Marshall Vs. Pine Tree  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Pine Tree in a blowout
    • Pine Tree in a close one
    • Marshall in a blowout
    • Marshall in a close one

Track season in October? Why not!

If the last 3 games are any indication, this could be an offensive battle as Marshall travels to the new PT stadium.

Marshall has been scoring in bushels, but they have been surrendering points in equal sized bushels.

The last 3 games Marshall has scored 35, 22, and 64 points. But they have also given up 28, 49, and 59 in those same games.

Last Friday Marshall snapped a three game district losing streak with a 64-59 win over MP in a game completely devoid of defense.

Pine Tree is on a three game skid in which they have given up 45 to Nacogdoches, 45 to Texas High, and 35 to Hallsville.while scoring 13/14 in each of the three.

one thing is almost certain..... each other's defense will likely keep the other team in the game.

This isn't a must-win game for either, but a loss could make it difficult for either to make the playoffs as PT has SS and MP remaining on it's schedule and Marshall has Texas High and SS.

A PT loss: would force the Pirates to need a sweep in their final two games against MP and SS , and maybe need some help along the way. At 0-3, it woud put their playoff hopes on life support.

A PT Win: would mean PT would only need one more win to possibly make the playoffs for the first time in over a decade. PT has split with Marshall the last 2 seasons. Winning in 2011 and falling last season.

A Marshall loss: This could make things sloppy for the Mavs with the possibility of a multiple team tie for the final playoff spot (with MP and PT). A loss would mean the Mavs would need to beat Texas High or SS to clinch on their own.

A Marshall Win: coupled with a MP loss to Texas High Friday would clinch at least a 4th place finish for the Mavs, ending their 2 year playoff drought and give signs of life. Maybe returning to form in the future.

District Standings

Texas High 2-0

Hallsville 2-0

Sulphur Springs 1-1

Marshall 1-1

Mt. Pleasant 0-2

Pine Tree 0-2

Was doing some looking around.

The five losses Marshall has are against five teams that are a combined (30-3). Three of them are undefeated.

Whitehouse (7-0)

Kilgore (6-0)

Parkway (6-0)

Longview (6-1)

Hallsville (5-2)

That's insane. Likely 4 district champions sitting right there. And Hallsville could still challenge for the title.

Was doing some looking around.

The five losses Marshall has are against five teams that are a combined (30-3). Three of them are undefeated.

Whitehouse (7-0)

Kilgore (6-0)

Parkway (6-0)

Longview (6-1)

Hallsville (5-2)

That's insane. Likely 4 district champions sitting right there. And Hallsville could still challenge for the title.

And a fourth should be undefeated <_<

Cheering for the Mavos. Not sure how different the PT offense will be with Chumley.

Chumley played most of the Bobcat game. I am going with PT in a nail-biter but want Marshall to win. Really this game could go either way. Mav, I thnk you need to check your standings in the top post. That or I'm reading what you are meaning all wrong.

I dont think this one will be too close. For some reason, (no evidence to back me up though) I just get a feeling that the Marshall defense will actually show up to this game. Our offense is finally starting to put up some points and take advantage of the athletes that we have on that side of the ball. Gonna guess 42-21.

I can't help but wonder.....

Would people feel better about this team if we would have had a more realistic non-district schedule that could have potentially given us a few wins in place of those disastrous blowouts?

I'm all for a tough schedule. It makes you better. But.... ours was ridiculous considering where we are as a program.

A schedule like this years' would have been great in 2004-2010. But not now.

I can't help but wonder if we had kept say..... Longview and Parkway..... both substantial losses on the schedule.... and instead had a couple of Shreveport schools in place of Kilgore and Whitehouse...... Marshall could be sitting at 4-3 right now. Still not pretty. But 4-3 is a lot prettier than where we are.

I'm sure coach Harper will seize control of the schedule. Since this one was a leftover from the previous coach.

