Officiating -- Whats Your Opinion?

LBX3

I will offer my opinion, just briefly. This season in our chapter we have had more first-year officials on the field on Friday nights than we have ever had in the four years I've been officiating. Numbers are down in every officiating chapter. We need more people to step up and come officiate. There's the old adage that if you think you can do better.... Well, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you'd like to see the level of officiating improve we need more numbers. It's great exercise, you'll learn alot about the game that you only thought you knew (I have a different appreciation for the game in the last four years), and you'll make a little money (emphasis on LITTLE). So, come on out and put your penalty flag where your mouth is. Please...we need more officials.

Agree, whole-heartedly. If you think you can do a better job, become one yourself. Until affordable technology is available to eliminate human subjective opinions from the process, game officials are an essential and under-appreciated element of sports. But to suggest that certain schools have "their own" set of officials whom they influence to make wrong calls is ludicrous. Perhaps there is some familiarity at the sub-varsity level and with some sports (due to cost constraints), but to say that it happens in varsity football is to show ignorance in the selection process:

Section 1204:
OFFICIALS
(a)
AGREEMENT. All officials must be satisfactory to both parties and agreed upon in advance. However, beginning a game with an official constitutes agreement.
With all the focus on concussions and what constitutes targeting in football today, I'd hate to have the responsibility of policing a violent and fast-paced sport like football. Kudos to those who try.
In a side note, I've noticed more helmets coming off during plays than ever before. Is that an issue with current manufacturing process or am I just noticing it because of the new rule that forces a player to the sidelines whenever it happens?

In a side note, I've noticed more helmets coming off during plays than ever before. Is that an issue with current manufacturing process or am I just noticing it because of the new rule that forces a player to the sidelines whenever it happens?

I haven't seen that at the games I've been at.

For those who wish to see the UIL take over the sports officials, they are precluded by HB1775 passed this summer. The pertinent text is as follows:

(g) The league may not sponsor or organize or attempt to

sponsor or organize any association of sports officials in which

the majority of the membership is composed of sports officials who

officiate team sports.

The UIL has some disciplinary powers.

I believe the issue with spotty officiating is greater in the smaller schools. The reason - the bigger classifications draw larger gates and thus the games pay more to the officials. Naturally, the better officials are attracted to the better gates. If I were to re-write the UIL rules I would have the gates paid to the chapter and have the chapter pay the officials as based on their grade. The chapter assignor would assign the officials by how the games are rated across classification. For example a 4A game between a #1 & #6 ranked team in a district may be ranked as a "C" game and be assigned to a official team with a "C" grade. A #2 & #3 game in a 2A classification may be classified as an "A" game. A game between a #4 & #5 playing the last week of the season may be an "A" game.

Of coarse for this to work you would have to have timely feedback from the coaches.

I will offer my opinion, just briefly. This season in our chapter we have had more first-year officials on the field on Friday nights than we have ever had in the four years I've been officiating. Numbers are down in every officiating chapter. We need more people to step up and come officiate. There's the old adage that if you think you can do better.... Well, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you'd like to see the level of officiating improve we need more numbers. It's great exercise, you'll learn alot about the game that you only thought you knew (I have a different appreciation for the game in the last four years), and you'll make a little money (emphasis on LITTLE). So, come on out and put your penalty flag where your mouth is. Please...we need more officials.

Working 3 hours and making in excess of $100 most times, that's not a little. Refs should be graded and held accountable for $30/hr pay...

They are held accountable. If every coach "strikes" them, they cannot officiate.

But that only works if you have someone to fill their slot. Again as dago29 indicated it is a number game. Some of these guys make more than $30/hr in their day jobs and take time off to travel to the games. In many cases, their time may be better spent with other endeavors. In the sport I call, most do it for the love of the game, not the money.

They are held accountable. If every coach "strikes" them, they cannot officiate.

But that only works if you have someone to fill their slot. Again as dago29 indicated it is a number game. Some of these guys make more than $30/hr in their day jobs and take time off to travel to the games. In many cases, their time may be better spent with other endeavors. In the sport I call, most do it for the love of the game, not the money.

If I were compensated for my hobby and gas for my hobby like they are, I wouldn't complain. And I'm also good at my hobby unlike some officials. So if it is hobby-like feelings and emotions these guys are after, turn a football game on over the weekends and learn a thing or 2.

So many issues where do I start.. Yes I am a homer for the officials they need a few homers its a tough job and very few have the guts to do it.

I don't know what crews you are referring to or if any of your examples are correct and the calls were missed in your game. I see that some of the comments on this thread show some knowledge of football and the rules. But I only see part of the plays used as an example. Holding by an offensive lineman is usually (but not always) called at the line of scrimmage. The pictures doesn't show all the time that elapsed from the snap until the ball was outside. That's probably at least 1/2 of the time the ball was live. Holding doesn't have to last a long time it could be just a grab and pull then let go. It could last only for a second but if it breaks the play or prevents a man from getting there in time to make the play then its holding. It might be they got the number wrong. But I would say If holding was called there was a hold by someone somewhere that made a flag come out.

