UIL rolls out realignment details

Guest 4to3

Think I talked about Tatum's #'s in the first realignment thread a while back.

UIL wants more schools in 3A (or new 4A). Tatum's fate will probably depend on whether or not the UIL wants more 2A (or new 3A) schools to move up, or bring down some 4A (or new 5A) schools.

I have always been under the imprssion that they basically decide on how many will be in 5A/6A and tthe ball rolls down hill

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been under the imprssion that they basically decide on how many will be in 5A/6A and tthe ball rolls down hill

That's pretty much how it works. And they start the districts out in panhandle and go clockwise. That's why you get some interesting districts by the time you get in region 3 and 4.

I'm just pulling this out of this air number wise, but they basically pick say 250 and find the number that puts them as close to that as possible in 5/6a

Looking at the projections for 4A-1 for East Texas and, barring major changes in enrollment, then L-E, Paris, North Lamar will find themselves on district islands. Either that trio goes way southeast to group with the likes of Kilgore, Henderson, Carthage, Chapel Hill, Brownsboro, Athens or you could potentially have a Red River northern alliance that stetches from Gainesville to Texarkana.

I'm all for equity in competition, but the price you pay for comparable district groupings with excess travel, lost instructional time and inconvenience far outweighs what you might gain. I'd rather see district alignments that make more geographical sense even if they cross classification boundaries with a separate system of pairings for playoffs or contests based on enrollment. Let everyone be eligible to make the playoff bracket for their size grouping. We're not far from that now.

Remember this is only for football. Teams can make their pre district so the long travel will may only be for 2 or 3 games of which 1 or 2 would be home games. Say you had LE, NL, Paris, Carthage, Kilgore, and Hend in a district you would have 3 long trips in 2 years.

Looking at the projections for 4A-1 for East Texas and, barring major changes in enrollment, then L-E, Paris, North Lamar will find themselves on district islands. Either that trio goes way southeast to group with the likes of Kilgore, Henderson, Carthage, Chapel Hill, Brownsboro, Athens or you could potentially have a Red River northern alliance that stetches from Gainesville to Texarkana.

I'm all for equity in competition, but the price you pay for comparable district groupings with excess travel, lost instructional time and inconvenience far outweighs what you might gain. I'd rather see district alignments that make more geographical sense even if they cross classification boundaries with a separate system of pairings for playoffs or contests based on enrollment. Let everyone be eligible to make the playoff bracket for their size grouping. We're not far from that now.

Gonna be some late late Tuesday night/Wednesday morning arrivals home.

The new 4A (currently 3A) will try to have 100 schools in each division. Look for the ceiling number to be around 1050. This will send some low end 5A's ( what is now 4A) down to 4A DI. I do not expect the bottom number to change much.

450-750 for D-2 and 750-1050 for D-1 sounds reasonable if the number of schools is roughly the same.

The new 4A (currently 3A) will try to have 100 schools in each division. Look for the ceiling number to be around 1050. This will send some low end 5A's ( what is now 4A) down to 4A DI. I do not expect the bottom number to change much.

East Texas teams & possible new 4A

Tatum 448

Palestine Westwood 448.5

Mineola 454

Spring Hill 507

Atlanta 510

Canton 566

Diboll 502

Rusk 570

Gladewater 586

Pleasant Grove 593

Bullard 594

Center 624

Gilmer 629

Van 655

Pittsburg 660

Quinlan-Ford 693

Liberty Eylau 730

Carthage 741

--------------------------(possible cutoff?)

Wills Point 778

Palestine 802

Brownsboro 870

Henderson 888

Paris 891

North Lamar 892

Athens 917

Mabank 946

Chapel Hill 961

Kilgore 968

Lindale 1090

I don't know how representative East Texas is of the rest of the state, but it looks like the number separating D-1& D-2 might have to be closer to 650.

What do yall think?

I really don't know where that cutoff is gonna fall. We really don't know where the bottom number of that class will be either. When you look at the small schools the UiL has already said they are bumbling the bottom number up 5. When looking at the old 1A cutoff, just 5 kids brings several more schools into the picture. Those same schools have to be replaced by raising the top number, which raises the bottom number of the next class and so on and so forth. We may actually see a case where the new class 4A shrinks as far as the gap between the bottom enrollment and the top enrollment.

450-750 for D-2 and 750-1050 for D-1 sounds reasonable if the number of schools is roughly the same.

D-2 would have the harder road, there is a much bigger difference between sizes 450 and 750 than schools of 751 and 1050.

A more even split, size wise, would be 450 to 684 and D-1 being 685 to 1050. Also, just a coincidence but that would equal a 13 to 13 split between 4-D1 & D2 teams listed in the example.

I think everyone on here has forgotten the main factor in this mathematical equation.

They take Highland Park's number and put it at the top of a division then go up for next division. and go down for other divisions.

Lake Travis's numbers will have probably moved them up but extra care will be taken to make sure a Lake Travis does't fall in the division with the Scott's.

Any chance SS drops down to 4A-Div 1?

I think everyone on here has forgotten the main factor in this mathematical equation.

They take Highland Park's number and put it at the top of a division then go up for next division. and go down for other divisions.

Lake Travis's numbers will have probably moved them up but extra care will be taken to make sure a Lake Travis does't fall in the division with the Scott's.

Finally a statement backed up by history.

I vote for that but I see 700 is the break...there are a number of "metro" schools that are increasing size.

yep... I really don't get into the realignment stuff like some others do, because its like trying to be a mind reader. Noone knows exactly what the UIL will do. Unless you have all of the numbers and the regional maps, etc. it's hard to guess who will wind up where. But, I'm glad some folks like it because it's fun to look at some of the projections.

I believe the 3a split was really needed glad to see it finally happen.