Week 1 is in the books. Who ya got in the Big XII?

dago29

Well, after taking a look at the ol' ballclubs in Week 1, how do you see the conference shaping up? I still see it this way.....

1. Texas (offense can be explosive, defense has improved, but there's still a long way to go)

2. TCU (dangerous, unpredictable team)

3. Oklahoma St. (maybe the QB battle is over)

4. Oklahoma (gotta get more passing than that)

5. Baylor (the defense needs to go up against a true offense for me to be convinced)

6. Texas Tech (you gave up 23 points to GARRETT GILBERT, not impressed)

7. Iowa State (ummmm, I got nothing here)

8. K-State (Yeah, they're the defending National Champions, but they're the FCS National Champions)

9. West Virginia (you almost lost to William AND Mary...shouldn't lose to either, LOL)

10. Kansas (it's still KU)

What's your view?

I don't think anyone really proved anything, except maybe OU and OSU's defense. While I agree that OU has to do better passing, I also disagree that they have to stick with the air it out approach they have to compete in the conference. OU's new offense will resemble what Kaepernick did at Nevada, and that was just as explosive as any.

Texas also looked good last year against bad competition and started bleeding when they faced decent teams.

TCU looked good and bad. Offense isn't going to win many games for them so defense is going to have to bring it.

OSU looked good once they settled in. Miss State isn't good though, regardless of their SEC tag.

Baylor can score, but we knew that.

Tech giving up 23 to a June Jones offense isn't a problem, especially under a new HC and in the season opener. SMU could compete for a conference title this season and may surprise some people.

WVU, KSU and ISU have a long way to go.

Like I said in another post, the top to bottom depth of the conference won't be an argument this season. For now, It's KU, ISU and WVU at the bottom, Tech and KSU competing and everyone else

why Baylor? TCU played a very very good team and made it interesting. Baylor played Wofford. I think John Tyler beats Wofford! If they didn't hang that many points on them, I would have been worried.

You really have to look at who they played too. TCU by far had the toughest opponent. No one else even compared.

Give it another couple of weeks before you make any predictions. Anything can happen between now and then!

Well, after taking a look at the ol' ballclubs in Week 1, how do you see the conference shaping up? I still see it this way.....

1. Texas (offense can be explosive, defense has improved, but there's still a long way to go)

2. TCU (dangerous, unpredictable team)

3. Oklahoma St. (maybe the QB battle is over)

4. Oklahoma (gotta get more passing than that)

5. Baylor (the defense needs to go up against a true offense for me to be convinced)

6. Texas Tech (you gave up 23 points to GARRETT GILBERT, not impressed)

7. Iowa State (ummmm, I got nothing here)

8. K-State (Yeah, they're the defending National Champions, but they're the FCS National Champions)

9. West Virginia (you almost lost to William AND Mary...shouldn't lose to either, LOL)

10. Kansas (it's still KU)

What's your view?

1. OU

2. TCU

3. Texas

4. OSU

5. Baylor

6-10. Trash

I agree, its too early to tell.

OSU's win over MS St was not that impressive. Yes, they won by 18 points but I was expecting MUCH WORSE. Most of OSU's points were not scored until Ms St lost two of its defensive starters. Also, their QB went out early 3rd quarter, however, I do not think the outcome would have been much different.

Ms St has a very young team especially on defense and their offensive line was raked close to the bottom in the SEC. Still, you have to give OSU credit, they did dominate the line of scrimmage and although they could not pass they did produce yards on the ground. OSU will have to be able to score more that 3 TD's per game to win the big 12 though! Okie st will have to find some offense if they are to stand a chance. Do not think okie's defense is as good as it looked. ms st's offense is not very good at all.

Texas, well, they did not play anyone but at least they beat them like they should have. That is always a good sign.

Oklahoma beat a team that was pretty good last year but it is too early to see if La Monroe has the same caliber team as they had last year. Still a good win.

T. Tech - they did ok, struggled early with SMU who is no powerhouse but as the game progressed. Tech got their offense going and looked pretty good and their defense sacked SMU's QB all night long. Still, no big 12 title for them this year.

K St- well nuff said. The same goes for W. va., kansas and Iowa st.

Baylor, too early and they did not play anyone. However, like texas, at least they beat them like they should have.

I see a two team, possibly 3 team race between Texas, Oklahoma and if they can play consistent, TCU.

TCU by far played the best opponent and looked pretty good. If they continue to get better, I see them challenging for the title.

All good points. TCU really moved up my poll, I had them fifth to start the season. Boykin may end up being the man before the end of the season. He looks ahead of Pachall right now, but if Casey can shake the rust he might be okay.

