• PG 8-0
  • Paris 7-1
  • Pitt 4-4
  • NL, Atl 2-6
  • L-E 1-7

Remaining Girls Schedule

• Friday: PG @ ATL; NL @ LE; Pitt @ Paris
  • Tuesday, Feb. 4: Paris @ PG; ATL @ NL; LE @ Pitt

Girls Synopsis: PG and Paris stay on track to Feb. 4 rematch at PG. Pitt takes a playoff berth and should finish 3rd. NL is playing much better and should finish 4th.

Boys Scores:

• Paris 119, Atlanta 27
  • Pleasant Grove 82, Liberty-Eylau 81 (OT)
  • North Lamar 50, Pittsburg 27

Boys Standings

• NL, Paris 5-1
  • PG 4-2
  • L-E 3-3
  • Atl 1-5
  • Pitt 0-6

Boys Synopsis: So far, the 4 playoff contenders are holding serve on home court. Nothing is settled yet. L-E faces a must-win Friday at home vs. NL, and PG follows with a similar must-win home game next Tuesday vs. Paris. The team that steals a road win will have the inside track to the district title. Atlanta uses the Grinnell system (massive substitutions, quick 3's, full-court pressure). If you're not ready for it, it can pose problems, and they might still be able to knock off PG, L-E, or NL. The first meeting between Paris and ATL (Paris 71-65), Rabbits almost pulled off an upset after making 10 3's (including some ugly bank shots). Paris had 31 turnovers and a ton of missed points in the paint in that game. Tuesday's rematch was a different story. Paris shot 60% (for 2nd game in row), just 13 turnovers, while Atlanta made 1 of 36 from 3-point range. Not only did every Paris player score, the Cats almost had all 9 players in double figures (one with 7, another with 8). As for the PG-LE game, Jason Smith hit a runner in the lane with 1.4 seconds left in overtime to lift the Hawks to the win.

Girls scores:

• Pleasant Grove def. Atlanta
  • Paris 48, Pittsburg 38
  • North Lamar 39, Liberty-Eylau 29

Girls Standings

• PG 9-0 (clinched tie)
  • Paris 8-1
  • Pitt 4-5
  • NL 3-6
  • Atl 2-7
  • L-E 1-8

Girls Synopsis: Paris is at PG Tuesday needing a win to force a tie for top spot. Pitt hosts L-E, and a win secures No. 3 seed. NL hosts Atlanta where winner gets No. 4 seed.

Boys Scores:

• Liberty-Eylau 73, North Lamar 48
  • Paris 73, Pittsburg 34
  • Pleasant Grove 82, Atlanta 54

Boys Standings

• Paris 6-1
  • NL, PG 5-2
  • L-E 4-3
  • Atl 1-6
  • Pitt 0-7

Boys Synopsis: Stretch run battle for seedings among top 4. The team that's able to steal a win on the road will probably take it all. Paris has, by far, the toughest finishing schedule. Remaining games:

• Feb. 4: Paris @ PG; Atl @ NL; L-E @ Pitt
  • Feb. 7: NL @ Paris; L-E @ Atl; Pitt @ PG
  • Feb. 11: Paris @ L-E; PG @ NL; Atl @ Pitt

PG girls wrapped up 10-0 run through district with 60-43 win over Paris (8-2) Tuesday. Paris will be #2 seed. NL beat Atlanta, 71-36, to take playoff spot. Pitt is the other girls rep.

Big win on boys side in Paris 72-66 final at PG. It's the first road win by one of the big 4 (Paris, NL, PG, L-E) among themselves. Paris (7-1) can win district by holding serve at home Friday vs. NL (6-2). Don't have L-E score, but I'd assume they beat Pitt and would be tied with PG for 3rd at 5-3.

Seljah Johnson scored 40 points tonight for Paris and has inside track for district MVP.

Final tonight: North Lamar boys 57, Paris 47. That leaves NL and Paris tied at 7-2 with a game left. Don't have scores of L-E at Atlanta or Pitt at PG but, assuming both win, PG and L-E would remain game back at 6-3.

Final games Tuesday: Paris @ L-E and PG @ NL

• NL win over PG gives them district championship due to sweep of Paris (even if Paris beats L-E).
  • PG win and Paris win gives Paris the district title outright.
  • PG win and Paris loss creates four-way tie. Have no ideal how that tie-breaker would play out.

As for the game Friday, NL sophomore guard Levi Porter scored 27, including 15 of 16 at the free throw line. NL made 22 of 28 from the line. Paris was 5 of 11. So much for home cooking.

Ok Parisian Let's not make it sound like the refs were a deciding factor in the game. There was little if any foul differential. The difference, especially with Levi, was NL was fouled going to the basket and in the act of shooting. And there were at least 5 fouls late in the game when Paris was down by 7 and were fouling to send NL to the line.

Man, I stumbled upon this thread by accident..... But I'm glad I did because there are definitely some statistical anomalies in here.

1. Okay, so Paris & Atl played twice.... Paris won the 1st contest by 6 and the 2nd one by 92? ###.

2. 1 for 36 from 3 pt land? C'mon man!

No, the refs were not the deciding factor in the Paris/NL game. But it is a fact that it's impossible to get three decent refs out of the chapter in Paris that does not have ties to North Lamar. Several are coaches at North Lamar. Some are parents of North Lamar students, and several have kids that graduated from North Lamar. There is definitely a home court advantage when they play at home.

