Bullying?

necks89

Was Aledo’s 91-0 football win last week a case of bullying?

By Ryan Osborne

[email protected]

Aledo coach Tim Buchanan, as he’s done after every game this season, gathered his assistants last Friday night to go over another Bearcats win. This time, the room had a different feel.

“We were just sitting there,” Buchanan said. “You’d have thought we got beat. I looked around and asked, ‘Is there anyone here that feels good?’”

Aledo beat Fort Worth Western Hills 91-0 at home, pushing its season pace to 69.3 points a game and running its undefeated record to 7-0. But the Bearcats were also met again with the challenge of keeping a lopsided matchup from getting out of hand.

“I’m upset about it,” Buchanan said. “I don’t like it. I sit there the whole third and fourth quarter and try to think how I can keep us from scoring.”

Aledo, which has been No. 1 in The Associated Press statewide Class 4A poll since Sept. 9, has put up 77 points or more in each of its four district games, including 84-7 wins over Fort Worth Arlington Heights and Fort Worth Wyatt.

On Friday, the Bearcats rushed for 391 yards and scored eight touchdowns on the ground. Running back Jess Anders had four touchdowns on four touches. Ryan Newsome returned consecutive punt returns for scores.

Buchanan said he pulled his starters on offense after 21 snaps and that a running clock was implemented in the third quarter. Aledo’s quarterbacks combined for 10 pass attempts.

Despite his efforts to slow his own team down, criticism still found its way to Buchanan. He said he received notice Saturday morning that a bullying report had been filed against him by a Western Hills parent.

By state law, Aledo and all school districts must provide a bullying report form on their website. Aledo’s principal has to investigate the allegations reported and prepare a written report of the investigation, determining whether bullying occurred. Buchanan said he has the support of the Aledo administration. But he didn’t dismiss the serious nature of the report.

“I have to address it,” Buchanan said. “It’s not something you can laugh off or anything like that. What they said was that I should’ve told my players to ease up and not play so hard.”

Western Hills coach John Naylor said Sunday he hadn’t heard of the report being filed, but disagreed with the allegations.

“I think the game was handled fine,” Naylor said. “They’re No. 1 for a reason, and I know coach Buchanan. We’re fighting a real uphill battle right now.”

Naylor, whose roster had around 30 players Friday night, said there was only so much Aledo could do to stop scoring.

“We just ran into a buzzsaw, you know,” Naylor said. “[Aledo] just plays hard. And they’re good sports, and they don’t talk at all. They get after it, and that’s the way football is supposed to be played in Texas.”

Buchanan said he enjoys the Bearcats’ big wins for about a half.

“In the first half, I’m excited about us scoring, then I’m sitting here going what the heck am I going to do?” he said.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That parent needs to pull their son out of football and never attend a game again. Absolutely ridiculous when the opposing coach is trying to figure out ways how NOT to score.

You never tell your kids to "ease up."

Ridiculous. They weren't taking timeouts. Starters were pulled 21 plays in. This isn't Refugio.

Maybe Texas needs to look at implementing a mercy rule for 1A thru 5A now?

God no. It's football. We don't need to end games early because the score gets out of hand. Play the game. There's a running clock option for a reason.

Not sure what's stupider to me, the bullying report or the Aledo coach's politically-correct remarks which seem intended to point out he's not Jason Herring. ("Don't hate us, we didn't wanna run up the score. We really, really didn't and we all felt terrible about it. After the game the coaches all got together and had a good cry. Then we did each other's nails and had a pillow fight.")

On my b team tennis team we had a special way of taking care of things ourselves. Just need three b teamers. Two b teamers holds the bullys arms while the third aims the tball cannon cranked wide-open an stuffed full. Makes a gentleman outa anybody True storie

Not sure what's stupider to me, the bullying report or the Aledo coach's politically-correct remarks which seem intended to point out he's not Jason Herring. ("Don't hate us, we didn't wanna run up the score. We really, really didn't and we all felt terrible about it. After the game the coaches all got together and had a good cry. Then we did each other's nails and had a pillow fight.")

+1

I'm tired of people whining these days!!!!!!!!!

America is getting soft and I'm sitting here thinking thank God I live in Texas and then I'm reminding that being soft happens in Texas as well!

This is football! You run your offense and NEVER let up! If you get mad bc you gave up 91 and think its bullying.....then why didn't you score? Should we tell the Aledo defense to let the other team score? It shouldnt matter if you lose 2-0 or 91-0 its still a L in the lose column and at the end of the day that's all it is!!!

So if a Heavyweight fighter Knocks his opponent out in 10 seconds of the first round is that bulling his opponent ?..Key word ..Opponent.

There is no way you can bully another opponent, They CHOSE to put their jockstrap on and suit up and do battle on the field under the friday night lights. End off discussion.

If they had drug some kids out of the stands kickin and screamin on the field and kept them there with Bullwhips and Chains, perhaps we could discuss bulling.

A parent filed a bullying report because their kid's 4A Varsity team got the snot beat out of 'em by the 3rd string & waterboys of another team....

This constitutes bullying now?? Really??

Un-freakin'-believable!!! I guess I've heard it all now!

To Report Parent, I have 3 things to say:

1). You are a double barreled moron!

2). If you're the kid's father, turn in your Man Card immediately!! All rights & privileges have been revoked, & you are out, bud!

3). Remove your little darlin' from ALL athletic endeavors, & go ahead & buy a pretty little frilly pink skirt for the boy & get it over with!!!

A parent filed a bullying report because their kid's 4A Varsity team got the snot beat out of 'em by the 3rd string & waterboys of another team....

This constitutes bullying now?? Really??

Un-freakin'-believable!!! I guess I've heard it all now!

To Report Parent, I have 3 things to say:

1). You are a double barreled moron!

2). If you're the kid's father, turn in your Man Card immediately!! All rights & privileges have been revoked, & you are out, bud!

3). Remove your little darlin' from ALL athletic endeavors, & go ahead & buy a pretty little frilly pink skirt for the boy & get it over with!!!

It's quite obvious that he never was issued a man card. He didnt have a BALLS point pen for application.