Look What's Roaming Around Titus County

BlueBlazes

IMG_9131.jpg

Taken by my brother in law's hunting buddy just outside Mt. Pleasant the week of Nov. 14. He was gathering up to leave when he looked up & there it was, directly in front of his deer stand, about 30 or 40 yds. away. He said it was HUGE, & never made even the slightest sound as he leisurely strolled by. So, y'all be careful out there! You never know when you've got company out in the woods.

IMG_9131.jpgpantherLA.jpeg

Two different pics. However, they do appear to have been taken at the same location. Sending them to my brother in law in a side by side. Could get interesting when he asks for an explanation. Neither of us tolerate liars very well.

My apologies. Never had any reason to doubt the pic. We had 2 adults & 2 cubs hanging out on our place a few yrs. ago, & we live less than 10 miles from the Titus County line. Rarely saw them all together, usually it was one adult, or the cubs & an adult. Only saw the cubs a handful of times, but the adult(s) would come up right behind the barns, & within 50 yds of the house, even with us outside. Way too close for comfort, but they never bothered a thing. They were seen in Naples & close to Hughes Springs also. Or at least we all figured it was the same ones. Haven't seen or heard tell of them in a while though.

It is the same animal in almost the same spot. More than likely a house cat, but nevertheless this picture has been out there for at least a couple of years and I had seen it before. Just letting you know there was a little dishonesty going on with you brother in law's friend.....sounds like he just wanted some attention.....probably put it on his Facebook lol

• 4 weeks later...

One early morning a few years ago, my senior in high school I got out of bed and finding that my brother was in the bathroom I walked outside to relieve myself. Sure enough, about 30 yards away a panther strolled by and was looking right at me. He ran off into the woods behind the barn and I've never seen him again. About a month later my mom was working in her flower bed and heard something looked up and he was in the same spot that I saw him, running into the woods.

We put a game camera out just to see if there were more but never had any luck. But I do know those big cats still dwell in east Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much every black panther picture found on the hunting forum can be googled and found that it was taken in the jungle somewhere. I hear about all these east texas cats, yet no one has a picture of one? I'm a Trinity River Bottom kid myself, and I've heard wise tale and wise tale about cats around our place, but no one has a picture, weird...

Pretty much every black panther picture found on the hunting forum can be googled and found that it was taken in the jungle somewhere. I hear about all these east texas cats, yet no one has a picture of one? I'm a Trinity River Bottom kid myself, and I've heard wise tale and wise tale about cats around our place, but no one has a picture, weird...

You are pretty much dead on. Most of the tales you hear about are just that.....tales. The only large black cats are black leopards and jaguars..... neither of which live in this continent. Now there are mountain lions but they are quite rare in east Texas......lots of claims but precious few legitimate photos and even fewer specimens. I had the privilege of seeing an actual specimen that was killed in the Jacksonville "loves lookout" area. That was probably back in the late '90s and I was with my brother selling wild hogs that we had trapped to a guy we knew. We had sold a number of hogs to him and this one occasion he started telling us this "mountain lion" story, which to be honest I wasn't believing......until he offered to show us the body. And there it was, wrapped up in clear plastic drop cloths in his deep freezer. It was a juvenile male approx 70-80 lbs. Needless to say, I was convinced lol......and maybe a little guilty for not believing the guy. In my defense, his story was kind of crazy. He shot it with a 9mm pistol after his hog dogs(black mouth curs) had pinned it down.

• 9 months later...

You are pretty much dead on. Most of the tales you hear about are just that.....tales. The only large black cats are black leopards and jaguars..... neither of which live in this continent. Now there are mountain lions but they are quite rare in east Texas......lots of claims but precious few legitimate photos and even fewer specimens. I had the privilege of seeing an actual specimen that was killed in the Jacksonville "loves lookout" area. That was probably back in the late '90s and I was with my brother selling wild hogs that we had trapped to a guy we knew. We had sold a number of hogs to him and this one occasion he started telling us this "mountain lion" story, which to be honest I wasn't believing......until he offered to show us the body. And there it was, wrapped up in clear plastic drop cloths in his deep freezer. It was a juvenile male approx 70-80 lbs. Needless to say, I was convinced lol......and maybe a little guilty for not believing the guy. In my defense, his story was kind of crazy. He shot it with a 9mm pistol after his hog dogs(black mouth curs) had pinned it down.

I saw a blonde colored one off La191( East of Logansport, La.) at the Intersection of Hunter Road at about 10:00 PM one night back in the summer of 2010 & it was a Cougar, not any domesticated cat... Later that same year , a co-worker saw a black one a couple miles away from where I saw mine, only it was daytime then. You don't see them often, but they ARE there...

• 4 weeks later...

While there have been some very real pics and sightings of mountain lions in East Texas, I have never seen one of a black cat yet that turned out to be true.

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Back in the early 70s I was driving down a remote dirt road through a creek bottom between Garrison and Nacogdoches late in the evening and I saw a big black cat jump down from a high sandy roadside bank into the road and slowly walk across then effortlessly jumped up the bank on the other side. I wasn't more than about 25 yards away from the animal. The cat had a long tail like a cougar or jaguar. I know jaguars are shorter legged and more compact cats than cougars. It could have been a black jaguar but it looked more like a cougar. I have been an outdoorsman and avid hunter for over 40 years and I have seen dozens of bobcats and smaller exotic cats. This was no bobcat. It probably weighed 80-100 lbs. I would loved to have taken a picture or done the red-neck thing and got a shot at it. There wasn't time, it was over in a few seconds. No one I talked to about the sighting in that area ever saw it before or after I saw it. I don't care what has been "officially" documented by or reported to the TP&W, I know what I saw.

I saw a blonde colored one off La191( East of Logansport, La.) at the Intersection of Hunter Road at about 10:00 PM one night back in the summer of 2010 & it was a Cougar, not any domesticated cat... Later that same year , a co-worker saw a black one a couple miles away from where I saw mine, only it was daytime then. You don't see them often, but they ARE there...

You are correct. They are just far more rare than people claim. Everybody loves to tell a cool story about the black Panther that lives on their grandpa's place. The animal I actually saw and touched(dead of course) was in 1999. The last actual specimen in East Texas prior to this cat had been in 1991, killed near Kilgore.

Think about it. If there were as many as claimed by people's stories, there would be far more dead cats. I don't know any rednecks around here that wouldn't put a bullet in one if they had a chance.

You are correct. They are just far more rare than people claim. Everybody loves to tell a cool story about the black Panther that lives on their grandpa's place. The animal I actually saw and touched(dead of course) was in 1999. The last actual specimen in East Texas prior to this cat had been in 1991, killed near Kilgore.

Think about it. If there were as many as claimed by people's stories, there would be far more dead cats. I don't know any rednecks around here that wouldn't put a bullet in one if they had a chance.

With regard to them " living on Grand Pa's place"', I think these cats are nomadic & travel large remote areas covering hundreds of square miles & have their dens in the Most remote, inaccessible areas to man.

• 2 months later...

With regard to them " living on Grand Pa's place"', I think these cats are nomadic & travel large remote areas covering hundreds of square miles & have their dens in the Most remote, inaccessible areas to man.

why of course they do lol no black panthers in east texas, period. your eyes fooled you kirt!