2013-2014 NBA Season

topher805

While NBA typically stands for Not Before April, what are some thoughts about the upcoming season?

Can the old men in San Antonio put together another run, or was last year a final hurrah?

Will the addition of Dwight Howard turn the Rockets into serious contenders, or are they still a piece short of the elite?

Oklahoma City, elite or just toying with us?

Memphis, elite or just toying with us?

LA Clippers, elite or just toying with us?

Can Miami three-peat?

Will Rose return in some form similar to the Derrick Rose that made Chicago a serious contender?

Will Indiana take another step forward or will they stay a step behind Miami?

There are plenty of other questions that I could pose, but what are some thoughts about the upcoming season?

While NBA typically stands for Not Before April, what are some thoughts about the upcoming season?

Can the old men in San Antonio put together another run, or was last year a final hurrah?

I still expect 50+ wins and a playoff run for the Spurs, but if the can win the title depends on if Kawai takes the next step forward.

Will the addition of Dwight Howard turn the Rockets into serious contenders, or are they still a piece short of the elite?

I think they will be elite, but they are still outside of the top 3 teams in the West. Even if Howard is away from Kobe I do not think he is the same player that he was in Orlando before back surgery.

Oklahoma City, elite or just toying with us?

Elite, the Westbrook injury during the playoffs is causing everybody to forget how good OKC was last season. Durant is still improving, and OKC does as good of job of developing young talent as good as anybody in the NBA.

Memphis, elite or just toying with us?

Toying, I think Memphis is a solid 4 or 5 seed. They will play tough defense, but have no outside scoring at all. They could make it the Western Conference Finals with major injuries happening to the top teams like last season.

LA Clippers, elite or just toying with us?

Elite, they will have the best offense in the NBA this season. They have the 3rd best player in the NBA, and he is surrounded by good offensive talent. However, they will not be able to guard anybody when it counts, and are really thin with big men.

Can Miami three-peat?

I don't see any reason why not. Lebron is Lebron even with the pieces around him decaying.

Will Rose return in some form similar to the Derrick Rose that made Chicago a serious contender?

I expect Rose to be even better than before. Hopefully he improved his shooting during this year off because that is he only real offensive weakness. Chicago will have the best defense in the NBA, but when it comes down to it only Rose can create his own shot and its hard to see then getting past Miami.

Will Indiana take another step forward or will they stay a step behind Miami?

How much Indiana improves really depends on the growth of Roy Hibbert and Paul George. They get Danny Granger back, but that could just hurt George's minutes. I think they will be a top 4 seed and could make the finals if things go right.

My Predictions:

West Playoff Teams

1. San Antonio Spurs - Nothing new here.
  2. L.A. Clippers - Doc Rivers is a major upgrade over Vinny plus they have something to prove in the regular season.
  3. OKC Thunder - I still think they are the best team in the West, but Westbrook missing the first 4-6 weeks of the season will hurt their seed.
  4. Houston Rockets - Not as talented top to bottom as the first three, and it takes time for teams to adujust to each other.
  5. Memphis Grizzilies - Nothing new here
  6. Golden State Warriors - Expect them to be about the same as last season.
  7. Minnesota Timberwolves - A healthy Kevin Love with that lineup from last season is good enough for a playoff berth.
  8. Dallas Mavericks - A healthy Dirk with decent piecies around him with make the playoffs.

East Playoff Teams

1. Chicago Bulls - Will push in the regular season.
  2. Miami Heat - I exepct them to lay off the gas until the playoffs.
  3. Indiana Pacers - Will be like last year.
  4. Brooklyn Nets - This team will not push in the regualar season with so many old players.
  5. New York Knicks - Same thing as last year for better or worse.
  6. Altanta Hawks - Al Horford is really underated and he will carry the Hawks to the 6 seed in a weak East.
  7. Washington Wizards - John Wall was on fire when he returned last year and that will carry the Wizards into the playoffs.
  8. Cleveland Cavaliers - Kyrie keeps improving plus they got a coach who will make them play defense.

NBA Champion - Miami Heat

MVP - Kevin Durant - I expect the Heat to try and mangage Lebron's minutes this year. That along with Westbrook being out will give Durant a chance to shine. People reconize his scoring ability, but the average NBA fan has not noticed his improvment in every area of the game. He had always been a strong rebounder, but he had now worked himself into an above average passer and defender.

