Frost vs. Overton (1A D-II Bi-District Playoff)

Mr. P

Frost (5-5) vs. Overton (4-6)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the "We get to lose to Tenaha" Bowl?

• Frost Polar Bears
    • Overton Mustangs

The only question I have about this game is if the real Overton Mustangs will show up. This has been a bipolar season, but the guys showed a lot more heart in the second half than they did the first half. I don't know…

My central Texas sources tell me that the key to beating Frost is stopping their inside running game — but that's no easy task. The stats say the Polar Bears don't really throw the ball much. People I know who've seen both teams give Overton a touchdown edge.

Our guys have been off since, like, October. Either they're well-rested and ready to play, or a lull has set in. I really don't know, you never can tell with teenagers sometimes. I'm hopeful of the former and nervous about the latter.

I say it starts off a grinding tête-à-tête, with both teams eating up clock, but then big senior RB Jamal Kelly breaks the game open with a couple big runs after halftime. The Mustang defense is able to hold off the Frost, then the offense runs out the clock.

Overton: 30
Frost: 22

It will not be a cake walk...Frost has averaged 25.7 ppg while give up an average of 24.4 ppg. Overton has averaged 17.1 ppg while surrendering 38.5 ppg.

In non-district play Frost's opponents had a 38.3 winning percentage while Overton's had a 66.0 winning percentage. Frost played one non-district team that made the playoffs, 2A DII Alba Golden (4-6 record) and won that game 20-6. Overton played two playoff bound teams, 1A DI Colmesneil (9-1) and 1A DI Carlisle (8-2), both which they lost. In non-district play Frost averaged 24.5 ppg while allowing 26.8. Overton only averaged 9.2 ppg and allowing an average of 44.2 ppg.

In district play Frost averaged 24.0 ppg and allowed 24.2 ppg. Overton averaged scoring 30.3 ppg and allowed 28.3.

This will be a very tight game and it may come down to who makes the fewest turnovers and special teams.

My pick, Overton 35 Frost 30...

Frost lost a few playmakers from the team that came within a yard of beating Tenaha last year, but have all their lineman back and a couple playmakers. Overton defense must be disciplined and stick to their assignments as the Frost slot T thing can be deadly if you have players that do their own thing. Frost defense is not near as good as last year. When we played them (Hubbard Jaguars) this year I was surprised at how BIG they were. Hubbard just has their number...and they fooled around and lost to Meridian in a hard fought game. I expect the Polar Bears to show up big time as they have the opportunity to be the first Frost team to win a playoff game in consecutive years for the first time in school history.

Frost 28 Overton 21

Frost wins it 42-27

Congratulations to a fine group of young men that I have had the pleasure watching our boys compete against over the years accomplish back to back playoff wins to make history! Frost began their football program in 1911. District 9 teams continue to show that we are no easy district.

Link to the Corsicana Sun's article as Mike Phillips writes another one for the ages in the Golden Circle:

http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports/x338555537/GC-Football-Frost-makes-history-with-42-27-win

Yep.....that Frost running game is difficult to stop because every defensive player has to cover their assignment and not free flow to the ball. Very popular offense around here (Valley Mills, Meridian, Wortham, Frost & Dawson), but not throughout the state. Hubbard defends it well nowadays....but not in the past. I think it gave Tenaha trouble last year and may this year as well. Tenaha's "ZOOM & BOOM" tandem will be without the ZOOM in the playoffs as I understand. A shame too....because that Carraway kid can flat out run.

Frost wins it 42-27

Congratulations to a fine group of young men that I have had the pleasure watching our boys compete against over the years accomplish back to back playoff wins to make history! Frost began their football program in 1911. District 9 teams continue to show that we are no easy district.

Link to the Corsicana Sun's article as Mike Phillips writes another one for the ages in the Golden Circle:

http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports/x338555537/GC-Football-Frost-makes-history-with-42-27-win

"...after a scramble for the ball on an onside kick that Frost won..." yeah, out of the pile comes a Mustang player with the ball, so how did that happen, lol?