Quarterfinals. Leonard 28 Cooper 20....Final

Bulldognation1

The Leonard running back is not real big but Cooper could not bring him down on first contact, he had a lot of YAC. Kid played alot of passion and determination. Not sure how that translates to this game but the kid sounded special. I don't see a match up issue necessarily but maybe he will be enough to keep the Leonard offense balanced. I think that will really be key for them. Their coaches seem to be very good scheming and scouting. Anyone know how good the Cooper defense was all year and heading into the game with Leonard?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see all the playoff scores from that year here: http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-news/view/5227

Detroit actually spanked Celeste in the state quarters.

Thank you, Flukeshot. Okay, now for the stupid question. How were you able to find that data? After clicking the link, I was trying to find results for other years but didn't see how to do it.

I scrimmaged against HG in 84 and 85, they were pretty tough, Cooper was always really good in that district. Really surprised that HG hasn't done extremely well in 1a since dropping. They have been 1a for a few years now right?

Yes. I don't remember what year they dropped to 1A but I'd say it's been around five years. HG started to field some competitive teams a few years after I graduated. Cooper was the team to beat through my junior year. Then Grand Saline and Quitman dropped down from 3A my senior year. It made both schools top 10 2A. If I may ask, where did you go to high school?

I scrimmaged against HG in 84 and 85, they were pretty tough, Cooper was always really good in that district. Really surprised that HG hasn't done extremely well in 1a since dropping. They have been 1a for a few years now right?

HG was doing pretty well for a few years straight, this last year though, not sure what really happened. "Talent pool" down?

I hate comparing wins/losses to talent pool, simply because of all the factors that go into high school sports, all sports for that matter. Between injuries, grades, district, preseason schedules, and simply them being 14-18 year old kids. From the talent some teams have they "should be winning state" and others that are overachieving.

Thank you, Flukeshot. Okay, now for the stupid question. How were you able to find that data? After clicking the link, I was trying to find results for other years but didn't see how to do it.

On that page in the upper right corner is a search box. You can type in "all-time playoff scores 1985" or whatever year you want and that should bring up what you're looking for. I'm not seeing an easier way to do it.

Thank you, Flukeshot. Far easier than the method I was thinking of. I noticed your links were in the 'News' section and there were over 280 pages in that section. Using the search box far, far easier and faster than going through all 280+ pages of the news section! Took a quick skim through some of the years. It was depressing to see how many first round losses HG had.