District 10 2A (D-1)

t-dub

Tx, I agree with you 100% on everything you put here. The only thing up for debate is Dallas Episcopal.

The last two year's games vs Mart don't mean anything about this season, especially concerning private schools. We have all seen private schools be world beaters one season and not worth a darn the very next.

In all honesty, I think Hemphill is better than Queen City. The fact they played WS so close this year makes me feel like they are turning things around a bit and I think this week's game with SA is a very interesting match up.

Overall, after considering the total picture, I would probably go along with you that SA has the tougher overall non-district schedule. I also know the 31-22 win over Garrison is much closer in score than what actually happened that night. We all say this about the teams we follow, but it's true. So this could be a hinge point of argument in comparing the two schools (Sville and SA).

I do think they are the best two in the district though and we will find out soon enough.

Very good analysis above. The order in which it may come down to is in the right order for now being the SoS. Like I said in an earlier post things will get exponentially more difficult from here on out after week five. Evadale is two time better most likely than any team Cushing has faced thus far just from a little tradition on their side. Beckville as of late has handled Cushing with ease along with everyone Else in the District. I believe Beckville is being coached by Lucky Gamble now if I am not mistaken....he wins wherevever he goes...I thought he had retired. Anyway, it will be fun watching the District play out...just hope everyone has all their players healthy after the bye to get this thing started.

Very good analysis above. The order in which it may come down to is in the right order for now being the SoS. Like I said in an earlier post things will get exponentially more difficult from here on out after week five. Evadale is two time better most likely than any team Cushing has faced thus far just from a little tradition on their side. Beckville as of late has handled Cushing with ease along with everyone Else in the District. I believe Beckville is being coached by Lucky Gamble now if I am not mistaken....he wins wherevever he goes...I thought he had retired. Anyway, it will be fun watching the District play out...just hope everyone has all their players healthy after the bye to get this thing started.

AD/HC is Lance, Luckys son. Lucky is on staff as assistant.

Tx, I agree with you 100% on everything you put here. The only thing up for debate is Dallas Episcopal.

The last two year's games vs Mart don't mean anything about this season, especially concerning private schools. We have all seen private schools be world beaters one season and not worth a darn the very next.

In all honesty, I think Hemphill is better than Queen City. The fact they played WS so close this year makes me feel like they are turning things around a bit and I think this week's game with SA is a very interesting match up.

Overall, after considering the total picture, I would probably go along with you that SA has the tougher overall non-district schedule. I also know the 31-22 win over Garrison is much closer in score than what actually happened that night. We all say this about the teams we follow, but it's true. So this could be a hinge point of argument in comparing the two schools (Sville and SA).

I do think they are the best two in the district though and we will find out soon enough.

I can agree with that. And I think the same thing about our 18-14 score with Garrison. Their 2 tds and FG came after SA gave them short fields (like inside the 30) after turnovers. And the beauty of it is we have grown up alot since then. On offense we play 7 freshmen or sophomores (6 start and 1 gets alot of time at RB). On defense we play 5 freshmen or sophomores. We've came a long ways since Garrison. I'm excited to get into district and see what our kids can do!

To be fair to all, here are some other stats to consider when talking Dist 10.

According to win loss records of non-district opponents thus far, toughness of schedule would fall in this order

1. Joaquin - they have played a non-district schedule that consists of two 3-0 teams and a pre-season high ranking Cayuga who is currently 1-3. Total opp record is 7-3 (.700)

2. San Augustine - faced the Garrison Bulldogs and undefeated Episcopal Dallas in addition to two 1-3 teams. Total opp record is 8-6 (.571)

3. West Sabine - two winning teams in Hemphill and EF in addition to winless Burkeville. Total opp record is 5-6 (.455)

4. Shelbyville - two winning teams in Garrison and Tenaha and two winless teams in LK and Colmesneil. Total opp record is 5-9 (.357)

5. Beckville - Maud is best at 2-2. Rest are bad. Total opp record is 4-11 (.363)

6. Cushing - No winning opponent. Total opp record is 3-12 (.250)

Now, before you guys with losing records get too excited, consider exactly what you are looking at and don't focus on the wins/losses or percentages. Here's why.

Joaquin - you have padded the stats of your opposition giving them 2 more wins by losing to your opponents yourself. If you were as good as your opposition, your opposition would be 5-5. (.500)

San Augustine - same thing here. If you guys take away the three wins your opposition has, then they stand at 5-6. (under .500)

West Sabine - not nearly as bad with only 1 loss to their opponents and hurting their oppositions win/loss total by adding 2 losses to their record. At worst, their opposition is 4-4. (.500)

Shelbyville has added 3 losses minimum and potentially 4 to their opposition depending on what camp you argue from. At minimum, their opposition is 5-6 and includes Garrison and Tenaha (-.500)

Beckville and Cushing - no question, softest schedules in the district. They combine for 7-23. However, you take away the 8 losses added by them and you still have a 7-15 minimum.

Easy to ascertain that strength of schedule is almost deadlocked, in all reality anyways, among the so-called "top four" in this district. You can't look strictly at wins and losses when you are contributing to the wins or losses either one. Remove that element and you'll see the true strength of opposition.

With that being said, the nod for highest ranking and toughest opponent on anyone's schedule goes to Joaquin and Shelbyville for playing Tenaha.

Next would be a toss up for SA and WS for playing both EF and Episcopal of Dallas.

After that, the next "common" quality opponent would be Garrison playing both SA and Shelbyville.

With the above mentioned considerations, the true strength of schedule for non-district, as it has played out so far, for Dist 10 AA DIV I, would be as follows.

