If A&M wins their last two games

h-town12

Problem for Manziel is he won't have that WOW factor game where he is playing in the national spotlight where he can just go nuts...his was way too long ago and he still lost. Think about the last 2 winners, Griffin and Johnny. Griffin had the OU game and Johnny had the bama game. They had both had a so so game early in the year but the bigtime national spotlight game late overrode it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem for Manziel is he won't have that WOW factor game where he is playing in the national spotlight where he can just go ####...his was way too long ago and he still lost. Think about the last 2 winners, Griffin and Johnny. Griffin had the OU game and Johnny had the bama game. They had both had a so so game early in the year but the bigtime national spotlight game late overrode it.

On the same note, does FSU have a big game against a quality opponent coming up? I know they have Florida, but seriously, if the Gators lose that one, they're not even bowl eligible. I think Petty has the most opportunities for that "wow factor" against a good team. BAMA still has Auburn, and the SEC title game, so there are opportunities for McCarron as well. Of course, you guys have disqualified him because he wins too much.

So a QB has to play in a up-tempo, high risk offense to be considered for the Heisman? As much as Manziel and Mariota have done in their team'swins, look at the losses. Manziel's two picks against BAMA cost them the game. McCarron made perfect throws all day long to keep his team in it. And don't get me started on Mariota. That whole team folded up when Stanford hit them in the mouth, so no one from Oregon deserves to be on the list. Softies need not apply.

McCarron isn't even the best player on his own offense. How can he be the best player in the country?

Exactly. If you're barely doing enough to keep your team from losing I wouldng call you a manager. You're not managing anything. A game manager is someone who is in control and dictates the tempo or the game through his offense. I'd say it's more outstanding to do that to perfection then to just gamble every other play.

You can be a good QB AND win without being a game manager. See Manziel.

And that would be your definition.

However, if you google 'game manager', this is the definition that you would find, this is what is meant by the term 'game manager' (not my definition, but what 10 out of 10 sports commentators mean by it when they use it to label a QB)....

In American football, a game manager is a quarterback who, despite relatively poor individual statistics such as passing yards and touchdowns, manages to perform well enough to win games. Game managers often benefit from strong defense and rushing offense on their teams. The player is expected to not lose games with interceptions, fumbles, or poor decisions, particularly during important situations near the end of a game.

I do agree with you 100% on your last sentence though....Manziel is a great QB and not a 'game manager'.

However, if you google 'game manager', this is the definition that you would find, this is what is meant by the term 'game manager' (not my definition, but what 10 out of 10 sports commentators mean by it when they use it to label a QB)....

In American football, a game manager is a quarterback who, despite relatively poor individual statistics such as passing yards and touchdowns, manages to perform well enough to win games. Game managers often benefit from strong defense and rushing offense on their teams. The player is expected to not lose games with interceptions, fumbles, or poor decisions, particularly during important situations near the end of a game.

I do agree with you 100% on your last sentence though....Manziel is a great QB and not a 'game manager'.

Andy Reid > Wikipedia http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/05/reid-says-calling-alex-smith-a-game-manager-is-a-compliment/

Would a manager in any other line of work be a bad thing? No, they are a leader with a job in keeping everyone else in line and making sure things operate the way they are supposed to.

A game manager is someone who can do just enough to help their team keep winning without producing big time stats like passing yards and TD's.

Hmmmm, Sorry, 97. I don't agree with this at all. A game manager wins. They don't do "just enough" to win. They win because they are running their offense precisely and with tremendous skill and knowledge. They aren't playground QBs who run around waiting for a receiver to escape coverage. A manager knows before hand when a sweep left would be more effective than a QB scramble to the sidelines and hurl the rock blindly back across the field. They also know when and where to throw it and do so accurately with minimal risk of giving it to the defense.

McCarron isn't even the best player on his own offense. How can he be the best player in the country?

I disagree. BAMA has had interchangeable running backs for 5 years, and they've all had similar numbers. The difference is, they are throwing the ball more this year than they ever have under Saban. With the rebuilt O-line, they aren't going to physically dominate the LOS like they did last year. McCarron has opened things up for the running game with an effective pass offense. Without his efficiency, they are a seven win team right now.

