MavGrad's Week 8 Preview, thoughts, and typically bad predictions

Coach Rab

REGIONAL

(16) Texas Tech (6-0) @ West Virginia (3-3)

When reading up on both teams I went both ways. I think Texas Tech is a decent team with a good scheme, but lacking some key talent. I think West Virginia is an average team with upset potential. But then again, they were shut out by Maryland... I will take Texas Tech in a close one on the road.

TCU (3-3) @ (21) Oklahoma St (4-1)

I have not been impressed with either team. If TCU were at home, I might would consider taking them. But Okie St at home, should be good enough to win this one.

(24) Auburn (5-1) @ (7) Texas A&M (5-1)

No idea why someone would rank an unproven Auburn team. They are going to get the windows blown off of that house. A&M by 30+.

(18) Oklahoma (5-1) @ Kansas (2-3)

After an upsetting loss last week, I look for OU to rebound. I would guess Stoops gives Bell another chance. If you can't shine against Kansas then gtho of Norman, Oklahoma. OU by 17.

(6) LSU (6-1) @ Ole Miss (3-3)

This could be a sneaky game for LSU. Ole Miss is too young and too hurt to compete in this one (in theory), however, they are at home and young talent is unpredictable talent. LSU in a nail-biter.

Iowa St (1-4) @ (12) Baylor (5-0)

Iowa State has been competitive in their last few outings. I don't really expect that to continue. Baylor is too fast and the pace will eventually leave Iowa State in the dust. Baylor wins 50-24.

--------------------------------------------

NATIONAL

(22) Florida (4-2) @ (14) Missouri (6-0)

Missouri lost their main threat last week, but Florida's offense is so pitiful that I don't think that they can win this one. Missouri's jump from pathetic last season to legitimate this season baffles me. Missouri 17-10.

(9) UCLA (5-0) @ (13) Stanford (5-1)

UCLA has surprised me a couple of times this season. I dont really see them doing it on the road, after a Stanford loss. Stanford comes out to rebound and wins this one 38-30.

(20) Washington (4-2) @ Arizona St (4-2)

I think the Huskies are good enough to win this one on the road.

(5) Florida St (5-0) @ (3) Clemson (6-0)

Clearly, 2 of the better teams in the country this season. Clemson has the star senior QB who already has a signature win over a healthy Georgia, while Florida State's biggest wins are then #25 Maryland and a Boston College team that gave Clemson fits. I think the Freshman QB at FSU is not ready for this one. Clemson wins.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two games I've gotta disagree with you on this week Mavgrad...

1) Missouri is not beating Florida. Even with Florida's offense struggling, they will still beat a Mizz team without Franklin.

2) I'll take FSU over Clemson...and here's why,

First, I think FSU's defense is better. Second, yes we can all talk about the difference in the two schedules. However, Georgia hasn't really shown to be that great against anyone now have they? And let's not forget what FSU did last week to Maryland. Yes, it was Maryland, but it was a Maryland team ranked in the top 25 in the country and FSU completely dominated them 63-0! Let me say again, they beat a RANKED team 63-0!!!

Two games I've gotta disagree with you on this week Mavgrad...

1) Missouri is not beating Florida. Even with Florida's offense struggling, they will still beat a Mizz team without Franklin.

2) I'll take FSU over Clemson...and here's why,

First, I think FSU's defense is better. Second, yes we can all talk about the difference in the two schedules. However, Georgia hasn't really shown to be that great against anyone now have they? And let's not forget what FSU did last week to Maryland. Yes, it was Maryland, but it was a Maryland team ranked in the top 25 in the country and FSU completely dominated them 63-0! Let me say again, they beat a RANKED team 63-0!!!

I mentioned the CLemson/UGA game mainly because UGA has been beat to hell since they played LSU. It is not the same team as they were against Clemson and USC, so Clemson got them when they should have been at their best. Mizzou got the broken hospitalized UGA team that they are now. Now I do agree with you on the FSU defense. They are good, and if the QB does well on this really loud road trip, I think FSU will win.

And Maryland was in the same situation as Auburn this week. They had no business being ranked :)

I mentioned the CLemson/UGA game mainly because UGA has been beat to hell since they played LSU. 1)It is not the same team as they were against Clemson and USC, so Clemson got them when they should have been at their best. Mizzou got the broken hospitalized UGA team that they are now. Now I do agree with you on the FSU defense. They are good, and if the QB does well on this really loud road trip, I think FSU will win.

And Maryland was in the same situation as Auburn this week. 2)They had no business being ranked :)

1) That would be an easier statement to agree with if North Texas wasn't the only team all season to NOT score 30+ on Georgia, lol. Point is, in my opinion, Georgia is exactly the same team they have been all year.....at least defensively anyway. And that's lousy.

2) While we may both agree with that, an undefeated record tends to draw the attention of the pollsters. Yes, they had only beaten some really weak teams. But if we dismiss them for that reason, then shouldn't we also say that Baylor shouldn't be ranked as well? We could also say that Northern Illinois doesn't belong to be ranked too. But the fact does still remain, the FSU loss is the only loss Maryland has suffered, and FSU did still beat a ranked team 63-0.