1st and 10 after a 5 yard penalty? Yes it possible. If because of an offside penalty on the defense it was a first and 5 then a 5 yard penalty on offense it would be 1st and 10.

The quality in officiating is directly and absolutely affected by the number of officials doing it. The number of experienced and qualified officials is going down due to officials getting out of the business for one reason or another. The number of people willing and with the guts to start doing it continues to be less and less every year. Its math, if the number of officials quitting is more than then the number joining and getting experience then the quality on the field is going to be less than you would like. If we have 25 games that need officiated and only 20 experienced crews that means 5 crews will be on the field getting on the job training. Will there be mistakes? YES. Will they be a little slower in making decisions ? YES. Will they miss something? YES. Will they do anything TO AFFECT THE OUTCOME? NO!!!!!! Why would you think your game was such a big deal an official would cheat which is what that comment suggests. That's an insult to all the men that put on the stripes to do a thankless job. They are doing the best they can and are learning . They are doing a job sometimes for the first time and doing it with 5 men in a game that takes college and pros 7 to do.

The views and observations posted on this thread shows that some of you have a good eye for football. Let the game of football benefit from that and join a local chapter.

So many issues where do I start.. Yes I am a homer for the officials they need a few homers its a tough job and very few have the guts to do it.

I don't know what crews you are referring to or if any of your examples are correct and the calls were missed in your game. I see that some of the comments on this thread show some knowledge of football and the rules. But I only see part of the plays used as an example. Holding by an offensive lineman is usually (but not always) called at the line of scrimmage. The pictures doesn't show all the time that elapsed from the snap until the ball was outside. That's probably at least 1/2 of the time the ball was live. Holding doesn't have to last a long time it could be just a grab and pull then let go. It could last only for a second but if it breaks the play or prevents a man from getting there in time to make the play then its holding. It might be they got the number wrong. But I would say If holding was called there was a hold by someone somewhere that made a flag come out.

1st and 10 after a 5 yard penalty? Yes it possible. If because of an offside penalty on the defense it was a first and 5 then a 5 yard penalty on offense it would be 1st and 10.

The quality in officiating is directly and absolutely affected by the number of officials doing it. The number of experienced and qualified officials is going down due to officials getting out of the business for one reason or another. The number of people willing and with the guts to start doing it continues to be less and less every year. Its math, if the number of officials quitting is more than then the number joining and getting experience then the quality on the field is going to be less than you would like. If we have 25 games that need officiated and only 20 experienced crews that means 5 crews will be on the field getting on the job training. Will there be mistakes? YES. Will they be a little slower in making decisions ? YES. Will they miss something? YES. Will they do anything TO AFFECT THE OUTCOME? NO!!!!!! Why would you think your game was such a big deal an official would cheat which is what that comment suggests. That's an insult to all the men that put on the stripes to do a thankless job. They are doing the best they can and are learning . They are doing a job sometimes for the first time and doing it with 5 men in a game that takes college and pros 7 to do.

The views and observations posted on this thread shows that some of you have a good eye for football. Let the game of football benefit from that and join a local chapter.

+100

Working 3 hours and making in excess of $100 most times, that's not a little. Refs should be graded and held accountable for $30/hr pay...

I would certainly love to make $100 most of the time. I only make $100 when I go to do several sub-varsity games on a Thursday night and have to drive 60-plus miles one way to get to my destination.

I didn't say 1st and 10 wasn't possible after a 5 yard penalty but it isn't after the 1st play of a series after a punt when a 5 yard penalty is called on the offense on the 1st play. I officiated for years and I know how hard it is but I did it because I loved the game and the kids playing it not for the money I made. I don't care who controls the officiating UIL or whoever but whoever in now doing it needs to do a better job of making sure the officials are more efficient at their job. I don't see very many home calls but I do see way too many games that are decided by poor calls instead of the players. I really hate so many flag happy officials who don't let the teams play. On every play holding could be called but if it is on the opposite side from where the ball goes it should not be call called because it has no effect of the outcome of that play. Passing plays holding in the line is a different story they should be called , running plays are different. There is bad officiating all the way up through every level especially high school and college and I'm sure it will never be completely eliminated but better would be much appreciated.

Officials have a job I wouldn't want. You never see a thread on SDC about how good a job the officials did in a game. The only time you hear about officials is when they screw up. Are there some green ones out there that don't know the rule book backwards and forwards? Sure. Instead of calling them idiots, why don't we give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to learn? The number of veteran officials is getting smaller every year, and they don't grow on trees. Judgement calls are going to besides from time to time. But the worst thing an official can do, even if he knows he blew the call, is change it after he's made it. That just tells the crowd, and the coaching staff that they can affect his judgement with their outrage. I thinks all officials want us to not even notice them.