I disagree. BAMA has had interchangeable running backs for 5 years, and they've all had similar numbers. The difference is, they are throwing the ball more this year than they ever have under Saban. With the rebuilt O-line, they aren't going to physically dominate the LOS like they did last year. McCarron has opened things up for the running game with an effective pass offense. Without his efficiency, they are a seven win team right now.

Against LSU when it was time to take over the game who's hands was the ball in? Yeldon not McCarron.

Andy Reid > Wikipedia http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/05/reid-says-calling-alex-smith-a-game-manager-is-a-compliment/

Would a manager in any other line of work be a bad thing? No, they are a leader with a job in keeping everyone else in line and making sure things operate the way they are supposed to.

Does a strike mean the same thing in baseball as it does in bowling?

Hmmmm, Sorry, 97. I don't agree with this at all. A game manager wins. They don't do "just enough" to win. They win because they are running their offense precisely and with tremendous skill and knowledge. They aren't playground QBs who run around waiting for a receiver to escape coverage. A manager knows before hand when a sweep left would be more effective than a QB scramble to the sidelines and hurl the rock blindly back across the field. They also know when and where to throw it and do so accurately with minimal risk of giving it to the defense.

Again, look up the meaning that is meant by the term when used by any and every commentator when watching a game. There is a reason you have never heard a commentator refer to Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady as a game manager. There IS a reason why you've heard them call QB's like Alex Smith and Ben Roethlisberger game managers.

But I am pretty sure that I said winning is a requirement.

On the same note, does FSU have a big game against a quality opponent coming up? I know they have Florida, but seriously, if the Gators lose that one, they're not even bowl eligible. I think Petty has the most opportunities for that "wow factor" against a good team. BAMA still has Auburn, and the SEC title game, so there are opportunities for McCarron as well. Of course, you guys have disqualified him because he wins too much.

I agree as well. Petty has 2 potentially WOW games with OK State and Texas. Those will both be big TV draws.

Again, look up the meaning that is meant by the term when used by any and every commentator when watching a game. There is a reason you have never heard a commentator refer to Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady as a game manager. There IS a reason why you've heard them call QB's like Alex Smith and Ben Roethlisberger game managers.

I don't use those talking heads as a valued source of information lol

For the third time, I think George Whitfield is more than qualified to define this for everyone.

Not exactly. You said they only do "just enough" to win. That just simply not true.

BTW.....not everyone of ANY walk of life agrees on everything. You say every single commentator means the exact same thing when speaking of a game manager. That's certainly not true. They couldn't even all agree that the sky is blue.

Not exactly. You said they only do "just enough" to win. That just simply not true.

BTW.....not everyone of ANY walk of life agrees on everything. You say every single commentator means the exact same thing when speaking of a game manager. That's certainly not true. They couldn't even all agree that the sky is blue.

LOL, touche'

My only point is, when you watch a football game and the commentators start talking about the QB for one of the teams as a game manager, you typically know why they're calling him that. And it's not because he's throwing for 400+ yards and 5 TD's, lol.

You do realize this argument started because of AJ McCarron that rates in the top 20 of just about every major passing stat except yards.

The guy is 20th in Passing TDs, 8th in Passer rating, has 3 INTs on the year, and 8th in completion percentage... IN THE NATION.

So by your definition, McCarron doesnt fit the game manager role. Since none of his stats are really mediocre...

You do realize this argument started because of AJ McCarron that rates in the top 20 of just about every major passing stat except yards.

The guy is 20th in Passing TDs, 8th in Passer rating, has 3 INTs on the year, and 8th in completion percentage... IN THE NATION.

So by your definition, McCarron doesnt fit the game manager role. Since none of his stats are really mediocre...

I never called McCarron a game manager so I'm not really sure how this is being used against the definition I gave, lol?

LOL, touche'

My only point is, when you watch a football game and the commentators start talking about the QB for one of the teams as a game manager, you typically know why they're calling him that. And it's not because he's throwing for 400+ yards and 5 TD's, lol.

I can admit to that...but I will go a little further and say that when they speak of it in that way, they are not being honest. The team won and they need something "nice" to say about the QB's performance. So "game management" becomes the go-to.

Much like baseball. When a veteran pitcher loses velocity and gives up 10 hits and loses the game, he was "pounded for 10 hits and his over-ther-hill arm just wasn't there". However, if his team wins it suddenly becomes "he was a wily veteran who scattered 10 hits for the well deserved win". In both cases the pitcher may have given up 5 runs, but the commentators just have to spin it based on the results.

