John Tyler (7-2)(4-0) Whitehouse (9-0)(4-0)

cujoforlife

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"When you win, say little. When you lose, say less." -- let's not turn it into a disappointment if they don't win a state championship. Both teams fought hard and have the potential to make deep runs. It's much easier to say that the losses are coming, because for all but 1 team in every division, the loss will come at some point.

Anyone with a ticket tonight got their money's worth and should be proud of their team.

I can admit i was wrong. I believe both teams have great offenses rather than bad defenses. Just because you see 55-54, that isnt always an indictment on the defense. Both teams should go far.

Sugar coated with cherries on top. How sweet it must be.

I can admit i was wrong. I believe both teams have great offenses rather than bad defenses. Just because you see 55-54, that isnt always an indictment on the defense. Both teams should go far.

JT has played 3 good/decent teams this season...and given up 47 or more to all 3 of them. Their defense is not good.

JT has played 3 good/decent teams this season...and given up 47 or more to all 3 of them. Their defense is not good.

Saying that JT's defense is not good is an understatement. In the past 6 seasons, I have watched the defense surrender points and conversions when the team needed a stand the most. A good defense will make those stands against a great offense and a great defense will hold a great offense below its averages. WH has a good defense but JT has "NO" defense.

Saying that JT's defense is not good is an understatement. In the past 6 seasons, I have watched the defense surrender points and conversions when the team needed a stand the most. A good defense will make those stands against a great offense and a great defense will hold a great offense below its averages. WH has a good defense but JT has "NO" defense.

nothing against WH, but I don't think their Def is any better than JT, Especially with the loss of key players. both are about the same.

I think what happens is that WH offense overwhelms you with tempo and many teams can't keep up. And that is what gets them out of their comfort zone. Kinda what happen to Carthage, they couldn't quite match WH the entire game.

JT could, just didn't make a key conversion at the end to win.

WH reminds me of JT 2011. Very explosive offense. It should carry them far this yr.

Talent will only make "X" number of plays. The rest is LUCK especially if you believe there is no answer for a great offense.

you gotta wanna play defense...you know what I'm saying? I remember Wilson had all of his studs on defense. JT O back then was kinda crappy but the D was the freakishly scary!! Nowadays everybody wants to score TD's.

you gotta wanna play defense...you know what I'm saying? I remember Wilson had all of his studs on defense. JT O back then was kinda crappy but the D was the freakishly scary!! Nowadays everybody wants to score TD's.

50 points would be more than enough to win a game even with JT's 2002 - 2004 defenses. The killing part about it is the players JT have now are similar to those players but the attitudes are a million miles away. That's why I like Coach Holmes, he has the right attitude to bring back that CUJO fire but right now the defense isn't playing with any emotion. There is a breach between the HC having emotion and the defense playing with emotion and as soon as Coach Holmes troubleshoots his program a JT defense that commonly allows 50 plus points will be a rare occurrence.

50 points would be more than enough to win a game even with JT's 2002 - 2004 defenses. The killing part about it is the players JT have now are similar to those players but the attitudes are a million miles away. That's why I like Coach Holmes, he has the right attitude to bring back that CUJO fire but right now the defense isn't playing with any emotion. There is a breach between the HC having emotion and the defense playing with emotion and as soon as Coach Holmes troubleshoots his program a JT defense that commonly allows 50 plus points will be a rare occurrence.

is the problem the attitudes of the players or the the scheme or ?

The demographics have a lot to do with it. When you get an influx of students whose main sport is soccer (futbol) and try to transition to American style football, you will definitely have some challenges.

It's the same challenge that the El Paso, Panhandle, West Texas (in general) and Valley region schools face predominately around playoff time. I mean, look at the city of San Antonio as a whole for example. You have a population of more than ONE MILLION residents and they essentially have ONE dominant school in, Cibolo Steele.

And, after personally living in the San Antonio metroplex area, Cibolo is like so far north of San Antonio, it's truly hard to even include them as part of San Antonio but, I understand.

