Over and under gun

parentofredheads

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not particularly fond of the Rugers. I think they are nice guns especially in 20ga and parent was asking for advice for other shotguns to look at besides what her husband has already decided.

A Dick Cheney commemorative might be worth looking at if only it were manufactured in 12ga. I might still consider it in 28ga for upland game birds especially if I still had a 28ga loader.

Oh I agree they are good quality. It just sounded like he might want something with a little more flash. I'm a big fan of Ruger revolvers

I bought a S&W .357 magnum model 686 stainless with a 6" barrel, I keep it in my nightstand. I use Hornaday Critical Defense 125 gr. FTX loads. It's by far the sweetest shooting, most accurate handgun I have ever fired. These come in 6,7, or 8 shot cylinders. I opted for the 7 shot cylinder. The 8 shot cylinder looked too "crowded" and the cylinder walls looked a little thin to suit me. It's a very solid revolver.... I think it's the best full size revolver on the market.

I bought a S&W .357 magnum model 686 stainless with a 6" barrel, I keep it in my nightstand. I use Hornaday Critical Defense 125 gr. FTX loads. It's by far the sweetest shooting, most accurate handgun I have ever fired. These come in 6,7, or 8 shot cylinders. I opted for the 7 shot cylinder. The 8 shot cylinder looked too "crowded" and the cylinder walls looked a little thin to suit me. It's a very solid revolver.... I think it's the best full size revolver on the market.

Hornady ammo is the only way to go. The only way to beat Hornady ammo is to make your own Hot-loads and that can be dangerous if you don't know what youre doing. Man, me and Haysead could tell ya some deer camp stories right now!

Does the S&W cave in to the Clinton gun control not bother you?

The boycott's worked. S&W lost profit then the company was sold to Saf-T-Hammer, an American company who refused to honor the agreement made with the Clinton Admin. Tomkins Corp, who owned S&W at the time of the cave in to Clinton was a UK company. The agreement legally ended with the Saf-T-Hammer acquisition of S&W due to the lack of a successor clause even though the Bush Admin never actually rescinded the HUD part of the Clinton agreement. Does the Bush Admin's failure to formally void this agreement not bother you?

S&W has done nothing to try and have the agreement legally rescinded. I'm sure the new owners are far more pro 2nd amendment than the Brits were, but I'm still not ever going to be a S&W guy. For one thing, I'm not buying a revolver with an internal lock and key....that's just stupid. I'm not saying S&W is junk. If you like their products then hey good for you. I just don't think they make anything superior to other stuff that is out there. Especially given the fact that the other major makers never sold out to the libs

I like the Glock .40 cal service revolver or the Colt .357 I mentioned earlier. There's really no need to bring S&W into the conversation. They just bring nothing to the table. If the British new how to handle weaponry as good as us tea-chunkers they'd still be calling the shots here.

I like the Glock .40 cal service revolver or the Colt .357 I mentioned earlier. There's really no need to bring S&W into the conversation. They just bring nothing to the table. If the British new how to handle weaponry as good as us tea-chunkers they'd still be calling the shots here.

Glocks are top notch in quality. One of my buddies bought an S&P so I just asked him why he didn't just buy the real thing instead of a clone. He had no answer lol

S&W has done nothing to try and have the agreement legally rescinded. I'm sure the new owners are far more pro 2nd amendment than the Brits were, but I'm still not ever going to be a S&W guy. For one thing, I'm not buying a revolver with an internal lock and key....that's just stupid. I'm not saying S&W is junk. If you like their products then hey good for you. I just don't think they make anything superior to other stuff that is out there. Especially given the fact that the other major makers never sold out to the libs

The only .357 magnum revolver I have ever seen that is even close to the S&W 686 is the Colt Python. I had a Python a few years ago and sold it when I bought the 686. I haven't seen anything else I like that is even close, and I have shot a lot of revolvers. Try one with Hogue grips , and you'll be sold.

The lock and key is redundant....I thought all guns require and internal key.....it's called a "Cartridge".

The lock and key is redundant....I thought all guns require and internal key.....it's called a "Cartridge".

Ask S&W, not me.

But yes, all of their new revolvers have internal locks with an actual key, as well as some of their automatics. If your gun is locked, without the key it is useless. My guess is the Safe t hammer company wanted to incorporate their products/technology.....and probably for political correctness reasons as well. I'm frankly not impressed. I have read about some of these IL failures, and while I'm sure they are rare I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

Kirt, older Smiths do not have the locks. Here's a good read I found from your friend Ayoob on the subject

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2009/09/03/internal-gun-locks/

Ask S&W, not me.

But yes, all of their new revolvers have internal locks with an actual key, as well as some of their automatics. If your gun is locked, without the key it is useless. My guess is the Safe t hammer company wanted to incorporate their products/technology.....and probably for political correctness reasons as well. I'm frankly not impressed. I have read about some of these IL failures, and while I'm sure they are rare I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

Kirt, older Smiths do not have the locks. Here's a good read I found from your friend Ayoob on the subject

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2009/09/03/internal-gun-locks/

I bought mine from a dealer on gunbroker.com that bought several of them that actually came with the internal lock, he had a gunsmith remove the lock on some of them, mine included.