Defensive Player of the Year - Dwight Howard

Coach of the Year - Mike Brown

Rookie of the Year - Victor Oladipo

1st team All NBA

G - Chris Paul

G - Derrick Rose

F- Lebron

F- Kevin Durant

C - Dwight Howard

2nd Team All NBA

G - James Harden

G - Tony Parker

F - Carmelo Anthony

F - Paul George

C - Marc Gasol

3rd Team All NBA

G - Stephen Curry

G - Russell Westbrook

F - Kevin Love

F - Dirk

C - Tim Duncan

1. LA Clippers - I really hate to put them here because I just don't buy into what they are selling, but Paul with Rivers will make them good. They really need Griffin to develop more offensively this year.
  2. OKC Thunder - I still think they are the best team in the West, but Westbrook missing the first 4-6 weeks of the season will hurt their seed.
  3. San Antonio Spurs - Extended season last year leads me to think Pops will lay off the gas during the regular season, especially early in the year.
  4. Houston Rockets - I don't think they are quite there yet, plus I am in a wait-and-see mode with Howard. He has a coach that can really help him develop more as a post, but only if Howard wants it (which remains to be seen).
  5. Memphis Grizzilies - Nothing new here
  6. Golden State Warriors - Curry and Thompson could be as lethal of a front court as any in the league, but defense will hurt this team a lot.
  7. Minnesota Timberwolves - A healthy Kevin Love with that lineup from last season is good enough for a playoff berth.
  8. Dallas Mavericks - Dallas will be much better this year, but the top of the West is absolutely loaded. Not sure if Dallas has enough to keep up with the Joneses right now.
  9. Utah Jazz/Portland Trailblazers - Two teams that have talented young players, but not sure if they can crack the top-8.

East Playoff Teams

1. Indiana Pacers - I expect to see them take a step forward this year, especially with a healthy lineup.
  2. Miami Heat - I exepct them to lay off the gas until the playoffs.
  3. Chicago Bulls - Wait and see mode with Rose. I think they are good, and will be a contender in the East, but early struggles are going to drop them a few spots come the end of the year.
  4. Atlanta Hawks - Horford will be good and lead them over the rest, and the Hawks will stay where they have been the past few years. A playoff team that can't win on the road.
  5. New York Knicks - Same thing as last year for better or worse.
  6. Brooklyn Nets - I just can't buy into them. First year coach that is a year out of playing. An old roster with a coach killer at point guard.
  7. Washington Wizards - John Wall was on fire when he returned last year and that will carry the Wizards into the playoffs.
  8. Cleveland Cavaliers - Kyrie keeps improving plus they got a coach who will make them play defense.

I also expect Tim Duncan to announce this will be his final season at some point this year.

Dwayne Wade will continue to decline after years of beating on his body. Carmelo Anthony will not return to New York and will create a media circus throughout the year.

LeBron will keep his impending free agency quiet and Chris Bosh will be traded before the year ends.

Kobe will come back, but will be a shell of his former self.

I just wonder with the geriatric legs on that Mavs squad if they can stay healthy enough to even make the playoffs. I just dont see it... Who will Dallas try to bring in next off season as far as free agents?

A lot of big names on the market next year, but it is a matter of whether or not Cuban will be able to lure those guys to Dallas. The Lakers will have plenty of spending room and will need to replenish with a big name, a la LeBron. I am interested in what Cuban will be able to do next year, because it is seeming more and more like the Mavericks are becoming a second tier team just a couple years removed from a title. Dallas seems to have lost its luster to free agents, even with an extremely supportive owner and decent fan base.

A lot of big names on the market next year, but it is a matter of whether or not Cuban will be able to lure those guys to Dallas. The Lakers will have plenty of spending room and will need to replenish with a big name, a la LeBron. I am interested in what Cuban will be able to do next year, because it is seeming more and more like the Mavericks are becoming a second tier team just a couple years removed from a title. Dallas seems to have lost its luster to free agents, even with an extremely supportive owner and decent fan base.

I'm not sure Dallas really ever had any luster. I can't think of a marquee guy signing there as a free agent during the Cuban era.

