WEEK 2: Overton at Colmesneil

Mr. P

WEEK 2: Overton at Colmesneil  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

RwBANTE.jpgtQyE0Wz.jpg

Last year Colmesneil struggled through a monsoon in a defensive struggle, with the Mustangs escaping with a 13-2 win. This year the Bulldogs are hosting an Overton squad trying to overcome youthful mistakes and nagging injuries. The Mustangs are on a two-game skid while Colmesneil's riding high at 2-0.

How do these two teams match up? Which team has the advantage? Who do you think is gonna come away with the win?

RwBANTE.jpgtQyE0Wz.jpg

Last year Colmesneil struggled through a monsoon in a defensive struggle, with the Mustangs escaping with a 13-2. This year the Bulldogs are hosting an Overton squad trying to overcome youthful mistakes and nagging injuries. The Mustangs are on a two-game skid while Colmesneil's riding high at 2-0.

How do these two teams match up? Which team has the advantage? Who do you think is gonna come away with the win?

I think you're gonna need a passport if you're headed to Colmesneil. It's a long hike down there. I think Colmesneil is playing better than O-town at this point.

Try to split and watch arp and Overton. Was my first Overton game this year. I will say this they better take yellow brick road to colmsneal and find the wizard that gives out hearts cause they lay down to easy. Just when 32 got hurt they act like game was over. And can't tackle good either. Beckville not real good just played a week team. Beckville don't to excited cause y'all are not that good.

"...they better take yellow brick road to colmsneal and find the wizard that gives out hearts cause they lay down to easy. Just when 32 got hurt they act like game was over. And can't tackle good either..."

3lFHq.gif

Try to split and watch arp and Overton. Was my first Overton game this year. I will say this they better take yellow brick road to colmsneal and find the wizard that gives out hearts cause they lay down to easy. Just when 32 got hurt they act like game was over. And can't tackle good either. Beckville not real good just played a week team. Beckville don't to excited cause y'all are not that good.

Well, I like to think of myself as having a generally positive outlook—and when it comes to high school ball we all know anything can happen—but this year's team is at a crossroads, and it's too far along for a team to still be trying to find its identity.

The main problem, as I see it, is player leadership. Believe it or not, the talent is there. But there's no fire, none of the "git er done" spirit that kept us in games last season and helped us win close ones. Last year we had guys like Jesse Roach, K.J. Luster, Greg Moore and other seniors who were stepping up and setting the tone. I'm not seeing that with this group yet. Last year, at home, our defense brought the lumber and started the game holding Colmesneil to a 3-and-out. That really set the tone. While the Bulldogs fought hard, the Mustangs won the day. I wish I could say that could happen this year, but I just don't see it. I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

Colmesneil wins 33-12. cABljMg.gif

I have seem Colmesneil, and they have a long long way to get to mediocre......

Really? Film I've seen looks like they've got potential this year. How do you account for their 2-0 record, with wins over Lovelady and Burkeville? I'm not talking smack, I'm sincerely curious. If they're sub-mediocre, what's that say for the teams they've beaten? I mean, I think they blew out Burkeville 60 to 6, or something.

Well, I like to think of myself as having a generally positive outlook—and when it comes to high school ball we all know anything can happen—but this year's team is at a crossroads, and it's too far along for a team to still be trying to find its identity.

The main problem, as I see it, is player leadership. Believe it or not, the talent is there. But there's no fire, none of the "git er done" spirit that kept us in games last season and helped us win close ones. Last year we had guys like Jesse Roach, K.J. Luster, Greg Moore and other seniors who were stepping up and setting the tone. I'm not seeing that with this group yet. Last year, at home, our defense brought the lumber and started the game holding Colmesneil to a 3-and-out. That really set the tone. While the Bulldogs fought hard, the Mustangs won the day. I wish I could say that could happen this year, but I just don't see it. I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

I have to agree with Matthias...anytime you lose a key player it can be a moral buster...but that's when someone has to take the reins and spur on their teammates...saw one senior on the sideline attemtping to get his teamamtes up...but they just couldn't get it going...the team has some under experienced linemen...they have got to get better each week or it will be a long season...I didn't see any passion on defense...but am hopeful they will play better this week...there is good talent all around, need some fire...think the long road trip will take it's toll and Overton comes out on the short end of the score...(God I hope I am wrong)...

Have to agree with Matthias, seemed no one will step up and be the soul and spirit of the team...yes, when you lose a key player to an injury it can be a morale buster...but it shouldn't last the whole game...that's when someone needs to step up, slap some helmets, pump the fists, and spur the others on...I know I am old school, but I don't think they have outlawed running over the opponet or runnng through them...it's a game of collisions, the Mustangs need to cause a bunch...think the long road trip will take a toll and the Mustangs end up on the shor end of the score (Oh gosh I hope they prove me wrong)...

Colmesneil was mediocre. Beckville was less than mediocre. Talent or not...where does that put the Mustangs? Its time to step up or step aside.

^^^ This, bigtime... I hate to dog another team (especially after they've beaten us) but Winona is the only opponent so far that I felt was a superior team. Colmesneil and Beckville both were slower and smaller, overall. They just whipped us. It's frustrating... offense failing to punch it in inside the red zone, giving up huge plays on special teams, defense overpursuing and/or running right past the ballcarrier. Linemen standing up and trying to play pattycake, allowing the rush to hit the ballcarriers in the backfield. I miss anything MustangMania?

At first I thought we could manage 6-4, with a couple close losses here and there. Shoot, at this point I'm hoping we can beat Union Hill. I'm not giving up on the guys, and I still believe they can turn it around, but it's looking pretty dang grim at this point. Jmwdy9J.gif

^^^ This, bigtime... I hate to dog another team (especially after they've beaten us) but Winona is the only opponent so far that I felt was a superior team. Colmesneil and Beckville both were slower and smaller, overall. They just whipped us. It's frustrating... offense failing to punch it in inside the red zone, giving up huge plays on special teams, defense overpursuing and/or running right past the ballcarrier. Linemen standing up and trying to play pattycake, allowing the rush to hit the ballcarriers in the backfield. I miss anything MustangMania?

At first I thought we could manage 6-4, with a couple close losses here and there. Shoot, at this point I'm hoping we can beat Union Hill. I'm not giving up on the guys, and I still believe they can turn it around, but it's looking pretty dang grim at this point. Jmwdy9J.gif

15+ turnovers already???