How many total teams make the 2013 Texas High School Football Playoffs you ask?

DKBearFan

Carl Padilla (@padillapoll)

11/11/13, 6:40 PM

A record 608 teams made the UIL playoffs in 2013! 598 games all at 15% of the gate to the coffers of the UIL!!! #txhsfb

I saw that.

Not the best playoff system but most certainly not the worst.

Far from it

They need to scale this 4 team playoff gig back to 3, make it a 96 team bracket, 32 district champs get a bye, 7 rounds total and 1 overall champion. They can start the season a week earlier to compensate.

There is a team that made the playoffs going 1-9 because they were the 4th place team in a district with 5 members.

They need to scale this 4 team playoff gig back to 3, make it a 96 team bracket, 32 district champs get a bye, 7 rounds total and 1 overall champion.

No thank you. Have absolutely no desire to have a bye for a reward. Much rather have home field choice.

They need to scale this 4 team playoff gig back to 3, make it a 96 team bracket, 32 district champs get a bye, 7 rounds total and 1 overall champion. They can start the season a week earlier to compensate.

There is a team that made the playoffs going 1-9 because they were the 4th place team in a district with 5 members.

And the only reason that happened is because the superintendents voted to put the four teams into effect before realignment takes place in February. Next season there won't be any five-team districts.

And the only reason that happened is because the superintendents voted to put the four teams into effect before realignment takes place in February. Next season there won't be any five-team districts.

They had five team districts since the inauguration of the 4 team playoff system in 5A.

I guess the best system is 5 classification, 4 50 team districts, then we play a round robin tournament at the end to determine the Classification champ. Then since there is no true champ with 5 classifications, they play a 2nd round robin tournament to determine the ultimate state champ. By the time all of these games are completed, we can call it the Texas High School World Cup of Real Man Football.

They had five team districts since the inauguration of the 4 team playoff system in 5A.

There is not a single five-team district in 5A or 4A. There is just one in 2A, in the Panhandle, because of location of teams doesn't work.

There are so many five-team districts in 3A because when they did realignment, the four playoff teams in 3A wasn't a consideration. It was change for this season after last season had already happened. That's why 3A looks bad. They will fill in those districts this time.

There will be a true champion for every classification once 5A and 6A get Division I and II. We'll just have 12 classes in everything but name.

It waters down the meaning of "Champion" for sure, but with 1500+ high schools in Texas, 12 is still less than 1% of the schools in Texas being a champion each year. And everyone has to earn their spot by winning, not someone picking "the best team" or some random computer determining their football schedule RPI and whatnot...

What I am getting at is that any system that ends in a tournament in which every team in the state had to win to get in it is better than let's say, college football, right now...

Every other sport has 1 state champion. So should football.

I am all for either taking a game away or adding 1 week to the season but in every classification the D1 Champion should face the D2 Champion for the overall State Championship.

Thats an extra round of playoffs and money for the UIL. What a Great week of football that would be.

It waters down the meaning of "Champion" for sure, but with 1500+ high schools in Texas, 12 is still less than 1% of the schools in Texas being a champion each year. And everyone has to earn their spot by winning, not someone picking "the best team" or some random computer determining their football schedule RPI and whatnot...

What I am getting at is that any system that ends in a tournament in which every team in the state had to win to get in it is better than let's say, college football, right now...

I don't personally mind 12 State champions. The size of our state definitely says we should have that many. I'd be willing to bet we have the most high schools out of every other state in the country (if not first, at least top 3). It's not like one of our classes is like say the size of Arkansas's Class 6A where there's less than 30 teams in it.

I rather have 12 state champions than not have one at all, like other states do. I rather have as many playoff teams as we do, than have a BCS type committee select our teams, like other states do.

I would LOVE to see someone out there point to a state that has a better playoff system as we do. Do we want bowl games? Do we have sectional championships? Do we want committees to selecting our teams?

Every year people want to nitpick at our playoff system for no reason other than they're butt hurt for some reason over 4 teams going. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

+1 Lobo

We get it.... they only took the district champions in 1966. But how many schools were in Texas back then? I bet it's a lot less than the 1300+ we have now.

And how many times did we see 9-1 teams sit at home? That's some great football that sat at home.

Some of these 2nd and 3rd place teams have been a part of some of the most memorable playoff games on record.

We get it.... it's watered down. But only for a week. Two weeks tops if two cupcakes were lucky enough to meet in the first round.

Some of us just like to go see an exciting game. Triple headers in Dallas with 6 teams you have no ties to. It's been some of the best games I've ever seen. And some of those games included 3rd/4th place teams.

It's like complaing there is too much dessert after dinner..... or too much steak..... or too much perfect weather. Too much football????? That's doesn't compute for me.

It only takes 1 week for the brackets to be eliminated down to the "coveted" 32 teams that everyone thinks is ideal. By the end of 2 weeks you only have 32 in the whole class left (16 in each division). Just 2 short weeks. And I promise you, there was some fantastic football sandwhiched in with all those blowouts.

It's not perfect. But it's better than having a committee do it like Louisiana. It's better than sectional championships in Cali.

Sit back and enjoy...... that's what's it really for IMHO. Supply and demand. If UIL wants to make some coins in the process....then so be it. Play on.

Diboll did. There should not be a 1-9 team in High School playoffs.

Every other sport has 1 state champion. So should football.

I am all for either taking a game away or adding 1 week to the season but in every classification the D1 Champion should face the D2 Champion for the overall State Championship.

Thats an extra round of playoffs and money for the UIL. What a Great week of football that would be.

The whole purpose of having the two divisions is so the Div II small schools that are half the size of the large school Div I schools could fairly compete for a championship. I think it's probably the best thing the UIL has done in decades. I guess if you were a Div I school with double the enrollment of the Div II champion it would be alright with you, probably not the other way around. There could be a few exceptions like in 2003 when Garrison won the 2A Div II championship and beat the eventual Div I 2A champion San Augustine since they were in the same district. Of course, that was before they had the divisions at realignment before the season.