The demographics have a lot to do with it. When you get an influx of students whose main sport is soccer (futbol) and try to transition to American style football, you will definitely have some challenges.

It's the same challenge that the El Paso, Panhandle, West Texas (in general) and Valley region schools face predominately around playoff time. I mean, look at the city of San Antonio as a whole for example. You have a population of more than ONE MILLION residents and they essentially have ONE dominant school in, Cibolo Steele.

And, after personally living in the San Antonio metroplex area, Cibolo is like so far north of San Antonio, it's truly hard to even include them as part of San Antonio but, I understand.

What in the heck does that have to do with JT?

So, you don't think the rapidly changing demographics in North Tyler have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the type of athletes they're putting on the field now in 2013 compared to 1993 when John Tyler was a complete juggernaut in Texas Football!!!???

So, basically 20 YEARS of demographic change in residency in North Tyler has had NO effect on the CUJO football program!!!???

Okay, then........... if that's what you really want to believe.

So, how do you explain the 80's?

JT wasn't exactly a juggernaut (your word) during that decade.

Many explanations for that im sure. Cycle, districts and most importantly im sure was coaching. To say that the growing hispanic population doesn't/wont affect JT isnt being unrealistic imo.

It only like 3 or 4 Hispanic players on the varsity team n everybody else I know have been playing football since middle school or earlier and not soccer .it is more of size an strengths jt have strong players on that 94 team jt just needs to get more physical and stronger I saw poor tackling go on a lot these season

It only like 3 or 4 Hispanic players on the varsity team n everybody else I know have been playing football since middle school or earlier and not soccer .it is more of size an strengths jt have strong players on that 94 team jt just needs to get more physical and stronger I saw poor tackling go on a lot these season

That is the point..... the majority in the school at JT is hispanic, followed by the african american population. If 60% of your school is not playing football then you are only drawing from 40% of the population. You have turned an enrollment of 2000 down to an enrollment of 800. That is 3A numbers. If you think that having over 1/2 of your school not playing football does not affect the talent level of your team then you are sadly mistaken. It makes it harder to compete with schools who are drawing athletes from 2x as many kids as you are. You will have less Top athletes, less linemen (where JT hurts the most), and less depth!

The expectations at JT remain high among the supporters, but those same supporters do not (or will not) face the facts that there are less athletes at JT than ever before and that will continue to decline.

What in the heck does that have to do with JT?

I think what TobinFrost is saying is that the talent pool is not as deep at JT as it was in the 90's because of the demographic changes. In other words, in the 90's JT has around 1000 blacks at the school. Now its down just a tad below 800.

Well we all know that the black kids are the majority of the kids that come out for football at JT. Fewer black students, fewer black athletes.

I say he has a good point.

But....JT has went down to 4a during the drop off in black students, so that should even it out. 4a is not as deep as 5a.

by the way Tobin, Converse Judson, and Smithson Valley are 2 good San Antonio programs.

That is the point..... the majority in the school at JT is hispanic, followed by the african american population. If 60% of your school is not playing football then you are only drawing from 40% of the population. You have turned an enrollment of 2000 down to an enrollment of 800. That is 3A numbers. If you think that having over 1/2 of your school not playing football does not affect the talent level of your team then you are sadly mistaken. It makes it harder to compete with schools who are drawing athletes from 2x as many kids as you are. You will have less Top athletes, less linemen (where JT hurts the most), and less depth!

The expectations at JT remain high among the supporters, but those same supporters do not (or will not) face the facts that there are less athletes at JT than ever before and that will continue to decline.

great point. Its manage to some what stabilize the last few yrs. If JT black population can stay around the 800 range and they stay in 4a (5a). They should be able to compete.

Its amazing that Coach Holmes has manage to add players to the program despite the demographic changes. Heck Coach Wilson had about the same number of kids fresh-varsity in the 90's and he had 200-300 more blacks in the schools.

Coach Holmes should be given alot of credit just for that. heck, JT has 2 freshman teams. 5 yrs ago, they barely had enough for JV.