62 members have voted

1. 1. Which team wins?

• Chapel Hill
    • Gilmer

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The officials were way to involved in this game, bad calls on both sides, and I'll probably just have to say, probably one of the worst officiated games, ive ever seen!

Nope...2nd worst...worst I saw was a game between the guards & inmates @ Angola Prison in 1972.

me an some of the Longview cru went to dis game, bad refs and Gilmer got da worst of it, we stood on da enzone fence, gilmer gets a safety, and da call it a touchback, his kne aint touched, I thought all da gilmer folks fitten to come out dem stands, Hill did all da could, da was not goin to let gilmer beat dem wit da pass, so gilmer beat dem with there running game, dis should hav been bout a 70 to 14 game, dem refs waasnt going to hav it tho. my opinion no body beat s gilmer.

Know the rules before you post. If the runner never leaves the endzone its a touchback. If he leaves the endzone and then retreats back to it, then its a safety. Traylor would have been your best indicator of this being a bad call. If it should have been a safety he would have been in the endzone. Out of all of his protests, he did not protest this one.

Gilmer is the best team in East Texas. I know all of the big school guys will jump on this quote. This is strictly my opinion. But I would love to see the "big boys" play Gilmer. I had a friend tell me this team is better than the 2009 team. I did not see that team, so I have no opinion on that one. Gilmer will go undefeated for a state championship, unless the injury bug hits them, (hopefully this doesn't happen) or the coaching staff catches some sickness and has to be quarantined for the next 3 months.

Good luck Gilmer the rest of the way, stay healthy and bring back the hardware.

Know the rules before you post. If the runner never leaves the endzone its a touchback. If he leaves the endzone and then retreats back to it, then its a safety. Traylor would have been your best indicator of this being a bad call. If it should have been a safety he would have been in the endzone. Out of all of his protests, he did not protest this one.

Gilmer is the best team in East Texas. I know all of the big school guys will jump on this quote. This is strictly my opinion. But I would love to see the "big boys" play Gilmer. I had a friend tell me this team is better than the 2009 team. I did not see that team, so I have no opinion on that one. Gilmer will go undefeated for a state championship, unless the injury bug hits them, (hopefully this doesn't happen) or the coaching staff catches some sickness and has to be quarantined for the next 3 months.

I think Traylor was arguing the fact he did break the plain with the ball, it was hard to tell, from where I was sitting, but your explanation is correct! This team is probably more talented, in the running game, and at the receiver positions, not taking anything away from Tanner, but Stump, was a better pure passer, and a huge threat with his feet, this team is still making mistakes, and still getting the win, if they can keep everyone healthey, and continue to improve, they will be tough to beat for anyone,,, I believe I saw a post on the 3A downlow forum where, someone says this years Argyle team will mop the floor with Gilmer! lol...Bold Statement!

The player mishandled the ball before the ball went into the endzone. He then picked up the ball in the endzone and never made it out of the endzone before he was gang tackled.

I just watched the play that I thought should've been a safety. I actually think the refs got that one right if I know the rules right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the player muffed the kickoff, touching the ball before it went into the endzone. He picked it up and tried to run it out, but never touched the plane of the goalline. A muffed kick doesn't have to be returned, therefore it is a touchback. Now, "old school" rules, that would've definitely been a safety because he did try to run it out.

The center was simulating a snap on all three by flinching and moving the ball. I won't swear to it, but I think that's what he was doing. The officiating was just plain horrible in this one, with no real favoritism. They just never had control over this game, and absolutely missed a bunch of calls, not to mention other blunders.

The center was addressing the ball and instead of standing it on end and snapping it, he was lifting the ball up off the ground, extending his arm forward into a straight position and then setting the ball on it's end, which was advancing the ball forward in front of the original spot. He did it the whole first half.

I know it's easy to think the Gilmer Buckeyes will go undefeated if they stay healthy.....they may well do it. There are a few games on the horizon that have yet to be played, though. And a couple of those teams MIGHT have the same kind of season going on and a different kind of talent to counter what Gilmer does well. No team is perfect and has all the bases covered, for every opponent for every game of the season. The Argyle Eagles will welcome the opportunity to meet the Gilmer Buckeyes on the Gridiron of Glory yet another time this season to match our boys against theirs. If that happens, then both teams would have done their due diligence leading up to the game....and hopefully both teams would be healthy. It ain't over til it's over....says Yogi.