Billeaux I can assure you it didn't happen that way on the pictures!! You can see where his eyes are and where the flag was thrown at that he was throwing it at the obvious holding by the defense!! I'm not saying it's not a tough job or that they do a poor job! I was using one obvious example of of a missed call!! But look at where his hands are! If it happened before that he would have had his hand on the flag before the pictures I showed and if you would like I could send the rest!! No holding and I'm sure he either got confused or thought he saw something else and lost his train of thought!! But it was an obvious mess up!!

Billeaux I can assure you it didn't happen that way on the pictures!! You can see where his eyes are and where the flag was thrown at that he was throwing it at the obvious holding by the defense!! I'm not saying it's not a tough job or that they do a poor job! I was using one obvious example of of a missed call!! But look at where his hands are! If it happened before that he would have had his hand on the flag before the pictures I showed and if you would like I could send the rest!! No holding and I'm sure he either got confused or thought he saw something else and lost his train of thought!! But it was an obvious mess up!!

Last season, on two different occasions, I witnessed offsetting penalties of false start on the offense and offsides on the defense. I may be totally wrong, but it HAS to be one or the other, right?? It can't be both, can it??

lol yes, either one or the other. If the offense moves, it's a false start unless they determine that the defense jumped into the neutral zone making the offense move, then it's offsides.

True blue, I they don't know the rules they should indeed be given time to learn the rules, just not in a game. Just this last week Tatum fumbled the ball, it rolled 10 yards and was recovered by Troup. The refs brought the ball back to where the fumble occurred and gave it to Troup. They just gave Troup 10 yards. Ridiculous.

For those who wish to see the UIL take over the sports officials, they are precluded by HB1775 passed this summer. The pertinent text is as follows:

(g) The league may not sponsor or organize or attempt to

sponsor or organize any association of sports officials in which

the majority of the membership is composed of sports officials who

officiate team sports.

The UIL has some disciplinary powers.

I believe the issue with spotty officiating is greater in the smaller schools. The reason - the bigger classifications draw larger gates and thus the games pay more to the officials. Naturally, the better officials are attracted to the better gates. If I were to re-write the UIL rules I would have the gates paid to the chapter and have the chapter pay the officials as based on their grade. The chapter assignor would assign the officials by how the games are rated across classification. For example a 4A game between a #1 & #6 ranked team in a district may be ranked as a "C" game and be assigned to a official team with a "C" grade. A #2 & #3 game in a 2A classification may be classified as an "A" game. A game between a #4 & #5 playing the last week of the season may be an "A" game.

Of coarse for this to work you would have to have timely feedback from the coaches.

This would be fine if: A) coaches have NO input. Most are pretty ignorant of the rules, have no idea of mechanics and sour pusses when they loses. B) you apply same principle to the coaches. Their pay based on how the parents feel they coached.

This would be fine if: A) coaches have NO input. Most are pretty ignorant of the rules, have no idea of mechanics and sour pusses when they loses. B) you apply same principle to the coaches. Their pay based on how the parents feel they coached.

I think the chapter rates the officials into 3 tiers. Officials know those that are know the rules, have proper mechanics, and are in shape. The chapter rates their own. I believe you need coaches feedback to assist the assignor. One of the assignors roles is to avoid unnecessary conflict. Some personality conflicts are like gasoline and a match. Like I said earlier most of the complaints seem to come from smaller classifications.

A big game at 2A should be treated with the same respect as a 4A game. A "lopsided" game at 4A should not trump an important 2A game because of the gate. "Green" officials start at the bottom and earn their why up. Seasoned officials that are past their prime might move down.

I think the chapter rates the officials into 3 tiers. Officials know those that are know the rules, have proper mechanics, and are in shape. The chapter rates their own. I believe you need coaches feedback to assist the assignor. One of the assignors roles is to avoid unnecessary conflict. Some personality conflicts are like gasoline and a match. Like I said earlier most of the complaints seem to come from smaller classifications.

A big game at 2A should be treated with the same respect as a 4A game. A "lopsided" game at 4A should not trump an important 2A game because of the gate. "Green" officials start at the bottom and earn their why up. Seasoned officials that are past their prime might move down.

I agree completely. I think it's hard to take a coach's criticism serious when their only reviews are after losses and only comments are complaints. I value a coach's opinion about as much as they value a parent's.

In my chapter we have been doing several 4a/5a games as we have moved up as a crew. But our favorite game and unfortunately didn't get this year is a rival 1a game from schools 7 miles apart.

We all want to call games in Cowboys stadium but when you are in a community that rolls up street lights for Friday game; nothing is better.

I hate it when Refs get together and make calls I do not agree with.... They are always picking on my team.... they have it out for me....I am sure glad they never look at me after I call in a bad play and say how smart I am... Why do they not see that my kids are perfect and the other team is always taken the cheap shots...

This year in Gilmer. D'field has the ball 1st and 10. Fumble on the play and Daingerfield recovers own fumble. Gilmer's defense lines up for the next play. Daingerfield's offense lining up for next play. Then the Umpire says it's Gilmer's ball, and they start their possession "2nd" down and 10. Seen with mine own eyes. Baffling.