If A&M wins their last two games

h-town12

Pretty sure Alabama has the same weapons on offense as Texas A&M does....except for the QB position. Alabama's O-Line is just as good as A&M's and they also have some receivers named Amari Cooper and Christian Jones

Neither of those guys are as good as Evans right now

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manziel has completed a number of circus plays. Many of which his receivers have bailed him out. The number that jumps out at me is his 11 interceptions. Sometimes interceptions are not the fault of the quarterback, but in Manziel's case I think most are on him. He could easily have a half dozen more. Petty by constrast has only thrown 1.

Also I think McCarron has had a better year. Not as stylish, but just wins. If Petty is penalized for a loss, then Manziel should be held accountable for his two losses.

I've watched every down of A&M football this year and I'll tell ya that of those 11 ints, 4 I know for sure were touched by a receiver and tipped into a DBs hands. Also two were on routes were the receiver and qb were not on the same page so that's 6 of 11 that were receiver mistakes.

5 ints on the year I'll blame on Johnny. You are correct in saying that Evans bailed him out a few times so the number could be higher, but that's true of lots of qbs. Manziel can sometimes be careless with the football, buts it's because he has so much trust in his receivers. See manziel when targeting someone other than Evans or manziel from the start of last year when he didn't feel comfortable with the receivers. He held the ball too long and tucked and ran when he probably could have squeezed one in.

Peyton manning in his Colts days often threw more ints than he probably should have, but its because he had so much faith in his abilities and trust his receivers to make the play. Sometimes that's a great trait and sometimes it gets you in trouble.

All in all I think Johnny's good outweighs his bad. I mean even with a few more turnovers this season, he has the Ags scoring over 40 and over 500 yards in every game this season. The only qb in football to do so...

I've watched every down of A&M football this year and I'll tell ya that of those 11 ints, 4 I know for sure were touched by a receiver and tipped into a DBs hands. Also two were on routes w(h)ere the receiver and qb were not on the same page so that's 6 of 11 that were receiver mistakes.

Just because the receiver and quarterback were not on the same page does not automatically equate to it being the receiver's fault. It could have been a misunderstanding on Johnny's part, too - - RIGHT?

So, alternatively, JFF could have been responsible for 7 instead of 5 INTs, by your logic.... but nice try.

My response was to him saying McCarron had a talented run game to make him good. Catch up with the convo before calling me out :)

Well then I'll state the same thing and ask you the same question.....

Without McCarron, there is plenty of talent at Alabama for a QB to succeed. Without Cooper or elite offensive lineman, how good would Alabama's offense be?

My response was to him saying McCarron had a talented run game to make him good. Catch up with the convo before calling me out :)

I'd feel pretty confident saying that if Johnny and AJ switched teams, AJ wouldnt even be in anybodys conversation right now, because A&M would probably have 4 losses

Well then I'll state the same thing and ask you the same question.....

Without McCarron, there is plenty of talent at Alabama for a QB to succeed. Without Cooper or elite offensive lineman, how good would Alabama's offense be?

A&M and Bama have had very comparable O-lines the last two seasons. Last year, A&M's was probably better...two, for sure, first round talents.

I'd feel pretty confident saying that if Johnny and AJ switched teams, AJ wouldnt even be in anybodys conversation right now, because A&M would probably have 4 losses

Really? Who would A&M have lost to? It wouldn't have been because McCarron couldn't make the throws or turned the ball over...as was the case in A&M's losses.

Just because the receiver and quarterback were not on the same page does not automatically equate to it being the receiver's fault. It could have been a misunderstanding on Johnny's part, too - - RIGHT?

So, alternatively, JFF could have been responsible for 7 instead of 5 INTs, by your logic.... but nice try.

Nope, it had to be on the WR. Manziel doesn't make bad choices.

A&M and Bama have had very comparable O-lines the last two seasons. Last year, A&M's was probably better...two, for sure, first round talents.

Really? Who would A&M have lost to? It wouldn't have been because McCarron couldn't make the throws or turned the ball over...as was the case in A&M's losses.

