John Tyler (7-2)(4-0) Whitehouse (9-0)(4-0)

cujoforlife

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my opinion the issue with JTs defense is strength. The strength of the JT teams has been speed. When you get down to it. The linemen are always getting manhandled. Imo there would be great improvement if the overall strength from the freshman teams up would improve.

There's a lot of size on the sub-varsity teams. The strange part that I noticed is the biggest player's never play unless it's mop up time. It's a couple of white kids on the freshman teams that is over 6"1 & 250. Put these kids under that iron and some good coaching and you will get a physical presence on the line of scrimmage.

A strength coach is what JT should invest in if they don't have one.

JT has one.

That is the point..... the majority in the school at JT is hispanic, followed by the african american population. If 60% of your school is not playing football then you are only drawing from 40% of the population. You have turned an enrollment of 2000 down to an enrollment of 800. That is 3A numbers. If you think that having over 1/2 of your school not playing football does not affect the talent level of your team then you are sadly mistaken. It makes it harder to compete with schools who are drawing athletes from 2x as many kids as you are. You will have less Top athletes, less linemen (where JT hurts the most), and less depth!

The expectations at JT remain high among the supporters, but those same supporters do not (or will not) face the facts that there are less athletes at JT than ever before and that will continue to decline.

We had 43 varsity players my senior year. JT's state team played with less than 50. Coach Holmes selectively carries 53 players on the roster now. JT had over 60 freshman in 2012 and over 50 for 2013. This years senior class played on a freshman team in 2010 of less than 40. The 2009 freshman that won District 11-5A had a team of less than 50. JT freshman had 10-12 lineman easily in 2012 but only 5 got playing time. JT's incoming athletes are under prepped not less athletic.

There's a lot of size on the sub-varsity teams. The strange part that I noticed is the biggest player's never play unless it's mop up time. It's a couple of white kids on the freshman teams that is over 6"1 & 250. Put these kids under that iron and some good coaching and you will get a physical presence on the line of scrimmage.

This is a problem at a lot of the schools around here. Big kids have to be developed, coaches are living in the "now" and put what they considered the more athletic kids in front of the bigger kids. They need to put the big men down on the line, teach and develop them. When you control the line of scrimmage, you control the game. How many 5'10" 195lb lineman do you see at the college level?

It's my opinion the issue with JTs defense is strength. The strength of the JT teams has been speed. When you get down to it. The linemen are always getting manhandled. Imo there would be great improvement if the overall strength from the freshman teams up would improve.

they have one now. I think JT and Lee got one.

Well to be fair, JT biggest kid, Tra Moore is playing at DT. Bigger doesn't always mean better, but I know what you mean, you want some big kids on both sides of the line.

Who is #80 on varsity. Thats a huge kid. I saw him in on mop up duty at DT a few weeks ago.

We had 43 varsity players my senior year. JT's state team played with less than 50. Coach Holmes selectively carries 53 players on the roster now. JT had over 60 freshman in 2012 and over 50 for 2013. This years senior class played on a freshman team in 2010 of less than 40. The 2009 freshman that won District 11-5A had a team of less than 50. JT freshman had 10-12 lineman easily in 2012 but only 5 got playing time. JT's incoming athletes are under prepped not less athletic.

I don't think he meant less athletic, he was trying to say the talent pool is not as deep, because of demographic changes.

Its amazing to me, despite the changes, they are still able to get this many kids out. That says alot about Holmes.

It seems as though you think the middle schools are not preparing the kids. Do you think they should be spending more time with the middle schools? I know back in the 90's Boulter ran JT schemes in football and basketball. I don't know now, but Boulter and Dogan should run JT scheme, especially since we know that both of those schools students will end up at JT.

When it comes to Stewart, you just don't know, because half of their students go to Lee. And Moore and Hogg have good players, but you don't who is coming to JT from those schools, because at least 70% of their kids go to Lee. its kinda of tough with so many feeder schools.

But Boulter and Dogan should be on the same page. (if they are not already)

JT does have a strength coach starting this year. JT also started a powerlifting team last year which should help.

My point exactly! Put that 5' 10" guy at the LB position and teach him to read and you have the D you are looking for.

When I mentioned a strength coach, I mean one that is his primary job. Not just one you pull from here or there and let him do it.

hmm.. maybe. but not all 5'10 195 guys are built the same. Some don't have the speed to be LB, so the D-line or O-line is better for them.

for example T.O. is 6'3 224, Sean Lee is 6'2 234 I wouldn't put TO at Linebacker or Sean Lee at WR

Calvin Johnson (megatron) is 6'5 239. Barkevious Mingo (DE from LSU that was pick #6 for Cleveland) is 6'4 240. Trust me, Mingo could not play WR, and Im sure we all agree that WR is the best position for Megatron.

So you can't always go size of players for certain positions, because speed, agility,strength and other things factor into that equation.

My point exactly! Put that 5' 10" guy at the LB position and teach him to read and you have the D you are looking for.

When I mentioned a strength coach, I mean one that is his primary job. Not just one you pull from here or there and let him do it.

Strength coach is very capable.

I don't think he meant less athletic, he was trying to say the talent pool is not as deep, because of demographic changes.