I'm willing to bet we will see something more reasonable next season. Something that will be tough enough to make us better.... but also realistic enough to keep them from being 1-4 or 0-5. Let the team build some confidence.

It has been a discussion over on the Mav board. Interesting stuff.

It's hard to take a team that's 2-5 seriously. We won't get respect until we earn it back again.

Small steps. But I think we are headed in the right direction. A win Friday night will be yet another step headed that way.

Something to think about. IF....IF Marshall wins and makes the playoffs with a 3-7 type record.... remember, that was Texas High's record last season headed to the playoffs. And they are 6-1 this season.

Let's go Mavs!

Regain Respect!!

Nearly 600 yards of offense for Marshall against MP.

Nearly 500 for MP against Marshall.

I'm not sure I can sit through another game like that......I was exhausted after!

I saw PT earlier this year when they played Kilgore and they didn't look overly explosive. BUT.... they were playing KILGORE. The Bulldogs make everyone look bad. They went 3-0 against 14-4A...and none of them were even close.

Nearly 600 yards of offense for Marshall against MP.

Nearly 500 for MP against Marshall.

I'm not sure I can sit through another game like that......I was exhausted after!

I saw PT earlier this year when they played Kilgore and they didn't look overly explosive. BUT.... they were playing KILGORE. The Bulldogs make everyone look bad. They went 3-0 against 14-4A...and none of them were even close.

How bout ya MavChamp how does it feel knowing your Mavericks got that monkey off their back their first district win against a good MP team. I told you Marshall has a good team ever since I saw them play my Dogs from Kilgore I told my brother watch give Marshall a little bit let them start figuring it out and they will be a team to reckon with in that district. That brutal non district scheduled more than prepared them for district I really believe that. I really hope Marshall still continues to get better every wk and make the playoffs cause yall really do have a good football team im dead serious.

Good Luck this wk against PT

How bout ya MavChamp how does it feel knowing your Mavericks got that monkey off their back their first district win against a good MP team. I told you Marshall has a good team ever since I saw them play my Dogs from Kilgore I told my brother watch give Marshall a little bit let them start figuring it out and they will be a team to reckon with in that district. That brutal non district scheduled more than prepared them for district I really believe that. I really hope Marshall still continues to get better every wk and make the playoffs cause yall really do have a good football team im dead serious.

Good Luck this wk against PT

Thanks for the kind words. The last 2 seasons have been inexplicable. It felt like being pushed off a cliff.

While our record isn't pretty...... there is NO QUESTION we are better than we have been the previous two seasons. It has been NIGHT AND DAY! We were a team that struggled to get first downs..... much less touchdowns.

Part of me wishes we would have had a slightly softer non-district schedule just so these guys have a little more confidence in themselves. That non-district line up was BRUTAL!!! Like I said......those four losses were probably to 4 district champions.

I can't wait for the day when we are actually favored to win some of those games. But I'll take progress at the moment!

Best of luck to the Dawgs. I saw you guys twice this year.... and Kilgore is THE real deal.

Thanks for the kind words. The last 2 seasons have been inexplicable. It felt like being pushed off a cliff.

While our record isn't pretty...... there is NO QUESTION we are better than we have been the previous two seasons. It has been NIGHT AND DAY! We were a team that struggled to get first downs..... much less touchdowns.

Part of me wishes we would have had a slightly softer non-district schedule just so these guys have a little more confidence in themselves. That non-district line up was BRUTAL!!! Like I said......those four losses were probably to 4 district champions.

I can't wait for the day when we are actually favored to win some of those games. But I'll take progress at the moment!

Best of luck to the Dawgs. I saw you guys twice this year.... and Kilgore is THE real deal.

How young is Marshall are they playing a bunch of seniors?

Thanks man yeah a lot of peoole have written Kilgore off already just because how Gwater played em last wk. But a bunch of people are going to be disappointed when Kilgore takes that DC trophy this yr. Its gonna be a fight to do it but I really think we have the team.

Good Luck tomorrow night