Gilmer @ The Hill

Stankylegg

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which team wins?

• Chapel Hill
    • Gilmer

I think this will be the best team Gilmer has faced so far this year. At the beginning of the season, I though Kilgore, Chapel Hill, and Gilmer were the playoff locks, with Henderson probably taking the other spot. Well, Kilgore, Chapel Hill, and Gilmer all have started out 1-0. So it looks like these are the 3 teams to beat in this district.

Gilmer played better against Gladewater, and they seemed to regain some of their focus. But Chapel Hill will be a tough match. Gilmer still has to work on the turnover issues. If they clear that up, I betting they can get the W.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to go to this game, i think it will be epic

Come take a look since Carthage is off. You can see what the talk is all about..., maybe.

This could be a very good game. Chapel Hill will not be a pushover, and the Buckeyes better be focused and ready to play. I think the Buckeyes will be ready. The Black Flag DEFENSE will be ready, and the offense will be clicking on all eight, instead of six or seven like they have at times this season.

It can't be stated enough how much an impact of Chapel Hill losing Joseph Clark will be. I think with him, they would of played with Gilmer. Without him, I see it being a Gilmer +21 win. Will see.

It's tough losing him, but he wasn't the bread and butter difference for the team. Don't get me wrong he is a playmaker, but CH has four other guys fully capable of running the ball well. I would argue that Wesley Thompson is actually a better overall running back than Clark. On defense brag has actually made more tackles than Clark the past few weeks. Thompson is an absolute stud at LB and Nelson stepped in and had an excellent game last week. Yes Clark will be missed, but injuries are part of the game, and CH won't be using his absence as an excuse.

CH can win. Gilmer is beatable. They are hard to beat, but they are beatable.

This is true. Everybody is beatable. It doesn't matter how good a team you are, if you don't go out there and execute you can lose. Last year it took some last minute heroics to beat Chapel Hill. I would like to see the Buckeyes get off to a good start this year.

This is true. Everybody is beatable. It doesn't matter how good a team you are, if you don't go out there and execute you can lose. Last year it took some last minute heroics to beat Chapel Hill. I would like to see the Buckeyes get off to a good start this year.

A couple years ago CH was coming off a State championship loss and went 15-0 and won a state championship, which is a realistic goal for the buckeyes. Several of those games during the regular season were very close games. Partially due to key injuries. In the playoffs they had a couple comeback victories. It made for a fun season, but when you are as good as they were that year or the buckeyes are this year you have a huge target in your back. For the most part you get each team's best effort that you face.

This game won't be close. CH does not have the horses to hang. It is what it is.

You may be right, but CH will sure try their hardest. I'll be pulling for them, because it's what I have done for over 20 years and I truly believe this team is fully capable of beating Gilmer. Will it take CH winng the turnover battle, little to no penalties, and a couple "lucky" plays? Sure, but it is possible. I know the odds are not in CH's favor, and chances are CH will be 1-1 on Saturday morning, but upsets happen and it starts with believing it is possible.

Nothing against Chapel Hill, but if this Gilmer team executes up front like they did against Gladewater offensively and is at full strength defensively, they will have their way with ANYBODY they will face this season. I know CH is talented...and I know looming out there are some other teams that are "Especially" talented. But Gilmer took some major steps towards improving a glaring weakness last week with the O-Line against a "Premier Talent". If that improvement trend continues with the O-Line and they clean up the turnovers this week, they may hang 70+ against CH. And with Gilmer's Defense at full strength, I'm not sure CH's offense can score 30 points, even with a +3 Turnovers, a pick 6 and a couple of special teams plays, CH will have to score 45 points to beat Gilmer. And I just don't see that happening. I'm not even sure anybody in 3A can do that to the Buckeyes.

This game even being close relies on Gilmer not "Showing Up" sharp, focused or ready to play. And as the weeks go by, I'm seeing Gilmer addressing their weaknesses and getting better and better each week. Last week, the O-Line came a MILLION miles and completely nullified Daylon Mack, who is supposed to be a Top 10 Player Nationally. O-yeah, and 3 MAJOR players for Gilmer got "Eased" back into the action last week, but will be at full strength this week. Add all that together with the fact that CH has lost some key players and I see something UGLY coming at the Bulldogs on Friday Night.