How many FCS school should consider making the jump to BCS? Wow, what a weekend of David and Goliaths. Big props to EWU over ORST and McNeese walloping So. Fla.

Too many people on here and elsewhere are too quick to judge a book by its cover when they do not take into consideration the text between the cover (content). There are some good teams in what FCS level and people are too quick to dismiss them. Often time reams are criticized for playing them and not playing a FBS school. Some of these FCS schools are actually better than some of the D1 teams that are scheduled early in the year and even better than a few teams in the majo conferences especially when those conference teams are not very good and do not get up for the game. When the FCS teams play the FBS teams it is like the Super Bowl for them and for the FBS schools, well. they consider that they are playing nobody. When that happens, they get embarrassed!!!

Too many people on here and elsewhere are too quick to judge a book by its cover when they do not take into consideration the text between the cover (content). There are some good teams in what FCS level and people are too quick to dismiss them. Often time reams are criticized for playing them and not playing a FBS school. Some of these FCS schools are actually better than some of the D1 teams that are scheduled early in the year and even better than a few teams in the majo conferences especially when those conference teams are not very good and do not get up for the game. When the FCS teams play the FBS teams it is like the Super Bowl for them and for the FBS schools, well. they consider that they are playing nobody. When that happens, they get embarrassed!!!

You know why it's a big deal? These FCS schools are paid $100k or more to ride up to Austin, College Station, Baton Rouge, Manhatten, etc etc to get pummeled. That's the only reason it's a big deal. They are paid to be a glorified practice for the powers then they win. Could you imagine Waskom going to Longview and winning? That would make national headlines.

You know why it's a big deal? These FCS schools are paid $100k or more to ride up to Austin, College Station, Baton Rouge, Manhatten, etc etc to get pummeled. That's the only reason it's a big deal. They are paid to be a glorified practice for the powers then they win. Could you imagine Waskom going to Longview and winning? That would make national headlines.

OU payed ULM a million bucks to come to Norman. They are going to make 3.9 million more off future games in the SEC. They also have one of the most efficient athletic departments in the country.

I agree, its too early to tell.

OSU's win over MS St was not that impressive. Yes, they won by 18 points but I was expecting MUCH WORSE. Most of OSU's points were not scored until Ms St lost two of its defensive starters. Also, their QB went out early 3rd quarter, however, I do not think the outcome would have been much different.

Ms St has a very young team especially on defense and their offensive line was raked close to the bottom in the SEC. Still, you have to give OSU credit, they did dominate the line of scrimmage and although they could not pass they did produce yards on the ground. OSU will have to be able to score more that 3 TD's per game to win the big 12 though! Okie st will have to find some offense if they are to stand a chance. Do not think okie's defense is as good as it looked. ms st's offense is not very good at all.

Last year when many of us labeled Miss State as the average, or less than, team that they are we were reamed for it because after all, they play in the SEC.

Yet here they are losing to a Big 12 team and one of the same people that defended them last year is now downplaying them and the game by Ok State.

Why am I not surprised?!

Last year when many of us labeled Miss State as the average, or less than, team that they are we were reamed for it because after all, they play in the SEC.

Yet here they are losing to a Big 12 team and one of the same people that defended them last year is now downplaying them and the game by Ok State.

Why am I not surprised?!

I think they started 5-0 last year and are 1-7 since, or something like that. They had a solid secondary and a lot of heart, but that's about it.

All good points. TCU really moved up my poll, I had them fifth to start the season. Boykin may end up being the man before the end of the season. He looks ahead of Pachall right now, but if Casey can shake the rust he might be okay.

How many FCS school should consider making the jump to BCS? Wow, what a weekend of David and Goliaths. Big props to EWU over ORST and McNeese walloping So. Fla.

Pachall had enough time through summer workouts and fall camp to clearly distinguish himself. That job is for Boykin to lose.

Why am I not surprised?!

Last year, I defended MS St before the season stated when a few people on here said both them and Ole Ms we "TERRIBLE" and I said they were not. This was after Ole ms went two years without winning a conference game and MS St was coming a couple years off of Crooms Tomb!

I said they were not or more accurately MS St was not Terrible, they were average or a little better. I said what Ole MS needed most of all was an attitude adjustment and that thought Freeze would do his best to give them one because this was the job he always wanted, he was a cheerleader of sorts but a believer. Also, I said for the past couple of years before under Nutt, they are not good at all. I said their attitude was terrible but the team had potential. I believe I was proved right in both cases. MS ST turned out to be a little better then average and Ole Ms showed they were not terrible and developed a great attitude and ended up better then average! A far cry from terrible!!!!

