrong from her actions as were the rest of us bewildered.

Later was given the reason she didn't bring the ball smoothly out of the glove, & looked like it was a second try. Nitpicking call.

Anyway Congratulations to the Ladycats, only loosing three seniors with lots Talent coming up. They will be Back.

Looked like a lot of the calls were going with the team that had been there before.

Not hopping or steps.

It was called a Balk. Something she had probably been doing all year, and never been called for. Don't think she knew what she was doing wrong from her actions as were the rest of us bewildered.

Later was given the reason she didn't bring the ball smoothly out of the glove, & looked like it was a second try. Nitpicking call.

Anyway Congratulations to the Ladycats, only loosing three seniors with lots Talent coming up. They will be Back.

Looked like a lot of the calls were going with the team that had been there before.

Umpires really need to work on making that call throughout the season instead of letting pitchers get blindsided in Austin. Those calls, plus walks, really put Beckville in an early hole. Ignoring the call for whatever reason does nothing but hurt the players as they get deeper into the playoffs.

The same thing happened two years ago to Lindsey in their semifinal against Shiner. It rattled the pitcher too much and Shiner went on to beat Grapeland 1-0 in the championship.

Most umps have never pitched or had any experience with fastpitch softball till they umpire the games...if you have no background in the sport or have never made the effort to learn what legal or illegal looks like it is just a guess on their part and if you are guessing you usually aren't going to call it because you have no confidence in the call.

Congrats on Hudson making the finals and going for back-to back championships...congrats to Mineola for making the finals also!

Most umps have never pitched or had any experience with fastpitch softball till they umpire the games...if you have no background in the sport or have never made the effort to learn what legal or illegal looks like it is just a guess on their part and if you are guessing you usually aren't going to call it because you have no confidence in the call.

True. I just hate it for Beckville. I think it could have been a much closer game if it weren't for the illegal pitches.

that falls on the coach as well..They knew she had been doing it all year. I saw it all year, illegal is illegal. part of the game and it didnt effect the girl from weimar. Beckville could have played them 10 times and got beat 9 of the 10. It just wasnt there day, they did nothing at the plate and walked more than illegal pitches.

that falls on the coach as well..They knew she had been doing it all year. I saw it all year, illegal is illegal. part of the game and it didnt effect the girl from weimar. Beckville could have played them 10 times and got beat 9 of the 10. It just wasnt there day, they did nothing at the plate and walked more than illegal pitches.

That's kinda what I was thinking too.

and local chapter umpires.

Several points to add regarding this post:

First of all its called an illegal pitch; not a balk. Balk is a baseball term. Yes it will show up in a box score or maybe in a stat line but it is an illegal pitch. My daughter pitches and I have never heard an umpire call her for a balk. They always say an illegal pitch.

Second of all, regarding the coaches. I know its not always the case but it appears a lot of high school programs are using football coaches to fill in as softball coaches. Reason I say this is my other daughter has just graduated and is looking for a high school softball coaching job. In looking at the THSCA website if you search for softball jobs a lot of them say something like, "Defensive Coordinator; second sport Head Softball" or something like that. Not all schools are like that I know but it just shows Football is King in Texas!!!

Next, a lot of high school coaches are not pitching experts. Most girls have their own pitching coach and the high school coach is not involved. I would guess some have no idea why a pitcher is illegal or not. Again, drawing on my own experience, my daughter's high school coach never in 4 years gave her any pitching instruction.

Finally, to the umpires. You see it at state softball tournament and you see it in college at the regional and world series, umpires calling illegal pitches. Pitcher looks at ump and coach like what did I do. Probably more so in high school. Reason I believe is several for high school:

1) Local umps don't know the proper illegal calls. I know of 2 local pitchers who IMO were illegal in high school but were rarely called. Got to college and struggled some because those umps enforced the rules.

2) Local umps don't want to be "scratched" by a high school coach if they call the team's pitcher for being illegal. Letting some of the calls for illegal pitches slide keeps them employed.