Are are Power Rankings from Yahoo!:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-power-rankings--heat-open-on-top-011627367.html

As for Dallas, for some reason it seemed like Dallas was the "it" place in Texas just a couple of years ago. With the Super Bowl, Final Four, and everything else that has come through, it seemed like they were poised for a rise in popularity.

Either way, they seem like a 6-8 seed team that could reach the second round of the playoffs with the right matchup, and then get stuck with a bad spot in the draft. That said, they should have a little money to spend next year after holding out for guys like Deron Williams and Dwight Howard in recent years.

I see Cuban bypassing Lebron and chasing Carmelo Anthony. Lebron isn't leaving Miami, and deep down, I am sure Mark Cuban knows that.

I see Cuban bypassing Lebron and chasing Carmelo Anthony. Lebron isn't leaving Miami, and deep down, I am sure Mark Cuban knows that.

If I was LeBron, I would take a long hard look at the Lakers. They need an heir apparent to Kobe...

So does every other team in the NBA :) Lebron is going to win anywhere he goes. I was somewhat saddened to see him not consider Dallas with the team that the Mavericks had when he chose the Heat. It was also depressing that Dallas couldn't get Dwight Howard. Even more depressing that we couldn't even get a broken Greg Odom.

So does every other team in the NBA :) Lebron is going to win anywhere he goes. I was somewhat saddened to see him not consider Dallas with the team that the Mavericks had when he chose the Heat. It was also depressing that Dallas couldn't get Dwight Howard. Even more depressing that we couldn't even get a broken Greg Odom.

I understand why free agents are staying away right now. The roster is old and a rebuild isn't far ahead.

I don't get why some guys stayed away a couple of years ago when Dallas was among the elite. Maybe agents and players saw the writing on the wall then.

I think part of the problem with Dallas being old is that Beubois didn't really turn into the phenom that everyone around the organization had hoped. He was supposed to be a key piece when Dirk retires... I think we are hoping that becomes someone else really soon.

The 2013-2014 season opens with a clean sweep by Texas teams.

Charlotte 83

Houston 96 - Watched most of this game and the Rockets struggled early. I don't expect them to shoot that poorly every night, but I was impressed with their depth, especially at the guard position. I hope they hang on to Asik, having a back-up that talented is a huge advantage, but his trade value won't get much higher. For now everyone is playing nice, and it looks to be a good year for Houston. As for Charlotte, they are improved and won't be the same blowout win for opposing teams all year.

Atlanta 109

Dallas 118 - Didn't watch, but the box score tells me everything I need to know. Lotta offense, and not a lot of defense. Monta Ellis will be a blessing and a curse throughout the year.

Memphis 94

San Antonio 101 - Probably one of the most intriguing Opening Night games. San Antonio proved they still got it. A balanced effort offensively, with Kawhi Leonard leading the team with 14 points. Despite an aging Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobli, the Spurs have a young core that will push through the regular season. Another team with a fun year ahead. For Memphis, a 30-7 run by the Spurs, did the Grizzlies in during the second quarter. Still a talented team, but I think they would still be better with Rudy Gay.

I just wonder with the geriatric legs on that Mavs squad if they can stay healthy enough to even make the playoffs. I just dont see it... Who will Dallas try to bring in next off season as far as free agents?

Mavs get in at #7. They can score but their defense is poor.

interesting find the other day Jalen Rose predicts that in the next few years when westbrook and durant play out their contracts they will leave OKC. Durant to Houston to play with Harden & Dwight, and Westbrook to Lakers to play with Kevin Love. yall's thoughts?

interesting find the other day Jalen Rose predicts that in the next few years when westbrook and durant play out their contracts they will leave OKC. Durant to Houston to play with Harden & Dwight, and Westbrook to Lakers to play with Kevin Love. yall's thoughts?

Sounds like we should have a 4 team league... Knicks, Lakers, Miami, Boston.

The league enables players to create a few all-star teams at the expense of the rest of the league. I wonder why the regular season is so boring and pointless to watch..................

Sounds like we should have a 4 team league... Knicks, Lakers, Miami, Boston.

The league enables players to create a few all-star teams at the expense of the rest of the league. I wonder why the regular season is so boring and pointless to watch..................

Miami will be breaking up soon! Money factor will come into play this time not winning championships!

I doubt that will happen.

The sad thing is this new CBA was supposed to help small market teams and reign in the big market teams. It has done the exact opposite.