Waskom Vs Refugio

wildcatball

Despite his impressive statistics, I doubt TQ will be recruited at the same level as Colt McCoy. I also think there is a very good correlation between that game and this one.

With all those posts, one would think you'd have a better handle on how this works. I have nothing but love for McCoy, but this isn't about the one player, whether it be TQ or McCoy. TQ is on a team with the right tools, in the right system, and with the right coaches. He's also been there, done that, and done it successfully. What level, if any he will be recruited at will have zero bearing on the outcome of this game. He is as good as there has been at his position in the state of Texas, but he continually deflects praise and attention to his team, similar to McCoy's character.

Refugio 55-30.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With all those posts, one would think you'd have a better handle on how this works. I have nothing but love for McCoy, but this isn't about the one player, whether it be TQ or McCoy. TQ is on a team with the right tools, in the right system, and with the right coaches. He's also been there, done that, and done it successfully. What level, if any he will be recruited at will have zero bearing on the outcome of this game. He is as good as there has been at his position in the state of Texas, but he continually deflects praise and attention to his team, similar to McCoy's character.

Refugio 55-30.

I am hoping for a lower scoring game. In my mind Waskom has to slow down the train. I have seen spread teams score so fast your head will spin. Pass Pass out of bounds, Pass TD Drive time 35 seconds. Waskom does not need that.

Refugio 55-30.

Same situation as Colt McCoy ... great team, great system, great coaches (his dad was head coach)

Very similar to what McCoy was facing against San Augustine

There are a lot of similarities whether you see them or not.

As far as the speed goes-----Barry Sanders didn't have world class speed, but he could start, stop, and change directions quickly......and I imagine his 40 time was better than average because of his first 10-15 yards...........Waskom does have some guys with really good start/stop/change directions abilities

As far as the speed goes-----Barry Sanders didn't have world class speed, but he could start, stop, and change directions quickly......and I imagine his 40 time was better than average because of his first 10-15 yards...........Waskom does have some guys with really good start/stop/change directions abilities

that is very true

Same situation as Colt McCoy ... great team, great system, great coaches (his dad was head coach)

Very similar to what McCoy was facing against San Augustine

There are a lot of similarities whether you see them or not.

Jim Ned has historically been a very average program at the very best. They had 3 to 4 decent seasons, one that was great, 2003, but they couldn't seal the deal. They've returned to mediocrity since then.

Refugio on the other hand is rooted in winning. Right? They're a program with more playoff wins than any school in Texas and multiple championships. That's all Quintanilla and his teammates have seen and heard about while growing up in the community and all they have known since they started playing. Quintanilla and quite a few of his teammates have already won one championship, lost to last year's champion, and are very close to another championship. They know what it's all about.

Doesn't mean Waskom can't be the one to take it all the way. Hoping for a great game!

Leonard is not in East Texas? Just north of Greenville? Just because they don't have a following on here doesn't mean they aren't East Texas... Where would you say they are geographically then?

that puts leonard in the edge of north central texas. they are just as good as any team further east. yes geographically they are considered in my book east texas. more on the western edge. but still a very dangerous team to play.

Jim Ned has historically been a very average program at the very best. They had 3 to 4 decent seasons, one that was great, 2003, but they couldn't seal the deal. They've returned to mediocrity since then.

Refugio on the other hand is rooted in winning. Right? They're a program with more playoff wins than any school in Texas and multiple championships. That's all Quintanilla and his teammates have seen and heard about while growing up in the community and all they have known since they started playing. Quintanilla and quite a few of his teammates have already won one championship, lost to last year's champion, and are very close to another championship. They know what it's all about.

Doesn't mean Waskom can't be the one to take it all the way. Hoping for a great game!

Refugio has more championships than Celina? more playoff appearances. more than Katy, Forney. just saying. Know Refugio is a powerhouse in 2 a didn't know they had 7 State Championships.

Refugio has more championships than Celina? more playoff appearances. more than Katy, Forney. just saying. Know Refugio is a powerhouse in 2 a didn't know they had 7 State Championships.

They are as close this year as they will get. They are leaving reliant in defeat.

Blue1980, go back and brush up on your reading comprehension. I didn't say more championships, what I said was "they're a program with more playoff wins than any school in Texas and multiple championships." It can be tough working with some of you, but I'm trying to be patient and help bring you along.

My game prediction and reasoning.

Waskom 42 Refugio 32

Well it is time for my pre-game prediction and you can see it above, but here is my reasoning. Waskom has had a outstanding year regardless whether we win or lose. I have always been proud of our school but this year has been special with the football team playing outstanding and representing Waskom and Waskom ISD so well. Now to the game what I am about to say most everyone already knows there is no certainty when you predict how a game will turn out an...d others games have been much easier. Here is what Waskom has to do to win this game, Refugio is a A1 passing team with a outstanding QB and good receivers to boot. Waskom with their athletic DB's will have to play man to man with Kevin in Center-field reading the QB and moving to where he sees the ball being thrown. The DB's will have to run step for step with the receivers maybe even jamming them at the line of scrimmage giving us time to put a rush on the Refugio's QB. Never has a game needed a pass rush like this game and Waskom will have to blitz at times but when doing so that will leave someone open. If we can't put pressure on the QB the DB's can't run with a receiver who knows where he is going for a long period of time. If we can't do this Waskom will be in trouble as have every team that has played Refugio. Waskom's running attack will not be stopped by Refugio, I don't know how much we will score but when playing a passing team the clock does not run on incompletion's like it does on a running team so look for a long game, especially if we shut Refugio down. Also nobody has shut Refugio down this year, yes they lost one game but in a close one and a bigger school to boot. We need three or four stops by our defense and I think we win the game. I am not counting on a great defense by Refugio since they gave up 72 points to Rogers. I believe if Waskom plays it's game we will win and will play Cisco next week.

How long was it Wild? Just wondering because I remember our slowest back taking one to the house. ;). He runs like a 4.9.

He went about 85 yards, I was thinking HS back took it about 45 to 50 yards to the house on the second play.Also Kevin had the guy but the CC back was like a bull and Kevin just fell off the tackle.

I'm not sure anyone even touched the HS back on that play