Over and under gun

parentofredheads

It's getting close to hubby's birthday time. He's going pheasant hunting in October. Himself wants an over and under gun.

Hubby's father and uncle are excellent marksman, go bird hunting all the time - they have field trial dogs, etc., etc. Neither of whom use an over and under. (Figures!) LOL Got their advice, though, on which would be the best.

I've read so much about it at this point, I think I can write a research paper on it.

We went to the gun show this past weekend at Longview - no luck. Went to Academy as someone had said something about the cheap ones they had weren't bad - too cheap, too light, not happening.

Hubby likes the Browning Citori White Lightening. Okay, I made the mistake of getting a Browning catalog. LOL

This is something he wants to pass on to the boys, so it needs to be nice. Price isn't an issue, so to speak, but there comes a time when it's just FLAT STUPID, I'm not spending a ton of money on something he won't use but maybe once or twice a year.

I/we have been on many gun auction sites, saw a Citori Lightening IV something or another - used, super nice looking gun, and he's all about the grain of the wood on the gun - don't blame him, tons of difference there.

So if you can give me any kind of feedback, I'd appreciate it. It'll be a 12 gauge, 28 inch barrel. After that...well......not to mention hubby found out that the Citoris are made in Japan... he really wanted something made in the US.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of people use over and unders for upland bird hunting....not so much for waterfowl but I've seen a few.

Now if I may recommend something, I personally own a Weatherby Orion and a Franchi Renaissance. I really have been pleased with both of them. You are probably looking at the $1500 (approx) range for either one. I'm not a big fan of Browning firearms in general, but I'm not knocking them....just a personal preference. Do you know if your husband has his eye on anything in particular?

Lots of people use over and unders for upland bird hunting....not so much for waterfowl but I've seen a few.

Now if I may recommend something, I personally own a Weatherby Orion and a Franchi Renaissance. I really have been pleased with both of them. You are probably looking at the $1500 (approx) range for either one. I'm not a big fan of Browning firearms in general, but I'm not knocking them....just a personal preference. Do you know if your husband has his eye on anything in particular?

He likes the Browning Citori White Lightening...I think we've looked at the Franchi, but I don't know about the Weatherby.

But I'll look at those, and thanks for the info.

Its my rule that if you are buying a gun under $1000 you by a Mosberg or Remmington 1100. If you are going above $1000 go ahead an buy a Benneli. Just do it. You'l be happy'r that way an you can get it over-under if ya want.

Its my rule that if you are buying a gun under $1000 you by a Mosberg or Remmington 1100. If you are going above $1000 go ahead an buy a Benneli. Just do it. You'l be happy'r that way an you can get it over-under if ya want.

Dude are you just saying that 'cause you know I have a Benelli ? Simply perfect! ...of course Franchi and Benelli are both really Barettas. I also have a Rem 870 which is honestly, my favorite shotgun. My first shotgun was a .410 snake charmer made in Texas.

Dude are you just saying that 'cause you know I have a Benelli ? Simply perfect! ...of course Franchi and Benelli are both really Barettas. I also have a Rem 870 which is honestly, my favorite shotgun. My first shotgun was a .410 snake charmer made in Texas.

You need to change your name to ThatPerfectGirl, I like the Remington 870 too. I also had a couple of 410 snake charmers till the Game Wardens took em. Said they didn't want me to hurt myself. I had em cut off at the butt and the barrels was 8". I no they prolly play'n with'em rite now an laffin at me.

You need to change your name to ThatPerfectGirl, I like the Remington 870 too. I also had a couple of 410 snake charmers till the Game Wardens took em. Said they didn't want me to hurt myself. I had em cut off at the butt and the barrels was 8". I no they prolly play'n with'em rite now an laffin at me.

How about ThatSimplyPerfectGirl and I change my av to the Benelli logo?...but the ThatGirl is for St.Jude's and the pink T is for breast cancer survivors.

How about ThatSimplyPerfectGirl and I change my av to the Benelli logo?...but the ThatGirl is for St.Jude's and the pink T is for breast cancer survivors.

Bennelli is great but O well the St.Judes is good to.

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/versa-max/versa-max-waterfowl.aspx

For the money, the Remington Versa Max is about as good as it gets if you are looking for a functional and reliable shotgun.

Oh, horrors, no wood? He's a fanatic about the wood grain. I put in a bid on a gun that was probably originally over $4,000, a used one... he said he'd rather have a super good used one, than one that was just "okay"...he wants something that can be passed down to the boys, etc. I think I'm probably going to get outbid, and I'm going to have to go "shopping" next week. UGH!

I know what you mean about the old classic wooden stocked guns. Most of my prized possession of long guns have beautiful wooden stocks and I wouldn't take anything for them. I never really got into the synthetic stocks until a few years ago. For everyday use and functionality, I have to admit the synthetics have a lot of advantages although they are pretty bland looking.

Oh, horrors, no wood? He's a fanatic about the wood grain. I put in a bid on a gun that was probably originally over $4,000, a used one... he said he'd rather have a super good used one, than one that was just "okay"...he wants something that can be passed down to the boys, etc. I think I'm probably going to get outbid, and I'm going to have to go "shopping" next week. UGH!

Maybe kirt isn't understanding what your husband wants.....which is a nice O/U shotgun. I like synthetic stocks for duck hunting but I don't think that's what you're looking for here. I am a little confused about why your asking for recommendations if you already know what he wants? Just get the Citori

He likes the Citoris because well, we have a catalog.. LOL... he can see it better than say, on the web. Course some of those Citoris look like they need to be in a glass case hung on the wall versus walking around in weeds hunting for birds...

Bid on one, got outbid...I've heard about a shop or two in Longview that I need to go visit. Thanks for the advice, and I'll be looking at the Rugers as well.

He likes the Citoris because well, we have a catalog.. LOL... he can see it better than say, on the web. Course some of those Citoris look like they need to be in a glass case hung on the wall versus walking around in weeds hunting for birds...

That's the problem I have with some of my firearms, I don't want to get them dinged up or scratched. I have made a few people mad, including my youngest son, for not letting him "borrow" a couple of them.

Bid on one, got outbid...I've heard about a shop or two in Longview that I need to go visit. Thanks for the advice, and I'll be looking at the Rugers as well.

Ruger red labels are kinda plain and boring

:wacko:

parent, get him a Ruger red label O/U, used of course.

My dad has one of those, but I doubt it will be passed on to both my brother and I - sharing anything inherited other than DNA doesn't usually work out too well.