Week 1 is in the books. Who ya got in the Big XII?

dago29

Now getting back to the topic of the thread, I still think it's way too early to really change preseason predictions too much as most, not all, of the teams in the Big 12 played warm up games. The only team I would really change much from my preseason predictions would be TCU. While they lost, they showed just how competitive they will be this year. I also think Boykin give them their best chance to win.

So here are my predictions after week 1,

1-3...I still think it's a toss up between Ok State, TCU, and Texas

4. OU...but I think the way they played in week 1, they may be in my top 2-3 very soon. I had them picked 4th in my preseason prediction due to the questions on defense and at QB. I thought the defense was great and the QB was better than what I expected.

5. Baylor

6. Tech...I think they will be much improved and a bowl team, but still not a top 5 team in the conference

7-10....doesn't really matter. I think only 1-6 make bowl games this season.

Lobo, average is 6-6. When you are 7-6, you are better than average! I did not come on this thread to talk about the SEC. If you look at my first post, I came in here and commented on the big 12. The only comment I made about the SEC was in reference to okie st because I was commenting on their game and what I thought they were going to have to improve on in order to challenge for the title. I can't help who they payed, if they would have played anyone else as produced the same outcome, I would have said they needed to impprove their offense and never mention anything about the SEC. You were the one who wanted to jump on me and the SEC and moved this thread off the subject. So, go back and read my first post. I stick by it!

By the way, my Father died a couple of months ago, so I'm glad you did not slam him!

Lobo, average is 6-6. When you are 7-6, you are better than average! I did not come on this thread to talk about the SEC. If you look at my first post, I came in here and commented on the big 12. The only comment I made about the SEC was in reference to okie st because I was commenting on their game and what I thought they were going to have to improve on in order to challenge for the title. I can't help who they payed, if they would have played anyone else as produced the same outcome, I would have said they needed to impprove their offense and never mention anything about the SEC. You were the one who wanted to jump on me and the SEC and moved this thread off the subject. So, go back and read my first post. I stick by it!

By the way, my Father died a couple of months ago, so I'm glad you did not slam him!

Sorry for the loss of your father.

And while I typically would agree with you that 6-6 is average, I would also add that is also depends on who those 6 wins were against.

For example, by NCAA rules you have to win at least 6 games to be bowl eligible. However, if you play 2 FCS opponents, you have to win 7. Using that same concept, when Miss State has 2 of their 7 wins against Jackson State and Middle Tennessee, that negates just a bit those 7 wins in my opinion.

They don't hold teams to 3 points very often either.

That is true. however, in the big 12, they will need to score a lot of points. Perhaps their offense will come on. I suspect they will if past history has anything to do with predicting. I do realize it was their first game and they have a new QB so it may take a few games. As I said, its really too early to tell but all we have to go off of was the 1 and only game!

That is true. however, in the big 12, they will need to score a lot of points. Perhaps their offense will come on. I suspect they will if past history has anything to do with predicting. I do realize it was their first game and they have a new QB so it may take a few games. As I said, its really too early to tell but all we have to go off of was the 1 and only game!

big 12 is just like any conference, whoever scores the most wins. Big part of this is not letting other trams score.

Sorry for the loss of your father.

And while I typically would agree with you that 6-6 is average, I would also add that is also depends on who those 6 wins were against.

For example, by NCAA rules you have to win at least 6 games to be bowl eligible. However, if you play 2 FCS opponents, you have to win 7. Using that same concept, when Miss State has 2 of their 7 wins against Jackson State and Middle Tennessee, that negates just a bit those 7 wins in my opinion.

MTSU is FBS.

I meant to say big 10 and pac 12.

What I was saying was I like to see small schools get a shot at large schools for two reasons. One, is means a lot for the small school, two it gives the larger school a chance to not only give their starters work but it should also give a lot of players a chance to get in the game and gin game experience.

Two, these games are going to go away totally when the playoff comes and some of these small programs are going to fold or might as well fold because they will not have any money.