3) Also, I believe some umpires have an ego and want to show they are in charge so they will call illegal pitches in playoff games just to show that they aren't afraid to make that call.

Just my thoughts and opinion on this always touchy subject.

First of all its called an illegal pitch; not a balk. Balk is a baseball term. Yes it will show up in a box score or maybe in a stat line but it is an illegal pitch. My daughter pitches and I have never heard an umpire call her for a balk. They always say an illegal pitch.

Second of all, regarding the coaches. I know its not always the case but it appears a lot of high school programs are using football coaches to fill in as softball coaches. Reason I say this is my other daughter has just graduated and is looking for a high school softball coaching job. In looking at the THSCA website if you search for softball jobs a lot of them say something like, "Defensive Coordinator; second sport Head Softball" or something like that. Not all schools are like that I know but it just shows Football is King in Texas!!!

Next, a lot of high school coaches are not pitching experts. Most girls have their own pitching coach and the high school coach is not involved. I would guess some have no idea why a pitcher is illegal or not. Again, drawing on my own experience, my daughter's high school coach never in 4 years gave her any pitching instruction.

Finally, to the umpires. You see it at state softball tournament and you see it in college at the regional and world series, umpires calling illegal pitches. Pitcher looks at ump and coach like what did I do. Probably more so in high school. Reason I believe is several for high school:

1) Local umps don't know the proper illegal calls. I know of 2 local pitchers who IMO were illegal in high school but were rarely called. Got to college and struggled some because those umps enforced the rules.

2) Local umps don't want to be "scratched" by a high school coach if they call the team's pitcher for being illegal. Letting some of the calls for illegal pitches slide keeps them employed.

3) Also, I believe some umpires have an ego and want to show they are in charge so they will call illegal pitches in playoff games just to show that they aren't afraid to make that call.

You may be right about smaller high schools not having super qualified softball coaches, but 90% of 3A's and 99% of 4A/5A's have SOFTBALL coaches!!!

2nd. You are right. All the pitchers have "pitching coaches" and they only listen to them.. So HS coaches don't mess with them that much cuz it is a waste of breath! OH and if the pitcher is illegal, then she is being taught illegal or allowed to by her "pitching coach"..... Don't blame the HS coach.

First, Coach Whiddon is our SOFTBALL coach and he knows what he has forgot more about softball than what most people know. Second, luckydog13 has not been watching Beckville all year and knows she has been doing illegal pitches all year since he is from Harleton. Not blaming the loss on the umpires at all. He called her for an illegal pitch and it is what it is. The umps did not cause Beckville to lose the game. Weimar had the better team that day. But with that being said, it would have been a better game if the girls didn't get rattled so early. The pitcher from Mineola was called for 3-4 illegals also but was able to recover. Being older is a plus as our girl was a freshman. With our youth, we can get back. Our girls know it will not be easy and they will get everybody's best when they step on the field...Go Blue !!!

Actually I have seen a lot of Beckville this year..so your wrong there. she has done it in several games I saw. Two I am nowhere near Harleton so wrong twice. Back to the drawing board and 3 I said congrats on the young team making it they did well just couldn't make plays in the big game, fresh are freshmen. goodluck next yr

Your right in the fact that the local district umps don't know the rules and don't call it, but as a coach you need to know all phases of the game especially pitching. If they have a coach he should know as well, though asa and uil can get confusing. At the state game no ump is just gonna show off they tell them in between innings what is wrong with it and its up to the team to fix it

Beckville girls have no reason to hang their heads, they accomplished more than any previous team. They have alot of potential for a bright future also.

It's a shame it was the 38th game of the year before an illegal pitch was called, but, that's the way it goes and it can be fixed. Chalk it up as a learning experience and reload.

Congrats to Weimar & Good Luck to Mineola & Hudson!

At the state game no ump is just gonna show off they tell them in between innings what is wrong with it and its up to the team to fix it

Who is they? Are you saying the umps warn the pitcher between innings?

Been to the high school state tournament 3 different times.....and IMO some umps will try and show off.