Ms St's offense last year did pretty good but that was against lesser opponents, when they got to the heart of their schedule, they did about what they did yesterday. However Ms St lost a lot of their below average offense from last year. They lost their 4 top receivers and several lineman!!! Bumphis was thier main man and he was the biggest loss!!!

I stand by what I said, if okie st does not find more ofense, they can forget about challengiong for the big 12. They only passed for 145 yards!!! True, Ms St does have good DB's, they always have but they have no pass rush. you should not be able to hold receiver forever! When was the last time okie st only passed for 145 yards and only scored 21 points? You have to go back to Sat, Oct 31, vs Texas that okies state scored 21 point or less! So, you have to go back almost 4 years (4 seasons) that they have scored so few points and against a team picked to finish around 11th or 12th in the SEC

OU payed ULM a million bucks to come to Norman. They are going to make 3.9 million more off future games in the SEC. They also have one of the most efficient athletic departments in the country. (quote) sawenoff

You know why it's a big deal? These FCS schools are paid $100k or more to ride up to Austin, College Station, Baton Rouge, Manhatten, etc etc to get pummeled. That's the only reason it's a big deal. (quote) Mavgrad99

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have no problem with D1 teams playing a DIAA (FCS) schools, I think it is great for college football and it is the American dream, a chance to cheer for the underdog!!! However, one per season is enough. It help the D1aa schools tremendously in money, prestige and recruiting. I think it really help if the schools are in state too! If this new sham of a playoff eliminates giving these DIAA schools a shot at the big boy and the money they desperately need and deserve, that would be the biggest shame shame in college football, not the sorry excuse of a secrete selection committee to pick a playoff that will be dominated by teams or conferences who were never good enough to begin with to get in on their on merits!!! (big 10 and pac 12 just you wait and see)

OU payed ULM a million bucks to come to Norman. They are going to make 3.9 million more off future games in the SEC. They also have one of the most efficient athletic departments in the country. (quote) sawenoff

You know why it's a big deal? These FCS schools are paid $100k or more to ride up to Austin, College Station, Baton Rouge, Manhatten, etc etc to get pummeled. That's the only reason it's a big deal. (quote) Mavgrad99

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have no problem with D1 teams playing a DIAA (FCS) schools, I think it is great for college football and it is the American dream, a chance to cheer for the underdog!!! However, one per season is enough. It help the D1aa schools tremendously in money, prestige and recruiting. I think it really help if the schools are in state too! If this new sham of a playoff eliminates giving these DIAA schools a shot at the big boy and the money they desperately need and deserve, that would be the biggest shame shame in college football, not the sorry excuse of a secrete selection committee to pick a playoff that will be dominated by teams or conferences who were never good enough to begin with to get in on their on merits!!! (bid 12 and pac 12 just you wait and see)

I don't really know what your ( ) meant...but I can't help but detect ignorace. elaborate?

Last year, I defended MS St before the season stated when a few people on here said both them and Ole Ms we "TERRIBLE" and I said they were not. This was after Ole ms went two years without winning a conference game and MS St was coming a couple years off of Crooms Tomb!

I said they were not or more accurately MS St was not Terrible, they were average or a little better. I said what Ole MS needed most of all was an attitude adjustment and that thought Freeze would do his best to give them one because this was the job he always wanted, he was a cheerleader of sorts but a believer. Also, I said for the past couple of years before under Nutt, they are not good at all. I said their attitude was terrible but the team had potential. I believe I was proved right in both cases. MS ST turned out to be a little better then average and Ole Ms showed they were not terrible and developed a great attitude and ended up better then average! A far cry from terrible!!!!

Ms St's offense last year did pretty good but that was against lesser opponents, when they got to the heart of their schedule, they did about what they did yesterday. However Ms St lost a lot of their below average offense from last year. They lost their 4 top receivers and several lineman!!! Bumphis was thier main man and he was the biggest loss!!!

I stand by what I said, if okie st does not find more ofense, they can forget about challengiong for the big 12. They only passed for 145 yards!!! True, Ms St does have good DB's, they always have but they have no pass rush. you should not be able to hold receiver forever! When was the last time okie st only passed for 145 yards and only scored 21 points? You have to go back to Sat, Oct 31, vs Texas that okies state scored 21 point or less! So, you have to go back almost 4 years (4 seasons) that they have scored so few points and against a team picked to finish around 11th or 12th in the SEC

You were proven right? Why's that, because Miss St won 7 straight against teams like Jackson State, Troy, South Alabama, Kentucky, and Middle Tennessee? Then when they finally started playing college teams instead of high school teams they get pounded....and that includes getting pounded by an average Ole Miss team!