Last point, the selection committee will be dominated by big 10 and pac-12!

Have I missed something? Who said these games are going away or is that just speculation? These smaller programs won't fold. If junior colleges can manage to field teams, FCS teams can too.

You are right, it is speculation. I believe you will see a lot of teams who think they may have a chance to get into the playoff, will not risk scheduling the small programs out of fear it will reduce their strength of schedule that they may need if all things are equal.

Funding remains and will become even more of an issue for athletics. Some of these small programs depend on playing the Big Boys for a large part of their athletic budget. Jr. Colleges do not have a lot of the expenses these FCS and other small programs have. Travel is usually a lot closer for one and infrastructures for athletic programs are not usually as great. A lot of time some Jr College systems are better funded (comparing expenditures required) depending on the state and tax district and the other ways Jr. College get their money.

Some Jr. College get state, districe, local and federal money while some FCS schools only get state and federal money. At least that is how it works in Mississippi, I do not know how it works in other states. I grew up on a Jr. College campus, my mother the Department Chairmen/Chairperson of her department for 30 years years, and my cousin is about to retire from the Vice President position of the largest Jr. College system (5 campuses) in the state. So, I am familiar with how Jr. Colleges work in Mississippi.

You are right, it is speculation. I believe you will see a lot of teams who think they may have a chance to get into the playoff, will not risk scheduling the small programs out of fear it will reduce their strength of schedule that they may need if all things are equal.

Funding remains and will become even more of an issue for athletics. Some of these small programs depend on playing the Big Boys for a large part of their athletic budget. Jr. Colleges do not have a lot of the expenses these FCS and other small programs have. Travel is usually a lot closer for one and infrastructures for athletic programs are not usually as great. A lot of time some Jr College systems are better funded (comparing expenditures required) depending on the state and tax district and the other ways Jr. College get their money.

Some Jr. College get state, districe, local and federal money while some FCS schools only get state and federal money. At least that is how it works in Mississippi, I do not know how it works in other states. I grew up on a Jr. College campus, my mother the Department Chairmen/Chairperson of her department for 30 years years, and my cousin is about to retire from the Vice President position of the largest Jr. College system (5 campuses) in the state. So, I am familiar with how Jr. Colleges work in Mississippi.

When was the last time a team from a major conference got snubbed from the BCS for playing an FCS team. Unfortunately, losing to a top 10 Clemson hurts you more than beating an FCS team. That will never change. A strong SOS only matters if you win.

There may be some Sun Belt, CUSA and WAC teams by passes when teams look to strengthen their schedule. Several months ago people on this board was discussing how paying the FCS team would hurt team in the future and even some writers were writing about it and some reporters were talking about it. Maybe it will not happen, we will see.

Also, it was said in the future there would probably not be any undefeated teams because the playoffs were supposed to make teams play the strongest out of conference schedule possible and that would cause a lot of teams to lose, basally everyone would stand a good chance of having a loss or two and could still be in the playoffs!

I do agree, if you do not win enough, it does not matter who you have played!.

I agree with you. Miss St. is most def above average. If they were in any other conference, they would be an 9 win team, easy. Coach Mullen has SEC experience at Florida, & will right the ship. The OSU-esque losses will be a thing of the past soon.

As for the Big 12, it is really up for grabs. I watched the TCU game, and i'll tell ya, they can win the Big 12. They have a talented defense, & Boykin is a special athlete. They gave a good SEC team a run for their money, just think what they will do to the Big 12 competition!

I liked TCU before the season and like them just as much now. I have no idea why the HC is trying a 2 QB system, and TCU was without their best defensive player and still had a good chance against LSU. I think they are the favorites

It wasn't a 2 QB system coming into the game. If you notice, Pachall's throws were low and getting batted down constantly early. Then when he fixed that, he was just ineffective. Boykin came in and lit a fire under the offense. Pachall didn't touch the field again that game... That is far from a 2 QB system.