Its amazing to me, despite the changes, they are still able to get this many kids out. That says alot about Holmes.

It seems as though you think the middle schools are not preparing the kids. Do you think they should be spending more time with the middle schools? I know back in the 90's Boulter ran JT schemes in football and basketball. I don't know now, but Boulter and Dogan should run JT scheme, especially since we know that both of those schools students will end up at JT.

When it comes to Stewart, you just don't know, because half of their students go to Lee. And Moore and Hogg have good players, but you don't who is coming to JT from those schools, because at least 70% of their kids go to Lee. its kinda of tough with so many feeder schools.

But Boulter and Dogan should be on the same page. (if they are not already)

I may have been confused when he made the state "less Top athletes" which prompted me to reply with the "under prepped not less athletic" because if JT has nothing else it has athletes. Now when he continued with the statement "less depth" I equated that to the player pool. I posted the numbers over the past few years in comparison to 20+ years ago just to show JT has never had an extremely large roster even with a larger player pool. I guess by scheme you mean "plays"? I think Boulter and Dogan run something like JT does. I know they get in the shotgun. When I said under prepped I wasn't referring to knowing plays nor was I particularly referring to the middle schools because some of these kids started playing years before middle school. By under prepped I was referring to the kids playing their positions with emotion instead of uncertainty and hesitation. But now that you mentioned it, with and uncertain player there can be confusion at times with the play called and as a result you get incompletions, missed blocks, negative runs, missed tackles, blown coverages, ect.

well it could, but Im just trying to figure out what you think the problem is with the Def., If you think there is one at all.

The problem I see with JT's defense is it starts out allowing too many points and can't make stops when needed the most. The main problem I see is JT's offense can't score 50 points and the team be guaranteed to get the win.

LOL... All your comparison were O players to D players

Of course you don't allow your brain to roll out of your head and start putting your offensive player on D and your D players on O.

But Last year we had a defensive lineman as the backup QB!

lol. Well I know what your saying, but that wasn't my point.

my point was that just because a guy has a certain size, doesn't mean he should be at a certain position. you mention putting the 5'10 195 guy at LB instead of O-line, but O-line may be the better position for the guy. He may not have the intangibles to be a LB.

its not about a Off vs Def. situation. heck that same 5'10 guy may be better at O-line then TE or WR than RB. Or QB vs RB. Im just saying ,that size is not always the best indicator of where a guy can play, just because there are not 5'10 195 O-lineman in college.

this isn't college ball. you don't get to pick an choose your players. In many cases, you have no choice but to go with a 5'10-195 O-lineman.

I may have been confused when he made the state "less Top athletes" which prompted me to reply with the "under prepped not less athletic" because if JT has nothing else it has athletes. Now when he continued with the statement "less depth" I equated that to the player pool. I posted the numbers over the past few years in comparison to 20+ years ago just to show JT has never had an extremely large roster even with a larger player pool. I guess by scheme you mean "plays"? I think Boulter and Dogan run something like JT does. I know they get in the shotgun. When I said under prepped I wasn't referring to knowing plays nor was I particularly referring to the middle schools because some of these kids started playing years before middle school. By under prepped I was referring to the kids playing their positions with emotion instead of uncertainty and hesitation. But now that you mentioned it, with and uncertain player there can be confusion at times with the play called and as a result you get incompletions, missed blocks, negative runs, missed tackles, blown coverages, ect.

great points, but you can't deny that if you have 200-300 less people to choose from, that wouldn't lessen the talent pool.

the fact that JT has been able to keep the same amount of players in the program (and more in some respect) says alot about the Coaches. 5-6 yrs ago, JT barely had a JV. Like 20-25 players. If you told me then, that the black population of JT would drop 200 or more students since then, I would have told you that JT would scrap JV, or there would be freshman on JV.

instead JT was able to field a Fresh A and B team with somewhere around 60 players, a JV with at least 40 players, and another 45-50 on Varsity. That is amazing, because Coach Wilson was only able to produce that amount, and he was winning, and there were 200-300 more blacks at JT. And still keep up the winning is a great thing. Of course, dropping to 4a also helps that cause.

great points, but you can't deny that if you have 200-300 less people to choose from, that wouldn't lessen the talent pool.

the fact that JT has been able to keep the same amount of players in the program (and more in some respect) says alot about the Coaches. 5-6 yrs ago, JT barely had a JV. Like 20-25 players. If you told me then, that the black population of JT would drop 200 or more students since then, I would have told you that JT would scrap JV, or there would be freshman on JV.

instead JT was able to field a Fresh A and B team with somewhere around 60 players, a JV with at least 40 players, and another 45-50 on Varsity. That is amazing, because Coach Wilson was only able to produce that amount, and he was winning, and there were 200-300 more blacks at JT. And still keep up the winning is a great thing. Of course, dropping to 4a also helps that cause.

The pool has only changed in school enrollment not with the number of kids that play football. The football pool is deeper now than its ever been because you have more kids that actually play. JT always had 200-300 less to choose from because the dropout rate was sky high especially among the black males. A pool of 400 or more black males is about average for JT. The year JT barely had a JV it wasn't because of a shrinking pool. In 2005 JT had an entire team of seniors return that just didn't play for two years after their freshman year. The pool was around 400 or so black males then too.