Mr. P

So here it is:

Fruitvale

Maud

Mount Enterprise

Overton

Tenaha

Timpson

I know almost nothing about Fruitvale, except that they're a former six-man school. Timpson and Maud are pretty tough year-in and year-out, Overton and Mount Enterprise should enjoy a rather spirited Rusk County rivalry (it's been too long since these neighbors have played). Tenaha is the obvious favorite in this district, but they shouldn't expect anyone to lay down for them.

Thoughts?

Well you never know how the UIL will draw it up...Tenaha is always the definitive favorite, seems like they just reload from somewhere...Maud will be tough again...Timpson played competitive ball in their district last year and has a seasoned coach in Conway...Mt Enterprise plays spirited ball...Fruitvale may struggle a bit in 11 man for a while, you never know...Overton was young last year with many freshmen pressed into service...hopefully this will pay off next year...

Here's my waaaaay too early prediction:

1.) Tenaha (5-0)

2.) Maud (4-1)

3.) Overton (3-2)

4.) Timpson (3-2)

5.) Mount Enterprise (2-3)

6.) Fruitvale (0-5)

phone crashed i lost your phone number.

Tenaha will no longer be the Tigers for next year. After looking at our football and basketball districts we wanna be call the tenaha ike turners...."eat some cake anna mae!" *slap*.

I'm excited about this district because it'll be competitive. I'm not excited about this district because Timpson and Fruitvale are a LONG ways away for Junior High Football games!

I'm not very familiar with Fruitvale. How far is that for Maud? Tenaha is 8 miles closer than Timpson for you guys. Mt. may be a little closer. Better buy stock in Exxon before August!

phone crashed i lost your phone number.

Is yours the same? I'll text ya...

Tenaha will no longer be the Tigers for next year. After looking at our football and basketball districts we wanna be call the tenaha ike turners...."eat some cake anna mae!" *slap*.

So, wait a sec, does that mean we're the Overton Tina Turners? That we'll eventually overcome and outshine you, leaving you a historical footnote? ;)

I'm excited about this district because it'll be competitive. I'm not excited about this district because Timpson and Fruitvale are a LONG ways away for Junior High Football games!

Maudite, I feel for you man. No offense, but I don't know why y'all are in this group. The district makes pretty good sense (distance-wise) for everyone but y'all and Fruitvale. Bummer man.

I'm not very familiar with Fruitvale. How far is that for Maud? Tenaha is 8 miles closer than Timpson for you guys. Mt. may be a little closer. Better buy stock in Exxon before August!

Fruitvale is practically in DFW, while Maud is almost in Texarkana. It's absurd, though not near as bad as Tenaha/Mount Enterprise traveling to the Gulf of Mexico (Sabine Pass) for their district games the last coupla years.

1. Tenaha

2. Maud

3. Timpson

4. Overton

5. Mount Enterprise

6. Fruitvale

Anyone know what happened to Timpson last season? I seem to remember them starting out 4-0 or 5-0 or something, then they faded. Injury bug bite 'em or something?

So, here's our unofficial and totally tentative 2014 schedule (with 2013 records):

PREASEASON:
Grapeland (2-8)
Big Sandy (0-10)

NON-DISTRICT:
Ore City (0-10)
All Saints (1-9)
Cross Roads (3-7)
Beckville (7-3)
Carlisle (8-2)

DISTRICT:
Fruitvale (six-man)
Mount Enterprise (4-6)
Timpson (5-5)
Maud (8-2)
Tenaha (10-0)

Anyone know what happened to Timpson last season? I seem to remember them starting out 4-0 or 5-0 or something, then they faded. Injury bug bite 'em or something?

They started off like a house fire against a couple of weak teams. They were counting on getting one key player back from off-season surgery, but he got hurt again before they got to district. Without him, they couldn't establish a run game. Their QB is very athletic and deadly accurate, but their receivers really struggled with passes hitting them in the hands. The QB will be a jr this year. Defensively, they had a hard time against the run. I don't know why, because they have some good defensive coaches. We should play them in non-district, so you'll be able to get a good read on them.

ole stone hands. them boys swatted at that ball like they trying to kill some bees.

Tenaha will play Joaquin, Alto, Shelbyville, Brookhill and White Oak

do we play those 5 games and then the bye week before district?

Maudite, I feel for you man. No offense, but I don't know why y'all are in this group. The district makes pretty good sense (distance-wise) for everyone but y'all and Fruitvale. Bummer man.

Fruitvale is practically in DFW, while Maud is almost in Texarkana. It's absurd, though not near as bad as Tenaha/Mount Enterprise traveling to the Gulf of Mexico (Sabine Pass) for their district games the last coupla years.

UIL always caters to the upper classifications 1st

UIL always caters to the upper classifications 1st

Oh no doubt... often it seems like, once they get past 3A-5A, they start just randomly drawing big circles on a map and saying, "Put these schools in one district and these schools in another district."

I disagree--- we clamored for enrollment equity and got it.. When you equalize enrollments, the map thins out... Deep East Texas is a scarce as West Texas for 11 man football schools between 104-155 kids.. There is no randomness to it I assure you... The only other school in 2A-D2 that remotely geographically fits in District 11-2a is Burkeville.. We can't have both-- equitable enrollment=long travel in the lesser sized division

I disagree--- we clamored for enrollment equity and got it..

I understand what you're saying and perhaps my initial characterization was a trifle unfair. I suppose I should've been more clear that my view of the "randomness" has to do more with past history than current. On the whole, I am pleased with our new district. From Overton over to Mount Enterprise in Rusk County, down to Tenaha and Timpson in Shelby County, it's really not a bad job of alignment.

Still, I'd gladly trade driving waaaaay the heck up to Maud for a slightly bigger but closer school... like Grapeland (162), or even Cushing (170) for that matter. ;)

I understand what you're saying and perhaps my initial characterization was a trifle unfair. I suppose I should've been more clear that my view of the "randomness" has to do more with past history than current. On the whole, I am pleased with our new district. From Overton over to Mount Enterprise in Rusk County, down to Tenaha and Timpson in Shelby County, it's really not a bad job of alignment.

Still, I'd gladly trade driving waaaaay the heck up to Maud for a slightly bigger but closer school... like Grapeland (162), or even Cushing (170) for that matter. ;)

They have to put the cutoff somewhere. Inevitably, it will end up with someone 8 miles down the road being in a different division. Check with your neighbors in Carlisle. I'm sure SOME of them would be willing to trade Kerens and Alto for Maud and Fruitvale.