Week 0: Winona at Overton

Mr. P

WEEK 0: Winona at Overton  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

aNRUHc6.jpgGo8VZ6P.jpg

Last year Class 2A Winona jumped out to a quick lead on Class 1A Overton and then just poured it on, with the game finishing a 52-22 non-district home win for the Wildcats. In this year's season opener, Winona travels to Coach Chester Roy Stadium in Overton, where the Mustangs haven't lost a game since 2011.

How do these two teams match up? Which team has the advantage? Who do you think is gonna come away with the win?

Hey, I really appreciate y'all weighing in on who you think is gonna win, but I'm really curious as to why?

Winona leads the voting by about a 2-to-1 margin, which seems to indicate a rather heavy favorite — and that's cool — but what exactly factors into that? What's Winona got coming back from last year's playoff team? How have they looked in scrimmages thus far? WW fans have been rather quiet on Smoaky. Even my Wino kinfolk haven't been crowing about the Wildcats this year. Most curious.

I haven't made my "official" prediction yet, I'm still looking at all the variables, so I'd value any input from the Wildcat faithful...

Well, I was really surprised last year by the Winona win, did not see that one coming...at least not by that margin...

Overton lost their QB to graduation...a very strong RB/LB...three good linemen...plus 4 other seniors that were big contibutors on offense and defense....but there are several WR's leftover and the new Jr QB is making tremendous stides...threw for three TD's in last week scrimmage against a 2A DII school (would have had 4, but was dropped in endzone, agh)...he moved well in the pocket and avoided the rush...our main RB/DB is strong and we don't lose much if he sits out a couple of plays...so offensively, I think Overton can move the ball...

Defense...there is where I have some concerns...hopefully the new LB's will step up and make some plays...the potential is there...they just need to be aggressive...

I say Overton by 6...

Defense...there is where I have some concerns...hopefully the new LB's will step up and make some plays...the potential is there...they just need to be aggressive...

Good points, all. Defense is the story of this season. We've got be able to contain, and force three-and-outs.

Winona will have its best team since the 94 season. I expect backups to be playing befor half...

OVDQwyK.gif Uh, okay... um, care to elaborate? I mean, I haven't heard anything to this effect from anyone I know in Winona.

Unless they're all totally yanking my chain (which, I admit, is a possibility), Wildcat expectations are hopeful, but tempered. What do you know that none of them do?

The year they went 5-4-2?

I'm detecting sarcasm from JJ here, Ronster... I think it might be a thinly-veiled swipe at Winona's struggles of late. But I do agree with the overall sentiment, Coach Evans, Jr. seems to have things going in the right direction. From 1-9 to 5-5 is a heckuva turnaround.

going with the cats it should be a good game winona lost some key lineman like marsh and niclos lost qb and some outstanding running backs but have more to step in have alot of speed and the lineman they have this year are strong and fast they will hit you just to name a few have stepping up to take over hart, boyed, wilson,jacobs. runnig backs this year are faster then ive seen in winona in a while new qb this year just a 10th grader going to be fun to watch good luck to both teams

Well, as much as it pains me to do so, I've got to respect the facts... the facts are that the defense is still just too inexperienced and Winona brings back much of the backfield that lit us up last year. We lost two of our best defenders to graduation (Jesse Roach and Greg Moore) and the kids who're replacing them are green as gourds. They'll get better in time for district, but that's still a few weeks away.

Though I think our offense will be able to keep us in it at the outset, I think broken tackles and misreads are gonna give Winona too many opportunities down the stretch.

Wildcats win 48-27.

Good game Wildcats, heckuva job coaching 'em up Scott Evans!

Y'know, I should be upset by a 46-26 shellacking at home, but I'm actually rather impressed.

Defense looked better that I thought it would (two Winona TDs were kick returns) and the o-line has come a LONG way. Special Teams is a glaring weakness right now but it's good to realize that early in pre-district, eh? We had about a half-dozen fumbles that killed some great drives and sapped our motivation. The young kids are tough, and they learn from their mistakes quickly. I saw adjustments as the game wore on. Ultimately Winona's depth wore us down.

In short, we're way ahead of where we were at this point last year, but we still have a lot of work to do.