But yea, you were proven right, lol! News flash, teams aren't automatically great just because they play in the SEC! Hate to burst your bubble.

I don't really know what your ( ) meant...but I can't help but detect ignorace. elaborate?

I meant to say big 10 and pac 12.

What I was saying was I like to see small schools get a shot at large schools for two reasons. One, is means a lot for the small school, two it gives the larger school a chance to not only give their starters work but it should also give a lot of players a chance to get in the game and gin game experience.

Two, these games are going to go away totally when the playoff comes and some of these small programs are going to fold or might as well fold because they will not have any money.

Last point, the selection committee will be dominated by big 10 and pac-12!

One last thing,You were proven right? Why's that, because Miss St won 7 straight against teams like Jackson State, Troy, South Alabama, Kentucky, and Middle Tennessee? Then when they finally started playing college teams instead of high school teams they get pounded....and that includes getting pounded by an average Ole Miss team!

But yea, you were proven right, lol! News flash, teams aren't automatically great just because they play in the SEC! Hate to burst your bubble.

Missiippi St was not terrible, they were a little above average. They won 8 games and went to a bowl and got beat. They beat the team they should have beat. They got beat by Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Ms and Northwesters. They beat the teams you mentioned as well as Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas and Troy. Also, you mentioned Middle Tennessee, they had a pretty good team last year, they finished 8-4. Just ask Georgia Tech, they got beat 49-28 by Middle Tennessee.

So, on one hand you were kind of sticking up for okie st by saying the win over ms st was a good win. Now you are bashing Ms St insinuating they were terrible last year. Which one is it??? Pick a side and stay there, do be wobbly!

Oh and you think I actually think any teams is great just because they play in the SEC???? Really???? I do believe they play in the best conference but that does not mean they have a great team! My Father coached Community College Football and High School Football for 22 years and I did play football in college, that does not make me an expert but I do happen to know a little bit about the sport!

One last thing, just to educate you on something you apparently know nothing about the records do not count when Ole Ms and Ms St play. It has never really matter much how good or how bad one or both teams were or are when these teams play the lesser beat the better as many times if not more than the better team beating the lesser team. By the end of the season last years, Ole Ms was better then an average team!

Missiippi St was not terrible, they were a little above average. They won 8 games and went to a bowl and got beat. They beat the team they should have beat. They got beat by Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Ms and Northwesters. They beat the teams you mentioned as well as Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas and Troy. Also, you mentioned Middle Tennessee, they had a pretty good team last year, they finished 8-4. Just ask Georgia Tech, they got beat 49-28 by Middle Tennessee. Okay, we're not talking about Auburn from 2010 here. We're not talking about Arkansas from 2011 here. We're talking about 2012 where both teams went 3-9 (and who were those 3 wins against....LA Monroe, New Mexico State, and Alabama A&M!) and 4-8 (and who were those 4 wins against....JV State, Auburn, Kentucky, and Tulsa) respectively! Again, just because those teams are in the SEC doesn't make them good.

So, on one hand you were kind of sticking up for okie st by saying the win over ms st was a good win. Now you are bashing Ms St insinuating they were terrible last year. Which one is it??? Pick a side and stay there, do be wobbly! When did I stick up for Ok State??? Go back and read my first response to you. You will see that I was telling you the exact same thing you're now trying to tell me....pick a side and stick with it! Don't defend Miss St when all they beat is garbage teams and then make excuses when a team from what you yourself has called an inferior team to that conference.

Oh and you think I actually think any teams is great just because they play in the SEC???? Really???? Yes! Because you imply it in nearly EVERY post!

I do believe they play in the best conference but that does not mean they have a great team! My Father coached Community College Football and High School Football for 22 years and I did play football in college, that does not make me an expert but I do happen to know a little bit about the sport! Good for you and your father. When did I say anything about you not knowing anything about football or implying that you think you're an expert? Not really sure what the point of saying any of this was.

One last thing, just to educate you on something you apparently know nothing about the records do not count when Ole Ms and Ms St play. It has never really matter much how good or how bad one or both teams were or are when these teams play the lesser beat the better as many times if not more than the better team beating the lesser team. By the end of the season last years, Ole Ms was better then an average team! Again, WHAT?! What does ANY of this have to do with what I said? Because records are thrown out the window in a rivalry game such as Miss St and Ole Miss...What does that prove?! Secondly, I never called Ole Miss garbage anyway, I called them average...Because they are. They lost 3 of their final 5 games. But you still make the comment "by season's end they were better than average"? Really? And you want to educate me....Okay :lol:

Thing is RedCreek, if you didn't have something to say about the SEC, you wouldn't have anything to say.