Quarterfinals. Leonard 28 Cooper 20....Final

Bulldognation1

I've been saying the same thing!! You have to work in it even when you don't need it!! How much better would coopers running game have been if teams had to defend the pass!! Good luck Leonard! Y'all have GOOD coaches!!

Knew your second guessing would come out as soon as the team finally lost. Fact is, Cooper just didn't execute & Leonard did. Leonard didn't make the untimely penalties, fumble the ball away when they absolutely couldn't afford it. Cooper absolutely could've won this game by just doing what they do & that's running the football. You don't go 13-1 by having bad coaches.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was another great game at Royse City ISD Stadium. A lot of ifs, ands and buts when analyzing the ultimate result. Cooper has a great team,so does Leonard. I think that is what was forgotten. Leonard does not want PR, they are satisfied with being anonymous. This has secretly been a very good season for the Tigers. They have beaten some great teams in Farmersville, S&S and Edgewood. The victory over Cooper however has exposed their talent. I think Leonard's coaches did an outstanding job preparing for the Bulldogs. I also think Cooper played as hard as I have seen them play and this was their third trip to RCISD Stadium. Another thing about Leonard is they are extremely young. They started several sophomores tonight and they have been playing those sophomores all season long. They are now 11-3 and going into week 15, they are going to be highly rated for the next two years. These are the best football teams to ever play for Cooper and Leonard. It was a matter of time before they would butt heads and nobody thought it would be the type of game it turned out to be. Cooper and Leonard both made big mistakes in this game and the penalties and turnovers hurt each one equally. An upset? No, Cooper just got beat by the better team tonight. That does not necessarily make one the better team for the season. I am thoroughly convinced that both teams are about as equal as they can be overall.

I really like Cooper's QB Leatherwood, he is about as cool a QB can be. Robinson is one of the best RB and so is Mims. Cooper's O line is good...period. Cooper's defense only allowed 127 points all year, they are great. Leonards QB Bennett is a pure athlete, Solomon Titus may be one of the premier tailbacks in the state. Leonard's O line is also awesome. Leonard's defense was lead by Dylan Pelton tonight, he is a mountain of a man.

Cooper's fans should be very proud of the best season they have ever had at 13-1. They could have gone all the way. Leonard's fans should also be proud and they are, Don't be surprised if Leonard takes it all.

Great game, great atmosphere tonight, great coaching and two great teams. Just glad Royse City had the honor to be a personal witness to these two teams, we hope they come back next year. Go Tigers! Go Bulldogs!

I'll take my crow with some ketchup please. Not a homer of either team, just someone who has played with and against some on both teams. Great season for Cooper and good luck to Leonard. Regardless of the outcome of next week and even tonight, no one can dispute the fact that both have had great seasons. Many (including myself) never even get to experience the playoffs and these kids have gotten to experience it to this extent. Proud of both teams and I hope Leonard continues to "upset" the field. Although I feel like they are no longer going to be overlooked, maybe they will. Again, great season Cooper and good luck Lenoard.

I played against both programs growing up and have respect for both. Both had great years and have a lot to be proud of.

I did too. I was going to root for the winner of this game to win state. I thought it would be Cooper but was wrong. Here's hoping Leonard can bring back a state title. Congratulations to Leonard on the win and to Cooper on an excellent season.

Knew your second guessing would come out as soon as the team finally lost. Fact is, Cooper just didn't execute & Leonard did. Leonard didn't make the untimely penalties, fumble the ball away when they absolutely couldn't afford it. Cooper absolutely could've won this game by just doing what they do & that's running the football. You don't go 13-1 by having bad coaches.

If you knew me you would know I've said the same thing all year in private! Not on the forums!! True if they did what they have done all year they would have won! But they didn't!! No matter how good you are you can't keep running against 10 and in last nights case 11 in the box and expect it to work at this point and time in the playoffs! You have to be ready to go to plan b and c!! By not working on it more when we could it finally bit us in the butt!! Everybody that knows football on these forums said the same thing! Go back and look!! Those boys are great and deserved a better fate!! No I did my job and cheered these boys on just like you said last year and kept my true feelings off the forums this year and now that it's over you say I'm second guessing!! Not true! I just kept it off the forums!!

If you knew me you would know I've said the same thing all year in private! Not on the forums!! True if they did what they have done all year they would have won! But they didn't!! No matter how good you are you can't keep running against 10 and in last nights case 11 in the box and expect it to work at this point and time in the playoffs! You have to be ready to go to plan b and c!! By not working on it more when we could it finally bit us in the butt!! Everybody that knows football on these forums said the same thing! Go back and look!! Those boys are great and deserved a better fate!! No I did my job and cheered these boys on just like you said last year and kept my true feelings off the forums this year and now that it's over you say I'm second guessing!! Not true! I just kept it off the forums!!