Not being a HOMER at all here, but I think this score will be uglier than Prestonwood and Gladewater:

Gilmer 63 Chapel Hill 20

Not sure there is much CH can do about it...even if they play their best, it will take a self-inflicted "Buckeye Melt-Down" for this one to be close.

Nothing against Chapel Hill, but if this Gilmer team executes up front like they did against Gladewater offensively and is at full strength defensively, they will have their way with ANYBODY they will face this season. I know CH is talented...and I know looming out there are some other teams that are "Especially" talented. But Gilmer took some major steps towards improving a glaring weakness last week with the O-Line against a "Premier Talent". If that improvement trend continues with the O-Line and they clean up the turnovers this week, they may hang 70+ against CH. And with Gilmer's Defense at full strength, I'm not sure CH's offense can score 30 points, even with a +3 Turnovers, a pick 6 and a couple of special teams plays, CH will have to score 45 points to beat Gilmer. And I just don't see that happening. I'm not even sure anybody in 3A can do that to the Buckeyes.

This game even being close relies on Gilmer not "Showing Up" sharp, focused or ready to play. And as the weeks go by, I'm seeing Gilmer addressing their weaknesses and getting better and better each week. Last week, the O-Line came a MILLION miles and completely nullified Daylon Mack, who is supposed to be a Top 10 Player Nationally. O-yeah, and 3 MAJOR players for Gilmer got "Eased" back into the action last week, but will be at full strength this week. Add all that together with the fact that CH has lost some key players and I see something UGLY coming at the Bulldogs on Friday Night.

Not being a HOMER at all here, but I think this score will be uglier than Prestonwood and Gladewater:

Gilmer 63 Chapel Hill 20

Not sure there is much CH can do about it...even if they play their best, it will take a self-inflicted "Buckeye Melt-Down" for this one to be close.

Speaking of key players being out. What is the status on D. Mumphrey?

Last year, Chapel Hill had a melt down in the 4th quarter of a very close, hard fought game. It was one of those "everything that could go wrong did". I don't expect them to self destruct like that this year. Which means the game could be close.

Gilmer has an extra week to get some key players healthier. Smith, Johnson, and Walker made key contributions last week. But you could tell they weren't 100%. Hopefully, the extra week will move them that much closer to 100%. Getting Smith and Johnson back in the secondary is probably just as big as getting Walker back at OLB.

I'd like to see Gilmer come into the game in 2013 Peyton Manning mode. If they play with that kind of focus and intensity, I think they will win.

A couple years ago CH was coming off a State championship loss and went 15-0 and won a state championship, which is a realistic goal for the buckeyes. Several of those games during the regular season were very close games. Partially due to key injuries. In the playoffs they had a couple comeback victories. It made for a fun season, but when you are as good as they were that year or the buckeyes are this year you have a huge target in your back. For the most part you get each team's best effort that you face.

Love this post. Chapel Hill in 2011 clearly wanted the mantle of being #1 from the beginning of the season. They knew that put a target on their backs, but they wanted to be the team to go win it all from the pole position. There is a certain type of mentality needed to do that. I hope Gilmer has that mentality. Knowing that you have a target on your back every week, but wanting to go out and prove you deserve the target.

Love this post. Chapel Hill in 2011 clearly wanted the mantle of being #1 from the beginning of the season. They knew that put a target on their backs, but they wanted to be the team to go win it all from the pole position. There is a certain type of mentality needed to do that. I hope Gilmer has that mentality. Knowing that you have a target on your back every week, but wanting to go out and prove you deserve the target.

It's really nothing new for Gilmer to have a target on their back. Gilmer has been one of the top teams in 3A year in and year out. I'll guarantee we'll see the best effort from every team we play, and if we don't play Buckeye football we know there are teams out there that are capable of beating us. Chapel Hill is one of those teams, if we don't play the way we're capable.

It's really nothing new for Gilmer to have a target on their back. Gilmer has been one of the top teams in 3A year in and year out. I'll guarantee we'll see the best effort from every team we play, and if we don't play Buckeye football we know there are teams out there that are capable of beating us. Chapel Hill is one of those teams, if we don't play the way we're capable.

I agree gilmer has a target every season because they are gilmer. As much as I want the bulldogs to win I still feel gilmer is chapel hill 2011 made over. A team destined for a ring this year and I don't see anyone stopping that .