Well,,, This game turned about just about how I figured it would. But,,, I did "NOT" anticipate the Buckeyes, would be as sloppy on defense as they were. Nor did I think CH would be able to run the ball as well as they did against Gilmer. The two plays CH had going for them, that the Bucks really struggled to stop, was the end sweep by that big running back, and the QB's scrambling ability up the middle. Not taking anything away from both of those kids ability to do that, and CH's blocking on the sweeps, because they did a good job. But on the sweeps,,, all season, the Bucks have been swarming to the ball in groups of three, four or even five tacklers. They did not do that against CH. I credit much of their success on the sweeps, to the blocking of CH's Wide receivers, they did a great job of blocking all night. As for Andrew Black scrambling and making plays there,,, I remember him from his Sophomore year at Jacksonville, and he did the same thing to us there. That kid may not have the passing ability and accuracy of Tanner Barr,, but he has some really "good" wheels. He made several of our tacklers just grasp air with some of the moves he made. And he broke several tackles, which to me showed he had a lot of strength in his legs as well. Many times I noticed, that when it looked like he would get taken down,, he leaned forward, and dived straight ahead, and it looked like he flew through the air for another three or four yards. And I didn't mean he wasn't accurate passing,, he "did" make several good spot on passes during the game. But Gilmer did an unusual amount of bad tackling during the game. This is the second game they have done that this year. And I can't imagine why there would be a lack of intensity and focus Friday night. This was an important game,, and "not" doing things like gang tackling, or having a clean shot at someone and missing, (which we've been good at most of the year) or failing to get a man down when you have the opportunity to get a good hold of him, just seems like a lack of intensity. That's something we need to get fixed, and bring to every single game. I'm sure they will work more on that,,, cause it seemed we kinda let up in intensity once we scored the 29 points in the last 8 minutes of the 2nd quarter.

Speaking of leg strength,,, I don't know if anybody else noticed,, but man,,, I looked at their team during warm ups,, and besides being quite a bit bigger than the Buckeyes,, what struck me the most was the size of most of their kids legs. Those guys looked like they had legs like a utility pole, or tree trunks. They "obviously" do a "LOT" of leg work on weights. And it showed through out the game.

The thing I'm most proud of about Gilmer's kids,, is if the score gets tighter,, they do tend to up their game,, and so far have managed to get more in sync, and bully up a little and pull away. But we've taken a little too long to get things on track in two or three games this year. Not sure why that is,, but it's just something else that needs to be addressed. Like a couple of others have mentioned,,, we've not hit on all cylinders for a whole game yet. We go in spurts,, kinda like that last 8 minutes of the second quarter last Friday. I would dearly love to see us just go out,,, and fire on all cylinders against Henderson,,, get a lead that would appear to be uncatchable,, and let Jaidon play some QB,, let Kelton Collier, our freshman RB, (who I think is going to be something special) get some carries, and work in some of the back up WR's get some reps for a couple of quarters. That would only make us better down the road, should someone not be able to play.

Josh Walker was unable to finish the play when he had a very clean shot at a sack on several occasions the other night. Those are plays he normally makes easily, he's such a beast. My guess is, that his legs just aren't back in shape yet. I'm just tickled to death, that he's back, and a huge part of our defense. It was great to see Ardarious and Nick Smith back out there doing what we do as well. All those guys are a huge part of our defense, which will just get better each week.

As for the things we did right,,, I have to say that what I've already said wasn't meant to sound like we "played awful" or anything. Our offense looked great,,, practically unstoppable from midway through the 2nd quarter on. We were making good yardage "early" in the game,, but kept shooting ourselves in the foot, with bad judgement, and penalties, as well as CH making some good plays when we started going backwards. But we just weren't scoring. When we got things going in the right direction,, we were overpowering. Kris made several great runs,, and what Darren Lewis did in the 4th quarter, just proved to me that he needs to be in the backfield on a much more regular basis. That kid is a born power running back, with really good speed. He's not a huge kid,, but he's certainly big enough,, and he runs like he's 20 or 25 pounds bigger than he is. It's been almost impossible for one guy to bring him down, sometimes two can't do it. I've been extremely impressed with him,, and he reminds me of the good running Terrance Lovely did for us after moving to Gilmer from Ore City in his senior year. He played such a key part in our making the State Championship game that year. Now, he just needs to realize his own potential,,, and work at getting better each and every week. He has a huge upside. Every facet of the game Friday night looked good most of the time,, but had some breakdowns at times too. I actually can't state enough, that most of those things were caused by a really good Chapel Hill team. They were definitely the best team we've played in my opinion. But I feel our special teams,, especially our Kick Off, and punting coverage was the best I've seen it all year. And a "HUGE" reason for that was the kicking of Pablin Olivares. He did a phenomenal job on Kick Offs, PAT's, and the Field Goal. Best performance of the year.

To the Chapel Hill team and fans,, You guys should "waltz" into the playoffs. I Honestly think you have a shot at beating Kilgore. That will depend on the team performance. I know Kilgore is going to be huge to you guys,, and Huge to us as well. Nobody is going to roll over those guys. But they aren't unbeatable for either of our teams. I think you guys have the athletes to match up with anybody. You certainly gave the Bucks fits,, and you never let up or quit. Those are things you guys can build on for sure. Good luck the rest of the way,, and it was very good to hear that the young man who got hurt the other night is out of the hospital, and doing well. I'm sure that is a huge relief to all of you.

I believe Darren Godfrey quarterback on the 2009 team makes that team the better of the two. That is my opinion.

I believe Darren Godfrey quarterback on the 2009 team makes that team the better of the two. That is my opinion.

Darian "Stump" Godfrey was definitely a difference maker, and a big game leader. The team this year is more talented, in my opinion, than the team that Stump had around him. The biggest difference between the '09 team and this year's team is CONSISTENCY. I think if this team develops consistency, and cuts out the mistakes, they have the ability to be even better than that team. Will it happen? We'll see. We have soooo much room for improvement, it's scary what this group of young men could do if they get their heads right.