Finally someone is talking sense from Cooper. Don't worry ..bulldogfan, ..nation1 is Cooper's version of BigRedFan. You are absolutely right in Cooper should have worked on some kind of passing game throughout the year, even the last several years. Cooper's game is to run the ball and that is fine, but what do you do when someone stops the run? Give up? On these forums you read Cooper fans say that they don't pass because they didn't have to, but could if they needed too. Well it was obvious last night that they COULDN'T when they needed too. Instead of bowing your chest out and boasting on having "your starters sitting in the second half" Cooper should have worked on things they weren't good at. Also, GET A KICKER.

Easy to second guess. This is the best team (went deepest in playoffs) in Cooper history. They were 13-0 and had a heck of a season.

Congratulations to the Bulldogs and the Coaching staff. These Coaches have done an unbelievable job turning this program around. Give them their due.

2007 2-8-0 Ronnie Green

2008 2-8-0 Ronnie Green

2009 5-5-0 Ronnie Green

2010 3-7-0 Ronnie Green

2011 6-6-0 Ronnie Green

2012 6-6-0 Ronnie Green

2013 13-1-0 Ronnie Green

You say "turn it around" as if Green hasn't been there very long. This is his only winning season in 7 with an overall record of 37-41.

I did too. I was going to root for the winner of this game to win state. I thought it would be Cooper but was wrong. Here's hoping Leonard can bring back a state title. Congratulations to Leonard on the win and to Cooper on an excellent season.

As am I. Would love to see some kids that I played against just a few years ago be able to win a state championship. I had some friends at Melissa have the privilege to do it as well while we were still in school. If you can't win one yourself, its pretty cool for some of your friends to be able to do it.

2007 2-8-0 Ronnie Green

2008 2-8-0 Ronnie Green

2009 5-5-0 Ronnie Green

2010 3-7-0 Ronnie Green

2011 6-6-0 Ronnie Green

2012 6-6-0 Ronnie Green

2013 13-1-0 Ronnie Green

You say "turn it around" as if Green hasn't been there very long. This is his only winning season in 7 with an overall record of 37-41.

Smoaky's historical section is wrong in this case ... Cooper went 9-3 in 2010.

Very true Cisco has a solid program and the kids are tough, as a fellow from Eastland once told me some of those kids from Cisco have been running through cactus barefooted since they were wearing diapers. Cisco also used to b a little bit of recruiting ground for Permian in their hayday, so i also believe Leonard will b challenged to make it past them

As am I. Would love to see some kids that I played against just a few years ago be able to win a state championship. I had some friends at Melissa have the privilege to do it as well while we were still in school. If you can't win one yourself, its pretty cool for some of your friends to be able to do it.

I played against them when Honey Grove, Leonard, and Cooper were in the same district. Early to mid 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the kids on the current teams are the kids of the guys I played against. It would be nice if a team from the area won state. This makes me wonder when the last time someone from our area made it this deep in the playoffs? Anyone recall? Last time I remember was when Paris won state.

I played against them when Honey Grove, Leonard, and Cooper were in the same district. Early to mid 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the kids on the current teams are the kids of the guys I played against. It would be nice if a team from the area won state. This makes me wonder when the last time someone from our area made it this deep in the playoffs? Anyone recall? Last time I remember was when Paris won state.

Detroit missed an undefeated state championship season by a hair's breadth in '99. Made the state semis that year. Lost in overtime 13-7 to Bartlett who went on to win the title game the next week in a blowout.

Detroit missed an undefeated state championship season by a hair's breadth in '99. Made the state semis that year. Lost in overtime 13-7 to Bartlett who went on to win the title game the next week in a blowout.

Flukeshot,

Was it Detroit or Celeste? I remember now Celeste making a run in the playoffs. I think they beat 3 or 4 teams ranked in the top ten during their playoff run. I can't say I remember Detroit. It doesn't matter, I hope this year marks the beginning of new football powers in 2A. I just wish Honey Grove would do the same in 1A.

Celeste went really deep, SC game in 2001 when Steve Sumrow was the hc, he is at Caddo Mills now. Celeste hasn't done much that I recall since the Rector boys graduated.

You can see all the playoff scores from that year here: http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-news/view/5227

Detroit actually spanked Celeste in the state quarters.

Yeh, in 99 they did. In 2001 Celeste lost in the finals to Burkeville...http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-news/view/5237. They played some quality opponents all the way through the playoffs that year.

Since 68 DF has played a wide variety of West Texas teams. They almost always are well coached and discilplined, but they will also have 1 or 2 match up problems with good ET teams. If you cannot exploit these match ups it will be a long nite. They have to be taken out of their game early and play catch up in a style they are uncomfortable in.

My family is from Bailey and I would never have thought to see Leonard in this position. Good luck .

Since 68 DF has played a wide variety of West Texas teams. They almost always are well coached and discilplined, but they will also have 1 or 2 match up problems with good ET teams. If you cannot exploit these match ups it will be a long nite. They have to be taken out of their game early and play catch up in a style they are uncomfortable in.

My family is from Bailey and I would never have thought to see Leonard in this position. Good luck .

I cannot think of one match up problem Cisco will have with Leonard. And taking them out of their game early I think is a pipe dream....honestly.