Rangers get fielder for kinsler

thegreatbambino

Pretty darn good trade. I'm happy with it.

I just hope we as fans can enjoy it for the next several years and especially next season. I just hope that Fielder doesn't go through a "slump" like Pujols & Hamilton did for the Angels. I realize the difference is a big money free agent contract, and already having the big money and getting traded.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why Nolan left. The owners wanted to spend some $$$ and get some big names here. It appears that the Rangers are trying to say, "We have the cash, bring your bat and come play ball."

I don't love Fielder, but I like him. If Cruz comes back, the middle of the line-up is insane. If he doesn't its still just fine. I feel like we need to find a way to make our pitching match Oakland's... I am not confident that it does or it will.

I think our pitching is fine. We need to keep Cruz

Its already a nasty line up to have to face if you are a pitcher. Now imagine it with Cruz...its freaking scary and keeping Cruz does not cost you a draft pick. Maybe not the smartest defensive decision but the best for the organization.

Since McCann signed with the Yankees I think that puts more pressure on bringing back Cruz. DH Cruz and bring in a leadoff hitter for LF.

We have a lead off in Craig Gentry. Im not sure what else this guy has to do to prove himself. He deserves a chance and cost you almost nothing

As soon as Gentry gets significant playing time he will be exposed. He is a #4 OF, no more. See David Murphy. Many of you guys had issues with Kinsler at leadoff, his OBP and Gentry almost the same with Gentry WAY behind in at bats, and almost no pop in his bat. He also strikes out at a much higher rate than Kinsler. Elvis has almost the same OBP in many more at bats. If he is a front line player he will be exposed. I know thats my opinion, but look at the stretches where he played for long periods of time and his batting avergae and OBP. He ended May at .233 with a .317 OBP after playing almost the whole month. He did not heat up till september.

As for a wash between Cruz and Fielder you must be joking, their stats are no where close, Prince is MUCH better in almost every department.

With all due respect you have no idea how well Gentry will do if he gets the at bats he deserves. But he has earned that chance with his play thus far.

Based upon the facts of what he has done I think it is a pretty fair idea. He was 12 for 47 in May, .255 avg, playing almost everyday. This after April in which he batted .209, again playing almost everyday. He finished August at .254 and was at .259 midway thru Sept. His last 15 games made his season look better, .280 avg, but then again he showed up right time. I like him, but he is not everyday and not close to leadoff. I am going off what I see. When he plays on a regular basis his stats dont show him to be a front line player. Great year in 2012, but when you look at the spells he played on a consistant basis his BA dropped every time. Plus an OF of Rios, Martin, Gentry is pretty light. You sign Choo it imporves dramatically, plus gives Gentry chance to fill in for all three spots get 300 AB. Then we will know a lot more.

I have no problem with them signing Choo as I stated several times. Its the loss of a draft pick that gets me.

Gentry hasn't ever gotten a chance to play everyday for a whole season. And breaking down his performance in little segments is retarded. All players have hot and cold streaks. I say let's see what Gentry can do for an entire season before writing him off as a bench player. If we resign Cruz, there will be PLENTY if pop in the Ranger's lineup. We need guys that get on base consistently and score runs. Plus Gentry is an above average defensive player.

You got a better way to break it down? I mean since mine is retarded please tell me a better way? Hey now weren't you one of the guys asking why Murphy was still in the lineup? I mean since there are hot and cold streaks when do you stop playing them? I think it would be great if he came in and hit 300 but the numbers don't say it, they say the longer the stretch he plays the less effective he is.

Yes I do. Use a complete season....which Gentry has never had. My argument to yours is that Gentry started hitting better late in the season was because he was getting more consistent playing time. He got better as the season went along.....like some teams (not named the Rangers) do.

Or you could say he was facing teams out if contention using September call ups. For such a huge fan you seem to be critical of everything about the rangers. So other teams now play their players better than the rangers? Let me see why don't you look at the number of young guys who got tons of time. Your argument loses it's validity when you make comments like that. And yes you were one of the ones questioning Murphy playing . Were you on the gentry bandwagon when he was hitting 210? I also believe you were calling for kirkmans head, then you post about hot and cold streaks. Got to stay consistent on your views, but in the end i would hope but nothing for the best from gentry, love his style.

No, I never posted about Kirkman, and very little about Murphy. But since you want to bring him into this discussion about Gentry(???), yes i think he needed to go. I am not a Murphy hater, but he was not helping this team and he had alot of playing time. I'm glad he found a team to pay him that kind of money....not sure he deserves it but hey good for him. Never said one word about Kirkman so try and quote me :) Maybe you need to get your facts straight.

You are the one criticizing Gentry, so what's your point. Questioning my fan hood makes you sound stupid......surely not a stretch for you. Try harder :)

I did my facts on Gentry, researched. You have...well nothing. I do not feel he is a front line player due to the facts I have. I love the way he plays, and if he gets the chance I hope he does great, but again the facts do not suggest that. Maybe he is a late bloomer.

As for trying to quote you it is not worth it, you are the type person who never admits when they are wrong so not wasting my time. I actually should have known better than to say anything back to you.

You can't quote me bro. I have never said anything about Kirkman, so once again you are talking out of your rear

Straw if the do not sign Choo, who becomes the 4th OF, Beltre? I think he is out of options for this coming year. Then have Moreland fill in some. I think they have to sign one, but looking at the market you have either the ones wanting big contracts or not much out there.

My feeling is for the long run the best option is to resign Cruz since it doesn't cost you a draft pick but that was before Peralta got that ridiculous contract from the Cards even after his 50 game ban. I thought we could sign Cruz for a good price now Im not so sure. Obviously Choo with his obp is the best fit for the Rangers at leadoff. I dont think Beltre is an upgrade over Gentry.

I dont see Beltre as an upgrade either, but might be able to use him as a piece in a trade. I think cruz will get paid high, and then the teams will get to deal with his hamstring issues. It is why I prefer Choo. But would rather give him 5 years than 7. I believe Cruz will get at least 3 years at 14-15, and I really dont feel he is worth it. He just happens to hit the market at a good time.

Its funny though that we haven't heard any rumblings about interest in Cruz. I'm more worried about Choo's agent than Cruz's hamstring...lol

Rangers sign Colby Lewis to a minor league deal. Makes the majors $2m, with incentives could be $4m.

Rays are interested in Mitch Moreland.

Gentry's speed makes him a weapon. An everyday weapon IDK. I swore up and down that Murphy was an everyday OF and that bit me.

Opening day lineup I would like to see. Darvish on the mound :)

1 Gentry LF

2 Andrus SS

3 Beltre 3B

4 Fielder 1B

5 Cruz DH

6 Rios RF

7 Martin CF

8 Profar 2B

9 Soto C

I don't have much issue with that except that I like Gentry in Center and Martin in left. It may just be because he's young, but Martin made some decisions in the field that made me face-palm at times.

Martin is better in center than he is in left. Gentry is comfortable either place, so I would put him in left. And I agree with the other posters--Gentry deserves the chance to be the 3rd outfielder, if it does not pan out, punt!

Yeah...you have a point about Martin.