Mavchamp

Week 2 Pickem  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Parkway in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout
    • Parkway in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one

It seems Marshall keeps jumping from the frying pan into the fire week after week.

No shock that it happens again next weekend.

After games against state ranked Kilgore and Longview, the (0-2) Mavs now travel across the state line to face #5 Bossier Parkway in the middle game of a triple header Saturday (5PM Kickoff). Longview's game against Olive Branch, Mississippi will be the night cap.

Parkway opened their season Friday night with a convicing 55-12 win over Calvary Baptist Academy. Parkway was 12-2 last season and has one of the top QB propects in the country in Brandon Harris, who has already committed to LSU.

Harris passed for three scores in rolling up 233 passing yards on 15-of-27 passing. Louisiana Tech-commit Brodrick Jefferson hauled in one of Harris’ scoring tosses from 39 yards out, while Austin Roth had one from 40 yards and McAtee from 29 yards out.

Bossier Parkway was ranked #5 in class 5A last week in Louisiana. Calvary is a 2A school in Shreveport whom some have picked ot be a favorite for a state title.

The Panthers made them look bad. They had a 38-0 lead at halftime.

Marshall is coming off of a 26-14 loss to Longview.

Sounds like the Mavs have their work cut out for them come Saturday.

I hope the defense is ready for this wide open offense. We're about to see it back to back weeks with Whitehouse coming up after Parkway.

Maverick offense is not prepared ot get into a scorefest with anyone yet.

But things are getting better. No doubt.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without seeing Parkway and just hearing about the type of team that they have this is going to be another tough one. I fully expect Marshall to continue to play the slow-it-down offense to keep their offense off the field. I keep hearing about their QB and WR's but nothing about their defense. Maybe we can put up a few more points this week. Our O-Line should be ready having faced Kilgore and Longview now and if Love/Osborne are healthy that would be additional weapons we didnt have against Longview. The key to this one is going to be our D-Line putting pressure on their QB (Harris?) and our DB's keeping their WR's in front and making good tackles to prevent the big play.

Without seeing Parkway and just hearing about the type of team that they have this is going to be another tough one. I fully expect Marshall to continue to play the slow-it-down offense to keep their offense off the field. I keep hearing about their QB and WR's but nothing about their defense. Maybe we can put up a few more points this week. Our O-Line should be ready having faced Kilgore and Longview now and if Love/Osborne are healthy that would be additional weapons we didnt have against Longview. The key to this one is going to be our D-Line putting pressure on their QB (Harris?) and our DB's keeping their WR's in front and making good tackles to prevent the big play.

Well..... Calvary only got 12.

And last week in their Jamboree Parkway only gave up 7 if I recall.

Yup. Going to be another tough game for the Mavs.

Calvary is a John Curtis, Evangel type school. They are not lacking talent anywhere. Their biggest donor/supporter were the Booty's (see Evangel's John David, Abram, Josh). To hold them to 12 is a big accomplishment.

The only thing I really hope to see from this game is continual improvement. Maybe the front 5 and front 7 from Marshall will get stronger, and the lifeless offense with at least put up enough yardage to move the ball, for if nothing else, improved field position.

Dont know anything about Marshall's opponent but what I have heard yall say about their playmakers. I dont know what its gonna take for yall to believe in Marshall and knowing when yall have a good team cause this yr yall do im not just talking BS. I actually think Marshall can win Kilgore and Longview I think has brought their confidence up a lot especially how close they played Longview. JMO Marshall is damn good!!!

Parkway 31

Marshall 35

When you've been where we have for the last 2 seasons....a win over a state ranked team would be HUGE.

I'm having trouble seeing our offense scoring 35 points ATM..... but they are getting better no doubt. I think we had almost 400 yards against Longview.

I'm ready to see what we can do!

Article in today's Shreveport Times:

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/shreveport/articles/item/747-ready-for-battle

Parkway is 20-5 the last two seasons, advanced to the Qtr-finals before losing to eventual state runner up Lake Charles Barbe.

I wasn't aware that Lufkin had signed on to play in the Battle next year. Good deal!

Sounds like the powers that be know how to sell some tickets..... invite Longview, Marshall, and Lufkin.

Next year I hope they have Marshall, Longview, and Lufkin all playing on the same day.

Seems like I recall they had talked to John Tyler too. Dunno what happened with that.

They keep it up and we will have a big old 12-5A reunion party. Just need to get Texas High, Lee, and Nac to the party.

Would be fun to have that Saturday an all East Texas vs the Nation party.

Would love for Longview to sign up again for next season. Does nothing but get the program exposure, and clearly we can bring the fans that they're looking for. As long as we don't play any of those Louisiana teams, I'm good. Have no desire to go back down that path. Bring on Florida, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Kentucky, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. Whomever.

There are only a small handful of Louisiana schools that could hang with Longview.

Curtis, Neville, Ouachita, and maybe Byrd. But all four can bottom out on down years. But by and large they are good annually.

Some of the best non-distrct games Marshall use to ever have was Ouachita. Neville too. Both were always state ranked.... and always gave a close game. And that was back when we were a highly competitive 5A school.

From my expereince though.....outside of Byrd, fan support for the teams (especially on the road) is virtually non-existent.

Ouachita would have great home crowds....but would generally bring less than 100-200 to Marshall. Nevile was better. Byrd travelled well though when they came here.