Anytime these two schools play there should be refs from out of town brought in. It would be better if another chapter was used for all games in Paris and North Lamar. That goes for basketball and football!

Home cooking in Lamar cty???....flanker is correct in his thinking...have watched many games in Paris schools and seen some calls/no calls where you go HUH?...I would use another chapter as well in district games....

If LE an PG pull out a win all four teams will be 7-3. correct?

Ok Parisian Let's not make it sound like the refs were a deciding factor in the game. There was little if any foul differential. The difference, especially with Levi, was NL was fouled going to the basket and in the act of shooting. And there were at least 5 fouls late in the game when Paris was down by 7 and were fouling to send NL to the line.

First, an update on other scores last night:

• L-E 82, Atlanta 80
  • PG 65, Pitt 31

So, that makes current standings:

• NL, Paris 7-2
  • PG, L-E 6-3

And, yes, if PG beats NL and L-E beats Paris there would be a 4-way tie at 7-3. In that scenario, L-E would have won once each against the other 3, while NL sweeps Paris, Paris sweeps PG, and PG sweeps NL. I have no clue how the tiebreaker would work or if there would be a mini play-in tournament.

I merely pointed out the statistical discrepancy in last night's game and want to emphasize the fact that Porter made 15 of 16 at the line . . . that's pretty phenomenal. He was outstanding under pressure and also made a couple of huge baskets that gave NL some separation at the end. The final 7 of 9 NL free throws came in the last 1:26 when Paris was forced to foul. Take those away and you're still looking at a 2-to-1 difference in free throw opportunities in a physical game (on both sides). Yes, I realize there's a natural tendency to reward players who have the ball in their hands and are willing to drive to the bucket. That doesn't mean I like watching one-sided free throw shooting contests. It reminds me too much of the 2006 Mavericks-Heat NBA finals. I thought the difference in last night's game was rebounding (NL did a great job blocking out and not allowing Paris second opportunities) and that Paris' guards spit the bit.

BTW, the same officiating crew last night also worked the first Paris-NL game (48-44). I don't like watching games in the 40s. It suggests to me that too much contact off the ball is being allowed.

In a side note, I thought fans on both sides did an outstanding job behaving themselves and minding their Ps and Qs. The gym was packed, but there didn't seem to be any notable animosity during the game or afterwards. That, at least, was refreshing.

First, an update on other scores last night:

• L-E 82, Atlanta 80
  • PG 65, Pitt 31

So, that makes current standings:

• NL, Paris 7-2
  • PG, L-E 6-3

And, yes, if PG beats NL and L-E beats Paris there would be a 4-way tie at 7-3. In that scenario, L-E would have won once each against the other 3, while NL sweeps Paris, Paris sweeps PG, and PG sweeps NL. I have no clue how the tiebreaker would work or if there would be a mini play-in tournament.

I merely pointed out the statistical discrepancy in last night's game and want to emphasize the fact that Porter made 15 of 16 at the line . . . that's pretty phenomenal. He was outstanding under pressure and also made a couple of huge baskets that gave NL some separation at the end. The final 7 of 9 NL free throws came in the last 1:26 when Paris was forced to foul. Take those away and you're still looking at a 2-to-1 difference in free throw opportunities in a physical game (on both sides). Yes, I realize there's a natural tendency to reward players who have the ball in their hands and are willing to drive to the bucket. That doesn't mean I like watching one-sided free throw shooting contests. It reminds me too much of the 2006 Mavericks-Heat NBA finals. I thought the difference in last night's game was rebounding (NL did a great job blocking out and not allowing Paris second opportunities) and that Paris' guards spit the bit.

BTW, the same officiating crew last night also worked the first Paris-NL game (48-44). I don't like watching games in the 40s. It suggests to me that too much contact off the ball is being allowed.

In a side note, I thought fans on both sides did an outstanding job behaving themselves and minding their Ps and Qs. The gym was packed, but there didn't seem to be any notable animosity during the game or afterwards. That, at least, was refreshing.

I think LE had the tie breaker.

I've heard they're using the North Texas chapter (not Paris chapter) tonight, but I still lean to NL at home. They should be able to keep the score down and pound the ball inside.

As for Paris-LE, it will be tough for Paris to pull off a 3-peat over the Leopards, especially if their young guards get rattled like they're prone to do. First game went to OT in the Paris tournament. Second game was a blowout by Paris at home but no way indicative of the matchup problems LE poses.

I've heard they're using the North Texas chapter (not Paris chapter) tonight, but I still lean to NL at home. They should be able to keep the score down and pound the ball inside.

As for Paris-LE, it will be tough for Paris to pull off a 3-peat over the Leopards, especially if their young guards get rattled like they're prone to do. First game went to OT in the Paris tournament. Second game was a blowout by Paris at home but no way indicative of the matchup problems LE poses.

It will be senior night with a nice crowd there at the Rader Dome. I have to go with thge leopards in a close one.

Halftime score: North Lamar 34, Pleasant Grove 23. Versache Buchanan sinks four 3's in 2nd quarter, including one to end the half. Hawks' Menah & Smith have 3 fouls each.

Paris at Liberty-Eylau postponed due to weather in Texarkana area. No word yet on a makeup date (probably waiting to see if NL wins tonight to lock down No. 1 seed).