@BPrzybylo: Jordan Phillips to have season-ending back surgery Tuesday #Sooners

There goes Oklahoma's best defensive lineman along with the best linebacker for the rest of the season.

Oklahoma has terrible injury luck.

Corey Nelson and Jordan Philips, the only talent outside Colvin we knew we could count on going into the season. This will be fun :) Alamo Bowl bound, if that.

I wouldn't say Missouri is lost without Franklin. That backup QB played well. Might be more competitive.

Mav, where does Tech lack talent?

Top to bottom, they do not match up with Texas, OU, OSU, or Baylor (offense only). Has Tech played any of these teams yet? :D The next 3 weeks will be a good measure of where Texas Tech is at in regards to talent this season.

And the key positions I think they will be missing against those teams are as follows:

OG, OT, DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, RB

Top to bottom, they do not match up with Texas, OU, OSU, or Baylor (offense only). Has Tech played any of these teams yet? :D The next 3 weeks will be a good measure of where Texas Tech is at in regards to talent this season.

And the key positions I think they will be missing against those teams are as follows:

OG, OT, DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, RB

Mav, Kerry Hyder our nose guard is a player up for Big 12 Defensive Player of the year. A large reason for our current play has been the defensive line play and our secondary has a lot of strong leadership.

I personally feel we match up well with all those teams however, I save that for another day. We have to go on the road to a very hostile environment in Morgantown on Saturday.

Mav, Kerry Hyder our nose guard is a player up for Big 12 Defensive Player of the year. A large reason for our current play has been the defensive line play and our secondary has a lot of strong leadership.

I personally feel we match up well with all those teams however, I save that for another day. We have to go on the road to a very hostile environment in Morgantown on Saturday.

I am man enough to eat my words, but I wont do so until after the next 3 games. This 6-0 start, Tech has looked great, well coached, disciplined... but most of that was non-conference mediocre match-ups and TCU may not be as good as we all hyped them up to be this season... So I am holding out real judgement on them until after this tough 3 game stretch.

The Rebels will come out fighting! A lack of will, well..will never exist on either sideline when LSU and Ole MS play no matter what the records are for either team! Look for Ole MS top win in a shocker by 7 to 10 points!

Fl St. over Clemson

Fl over Mizzoo

Washington over Az St

UCLA to upset Stanford, a big maybe especially with Stanford being mad as heck for this game. If I were betting, I would say Stanford but for fun, UCLA!

TX A&M in a close one, only if they can find some defense. If Auburn just lines up and runs at them the whole game I do not know if A&M can stop them. However, they may still out score them!

Oklahoma !

Okie St in what may be a very interesting game. I was really tempted to take TCU in a slight upset!

TX Tech, defense looks good and offense will score!

Baylor, well they are playing Iowa St, what else needs to be said!

The Rebels will come out fighting! A lack of will, well..will never exist on either sideline when LSU and Ole MS play no matter what the records are for either team! Look for Ole MS top win in a shocker by 7 to 10 points!

Fl St. over Clemson

Fl over Mizzoo, Washington over Az St,

UCLA to upset Stanford, big maybe with Stanford being mad as heck for this game. If I were betting I would say Stanford but for fun UCLA!

TX A&M in a close one, only if they can find some defense. If Auburn just lines up and runs at them the whole game I do not know if A&M can stop them. However, they may still out score them!

Oklahoma !

Okie St in what may be a very interesting game. I was really tempted to take TCU in a slight upset!

TX Tech, defense looks good!

Baylor, well they are playing Iowa St, what else needs to be said!

We will have to come back to these predictions Saturday... most of them on paper and judgement seem way off target lol.

Serious question. How close is Oklahoma to a Texas-esque fall from Grace? For the first time in a while OU has a bad qb situation. That's what got the ball rolling downhill for Texas. Any thoughts?

The QB situation at OU isn't that bad. It isn't nowhere near the passing precision they need to run the offense they run right now though.

This game will not be close. A&M by 20+

That is a big possibility, so you may be right! If auburn can keep the ball with long drives (they can run on this team if they have patience) and then finish them with TD's, they should be able to keep the game close. If not, A&M can run away with it! Aubur's defense will have to make some stops too!

The QB situation at OU isn't that bad. It isn't nowhere near the passing precision they need to run the offense they run right now though.

That's the thing. The offense was supposed to be different this season. It was different when Knight was the starter, but they quit being different after Bell took over.

That's the thing. The offense was supposed to be different this season. It was different when Knight was the starter, but they quit being different after Bell took over.

A QB "runner" like Bell, should be able to pick up the read option play dont you think? Or do you think the coaches just didnt try?

A QB "runner" like Bell, should be able to pick up the read option play dont you think? Or do you think the coaches just didnt try?

I guess the coaches don't feel Bell is quick enough to be able to run it?

All I know is that the two games that Knight was the starter OU ran the read option like crazy, and then suddenly when Bell started against Tulsa they just don't really run it anymore.