Question for Gilmer Fans

Nacwagons

My dad and I always travel around to watch Highschool football games together. One game I remember going to see was a playoff game in the 80's with Gilmer playing someone at Mesquite Hanby Stadium. I can never remember the exact year and who they played. I think it was before 1985, but not 100% positive. I had alway thought it might have been Corrgan Camden or Linden Kildare but now that doesnt make sense since Mesquite is a long way for all those teams and not really a half way spot. I know this is a needle in a hay stack question but can anyone from Glimer shed any light on this??

We played 2 or 3 games in Mesquite Memorial in '81. I still remember the play where the refs un-pilled everyone at about mid-field and couldn't find the football. No one in the stadium could seem to spot the football either until our QB was spotted way down in the end zone by himself with it. Sure seemed like some kind of Houdini play. Our QB was as bowlegged as all git out, but he was way faster than he looked. I think he won the 400 dash in the state track meet that year.

It might be, I could have sworn they were Blue and White and it was definately around that time and for sure at Handby.

Yes, that's it then. Waco Connally is blue and white. That year we ran the triple-option offense and were very good at it. Connally was the first team that season that shut it down...almost.

We never played in Hanby Stadium in '81, if memory serves. We played at Mesquite Memorial...I think.

hey flag...just saw where Gilmer is trying to pass a bond. hope all passes, that will be great for the students, faculty and community. Brand new HS along with an indoor!!! NICE

hey flag...just saw where Gilmer is trying to pass a bond. hope all passes, that will be great for the students, faculty and community. Brand new HS along with an indoor!!! NICE

It may, or may not pass. I don't think the proposal had enough public input, and would raise taxes by about $20 a month per $100k of property. I'm not a fan of the way they have it laid out, and it wasn't thought out well enough to suit me. As much as Gilmer NEEDS a new high school, they have to come up with a better plan, in my opinion. There is still property that is not being used that, instead, is just sitting there dilapidating. They need to figure out what they are going to do with that property BEFORE any bond is proposed. I say the school use the elementary property for either a bus barn, moving the current one to increase parking for the visitors, and/or use it for administration offices, tearing down the current vocational building. That's just me, though, and I will vote NO..., for now.

I assume you are referring to our 1981 SC Game run. We beat Van in Bi Dist., Paul

Pequot in Regionals, Wylie in q finals and Kermit in the semis. I assume you are

Referring to the Wylie game. Great game we won 16-14.

you mean PAUL PEWITT in Regionals.

It may, or may not pass. I don't think the proposal had enough public input, and would raise taxes by about $20 a month per $100k of property. I'm not a fan of the way they have it laid out, and it wasn't thought out well enough to suit me. As much as Gilmer NEEDS a new high school, they have to come up with a better plan, in my opinion. There is still property that is not being used that, instead, is just sitting there dilapidating. They need to figure out what they are going to do with that property BEFORE any bond is proposed. I say the school use the elementary property for either a bus barn, moving the current one to increase parking for the visitors, and/or use it for administration offices, tearing down the current vocational building. That's just me, though, and I will vote NO..., for now.

Hate to hear that...old elementary is on the tear down schedule...got a lot of asbestos remediation...& there has been talk of moving the bus barn...just takes time & money...the high school is ready fro replcement...I kinda like the way they have it laid out.

I'm with you Buckeyebob. The old elementary "does" need to be demolished bad. That will open up room for the buses at a later date,, but these kids need new facilities right NOW!!! The current high school is far too inadequate for these kids. The roof needs to be replaced,,, not nearly enough up to date rooms to utilize them for the pre college courses the kids need to be offered. No AC or heating in the hallways. The bathroom facilities are the pits. If we don't take advantage of the lowest tax rates in decades,, and wait for rates to jump back up to six to eight percent in two or three years,, suddenly that 32 million jumps to 50 million,, and I wonder how folks will feel about their yearly tax payments then? There is no better time to do this.

Ok, I've jumped off my soap box,,, back to football. :)

I hate to see y'all being pressured to say YES to something not thought out well, just because a new high school is needed. They threw this proposal together just because there are repairs that need to be done now. Believe me, they will rethink it a LOT BETTER if they are given another year to put the proposal together. The interest rate has been declining for a few months now, and I don't see anything major changing as far as interest rates at least in the next two years.

Do I want what's best for the kids? ABSOLUTELY

Do I think we need a new high school? ABSOLUTELY

Do I think the proposal was well thought out? ABSOLUTELY NOT

Do I think the proposal should pass? ABSOLUTELY NOT, but, unfortunately, it likely will because of the school board playing on the emotions of the people.

I hate to see y'all being pressured to say YES to something not thought out well, just because a new high school is needed. They threw this proposal together just because there are repairs that need to be done now. Believe me, they will rethink it a LOT BETTER if they are given another year to put the proposal together. The interest rate has been declining for a few months now, and I don't see anything major changing as far as interest rates at least in the next two years.

Do I want what's best for the kids? ABSOLUTELY

Do I think we need a new high school? ABSOLUTELY

Do I think the proposal was well thought out? ABSOLUTELY NOT

Do I think the proposal should pass? ABSOLUTELY NOT, but, unfortunately, it likely will because of the school board playing on the emotions of the people.

+1