Well they certainly would have lost more games. I dont think AJ could have made enough plays to keep them in the game the way Johnny does with his feet. That defense is atrocious and although Johnny has made some bad decisions, he has also saved them on more than one occasion with his ability to extend the play.

This argument is definitely interesting....

It takes me back to the age old question... Which is more important? Stats or wins?

If you base the award on stats, you have to think Petty, Mariota and Manziel would be favored...

If you base the award on wins, you have to think McCarron and Winston would be favored...

Truth of the matter is, only TWO of these guys have done both things this year, Petty and Winston... Petty put up huge numbers against weaker teams, but is undefeated, while Winston has had a couple of huge TV nights (Pittsburgh, Clemson and Miami)....

Unless Winston really drops the ball in the last few weeks, he is winning the Heisman....

Against LSU when it was time to take over the game who's hands was the ball in? Yeldon not McCarron.

They wanted to run the football because they had already stretched the defense and worn them down. Look at the passes AJ did throw in the second half of that game. They were on the $$ to partially covered receivers. There were none wide open, but he still made it work. They kept LSUs D off balance, prevented them from stacking the LOS, and made a statement with their run game. I know the idea of BAMA winning the Heisman AND the NC in the same year just makes you guys sick, but ask yourself this: would FSU and Famous Jamous (sp?) be unbeaten right now had they played A&M and LSU?

They wanted to run the football because they had already stretched the defense and worn them down. Look at the passes AJ did throw in the second half of that game. They were on the $$ to partially covered receivers. There were none wide open, but he still made it work. They kept LSUs D off balance, prevented them from stacking the LOS, and made a statement with their run game. I know the idea of BAMA winning the Heisman AND the NC in the same year just makes you guys sick, but ask yourself this: would FSU and Famous Jamous (sp?) be unbeaten right now had they played A&M and LSU?

Now now, you know when you're up in a big game you want to throw the ball and risk stopping the clock!

A&M might lose games with McCarron at quarterback, but it would be because of the lack of defense the same way as Football so it's a moot point. Typer Woods, I vote you worry about your own posts and I'll type the way I want to, and in the meantime learn about the subject you're discussing a little better as well. That was a funny post, though, as I agree with Mav. It's about as funny as A&M beat Missouri, and they haven't even played yet.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, who do you guys think would go if Petty didn't? I'm assuming Winston, Manziel, McCarron and Petty now, but if not, who would it be? It's going to be an interesting race for sure, and who would've ever thought we would go from first freshman winner to potentially two in back to back seasons?

This argument is definitely interesting....

It takes me back to the age old question... Which is more important? Stats or wins?

If you base the award on stats, you have to think Petty, Mariota and Manziel would be favored...

If you base the award on wins, you have to think McCarron and Winston would be favored...

Truth of the matter is, only TWO of these guys have done both things this year, Petty and Winston... Petty put up huge numbers against weaker teams, but is undefeated, while Winston has had a couple of huge TV nights (Pittsburgh, Clemson and Miami)....

Unless Winston really drops the ball in the last few weeks, he is winning the Heisman....

I am a bit older than the average poster, but in the 50+/- years I have followed the Heisman - it seems a player is knocked out of he Heisman race because a player's team lost one of their last 5 games.

McCarron's problem is simply that he does not have the flash or the sexyness of the Media like Winston, Manziel and now Petty.

Saban should be a bit vocal for him. The man is a two time NC Quarterback.

I think you nailed it.

McCarron's problem is simply that he does not have the flash or the sexyness of the Media like Winston, Manziel and now Petty.

His gf takes care of the sexiness.

After the game Saturday night, on national TV, Saban called him "the best player in the country". How much more vocal do you want? However, I don't think McCarron is all that concerned with the Heisman. After all, how many guys have that trophy? And how many have 3 National Championship RINGS?

He wouldn't be the first guy at Alabama to not care about the Heisman. In the early 70s, Bear Bryant landed a highly recruited running back. The kid showed up on campus declaring himself Bama's first Heisman winner. In a press conference, a reporter asked Bryant if he thought the kid would win the Heisman while playing for him. Bryant replied "My players don't win Heismans. They win CHAMPIONSHIPS!"

He actually has three rings already, just didn't play on the first team. Still got a ring, though.