in the market for a new car

BigRedFan

Go somewhere like CarMax and get a certified used car and save thousands of dollars. Let someone else pay the depreciation of the new car and buy a used car a couple of years old. Far more prudent course of action. Once you buy a "new" car and drive it off the lot, it's a used car, in a year or two you will be in the same shape, but with several thousand dollars saved in your pocket.

Go somewhere like CarMax and get a certified used car and save thousands of dollars. Let someone else pay the depreciation of the new car and buy a used car a couple of years old. Far more prudent course of action. Once you buy a "new" car and drive it off the lot, it's a used car, in a year or two you will be in the same shape, but with several thousand dollars saved in your pocket.

No used cars. Been there done that!!

Prius. Just do it. You no you wana

Too small. Try Corolla, Camry, or Rava 4.

• 1 year later...

Last year I bought a 2013 $45000 minivan from CarMax. It had 20000 miles and standard features (DVDs etc) for $21000. CarMax gets the majority of their cars from rental shop trade-ins... So most likely you are going to get good clean, never smoked in, solid car.

Got to agree. I bought a 2011 Hyundai Genesis two years ago for 27k with 21,000 miles on it. Bought from a Hyundai dealership. Rated as a certified trade in. Got the 10/100 warranty transferred over via extended warranty package (included in the deal). Car retailed for about 54k. Still blue books for 17k. I only owe 12k. I would do it all over again.

I will never buy a new car again, they lose so much value as soon as you drive them off the lot. If I were in the market I'd look for a year old car that someone had leased that had low mileage on it.

Still driving my 2005 "lease return" Tundra ... best deal I have ever made on a vehicle ....

Still driving my 2005 "lease return" Tundra ... best deal I have ever made on a vehicle ....

We've saved more money going that route, than purchasing brand new vehicles. I will never purchase a brand new car off the lot again, and the cars we bought were good cars, but we would have saved more than $10,000 for each car we bought brand new vs. being a year old or two years old. With that being said, I'll only buy a car that's more than 6 years old, unless it's as a 3rd car option for work or play.