He also doesn't fit the "Heisman Trophy Winner" role.

"People talk about statistics all the time, and maybe his statistics are not what somebody else's are. But really what you should equate things with are production, performance, efficiency, consistency and winning. That's really what it's all about. He's done that better than I think anybody in college football."

Well managing doesnt have to be a negative thing. I don't mean it in that way.

Why isn't Manning a manager? Because he makes difficult throws when asked to? I'd said manning is the best game manager in football. It isn't a bad thing. It's a great thing.

Instead of telling me you have a different definition, tell me what McCarron does wrong. Why is Manziel outstanding for taking risks and sometimes coming up big and other times causing his team points but McCarron gets no respect for doing nothing but perfecting his job and winning games.

Fact is, McCarron makes plays to win games and give his players the best chance to make plays. That is the job of a QB and he's outstanding at it.

Also, without Manziel, there is plenty talent at A&M for a QB to succeed. Without Evans or elite offensive linemen, how good would A&Ms offense be?

Pretty sure Alabama has the same weapons on offense as Texas A&M does....except for the QB position. Alabama's O-Line is just as good as A&M's and they also have some receivers named Amari Cooper and Christian Jones

Pretty sure Alabama has the same weapons on offense as Texas A&M does....except for the QB position. Alabama's O-Line is just as good as A&M's and they also have some receivers named Amari Cooper and Christian Jones

My response was to him saying McCarron had a talented run game to make him good. Catch up with the convo before calling me out :)

Let's clear this up a bit shall we? I get Winston, and his big game against Clemson puts him at the top of the list, but what I can't begin to understand is how Bryce Petty is put on top of a pedestal with video game numbers against the sisters of the poor. He didn't have so great of an outing against Oklahoma, the only team the Bears have played to this point. McCarron could do the same thing against the same schedule and you can't compare his numbers when Alabama is a run first offense, but take this one thing into consideration. If you took AJ McCarron away from Alabama right now, does the Crimson Tide win? The answer is no, and I also get a kick out of you saying how much better Johnny Manziel is right now and sweep his 11 interceptions (most of his own doing) under the rug. A&M hasn't beaten Missouri yet the last time I checked either. Game manager this, game manager that, McCarron was the MVP of the 2012 National Championship game, not a running back. When it's time for him to come through in the clutch, he's come through. If Nick Saban allowed him to post bigger numbers, he'd no doubt do so, but it's not Alabama's fault they produce consistent running backs year in and year out and have a "balanced" offense. Last time I checked, it's been successful, and McCarron has aided in this. Don't forget LSU was six points (I believe) away from being undefeated before getting exposed in the second half last week, so they are a good football team. Typer Woods, guess we're glad you don't have a vote sir.

Let's clear this up a bit shall we? I get Winston, and his big game against Clemson puts him at the top of the list, but what I can't begin to understand is how Bryce Petty is put on top of a pedestal with video game numbers against the sisters of the poor. He didn't have so great of an outing against Oklahoma, the only team the Bears have played to this point. McCarron could do the same thing against the same schedule and you can't compare his numbers when Alabama is a run first offense, but take this one thing into consideration. If you took AJ McCarron away from Alabama right now, does the Crimson Tide win? The answer is no, and I also get a kick out of you saying how much better Johnny Manziel is right now and sweep his 11 interceptions (most of his own doing) under the rug. A&M hasn't beaten Missouri yet the last time I checked either. Game manager this, game manager that, McCarron was the MVP of the 2012 National Championship game, not a running back. When it's time for him to come through in the clutch, he's come through. If Nick Saban allowed him to post bigger numbers, he'd no doubt do so, but it's not Alabama's fault they produce consistent running backs year in and year out and have a "balanced" offense. Last time I checked, it's been successful, and McCarron has aided in this. Don't forget LSU was six points (I believe) away from being undefeated before getting exposed in the second half last week, so they are a good football team. Typer Woods, guess we're glad you don't have a vote sir.

Bryce Petty won't be going to NY unless Baylor is playing for a NC. Period.

Does anyone here have a vote?

How about this..I vote you start using paragraphs and spacing.