1. Shelbyville

2. San Augustine

3. Joaquin

4. West Sabine

5. Beckville

6. Cushing

Now, with that being said, one could make an argument that the above ranking could be exactly how this thing plays out. Of course, we will all know soon enough won't we?

Non-district schedule preparations for district combined with athletes gives to nod to Shelbyville and SA for the Dist Title fight. The 3rd place position can, and most likely will be, very interesting. Joaquin has demonstrated throughout the years they are more than willing to upset any talent in this area at the right given time. WS, while athletic in spots, has some injury issues to overcome and of course, that big hit from graduation. That leaves the two up and comers in Beckville and Cushing as the very dangerous sneak in and steal something opponents of this district.

This race will be fun to watch on a weekly basis. Best of luck to all, stay healthy and may the best team win.

Great write up!

To be fair to all, here are some other stats to consider when talking Dist 10.

According to win loss records of non-district opponents thus far, toughness of schedule would fall in this order

1. Joaquin - they have played a non-district schedule that consists of two 3-0 teams and a pre-season high ranking Cayuga who is currently 1-3. Total opp record is 7-3 (.700)

2. San Augustine - faced the Garrison Bulldogs and undefeated Episcopal Dallas in addition to two 1-3 teams. Total opp record is 8-6 (.571)

3. West Sabine - two winning teams in Hemphill and EF in addition to winless Burkeville. Total opp record is 5-6 (.455)

4. Shelbyville - two winning teams in Garrison and Tenaha and two winless teams in LK and Colmesneil. Total opp record is 5-9 (.357)

5. Beckville - Maud is best at 2-2. Rest are bad. Total opp record is 4-11 (.363)

6. Cushing - No winning opponent. Total opp record is 3-12 (.250)

Now, before you guys with losing records get too excited, consider exactly what you are looking at and don't focus on the wins/losses or percentages. Here's why.

Joaquin - you have padded the stats of your opposition giving them 2 more wins by losing to your opponents yourself. If you were as good as your opposition, your opposition would be 5-5. (.500)

San Augustine - same thing here. If you guys take away the three wins your opposition has, then they stand at 5-6. (under .500)

West Sabine - not nearly as bad with only 1 loss to their opponents and hurting their oppositions win/loss total by adding 2 losses to their record. At worst, their opposition is 4-4. (.500)

Shelbyville has added 3 losses minimum and potentially 4 to their opposition depending on what camp you argue from. At minimum, their opposition is 5-6 and includes Garrison and Tenaha (-.500)

Beckville and Cushing - no question, softest schedules in the district. They combine for 7-23. However, you take away the 8 losses added by them and you still have a 7-15 minimum.

Easy to ascertain that strength of schedule is almost deadlocked, in all reality anyways, among the so-called "top four" in this district. You can't look strictly at wins and losses when you are contributing to the wins or losses either one. Remove that element and you'll see the true strength of opposition.

With that being said, the nod for highest ranking and toughest opponent on anyone's schedule goes to Joaquin and Shelbyville for playing Tenaha.

Next would be a toss up for SA and WS for playing both EF and Episcopal of Dallas.

After that, the next "common" quality opponent would be Garrison playing both SA and Shelbyville.

With the above mentioned considerations, the true strength of schedule for non-district, as it has played out so far, for Dist 10 AA DIV I, would be as follows.

1. Shelbyville

2. San Augustine

3. Joaquin

4. West Sabine

5. Beckville

6. Cushing

Now, with that being said, one could make an argument that the above ranking could be exactly how this thing plays out. Of course, we will all know soon enough won't we?

Non-district schedule preparations for district combined with athletes gives to nod to Shelbyville and SA for the Dist Title fight. The 3rd place position can, and most likely will be, very interesting. Joaquin has demonstrated throughout the years they are more than willing to upset any talent in this area at the right given time. WS, while athletic in spots, has some injury issues to overcome and of course, that big hit from graduation. That leaves the two up and comers in Beckville and Cushing as the very dangerous sneak in and steal something opponents of this district.

This race will be fun to watch on a weekly basis. Best of luck to all, stay healthy and may the best team win.

Great write up!

Cushing has had a big obsical to over come that is attitude by changing the attitude of the kids giving them heart and an attitude of a winner and not one of geting beat down every game does a huge things for a program.Hats off to the coaches for making that change and players for buying in keep your nose to the grinding stone and keep working hard and take one game at a time GO KATS !!!!

im pulling for the kats in this one and will until yall play the rams. go rams!!!!

I'm really surprised it hasn't been mentioned on this thread earlier. Shelbyville school board voted last week to install turf at Dragon Stadium immediately after football season. Congrats! That means that next year, half of the teams in this district will be playing on turf.

I'm really surprised it hasn't been mentioned on this thread earlier. Shelbyville school board voted last week to install turf at Dragon Stadium immediately after football season. Congrats! That means that next year, half of the teams in this district will be playing on turf.

Who else has turf besides SA and Sville

gotta watch out for turf toe all we have to watch out for is grass stains

It just dawned on me. Our stadium is unique in this district. It's the only one without a track. That could turn into a home field advantage, especially next year when we get 3 district games at home.

yeah we'll have coach doomer a mile away hard for him to get much coaching done from there

The only score I have on WS/ Deweyville is 28-14 WS at the half. Finals, I have Cushing losing a close one, Beckville losing by 3 TDs, and Joaquin, Shelbyville, and SA winning by 30+. I had figured on Cushing beating Evade, so that's a surprise. I knew Beckville had their hands full with UG. The 3 wins (that we know about) don't surprise me much.

The only score I have on WS/ Deweyville is 28-14 WS at the half. Finals, I have Cushing losing a close one, Beckville losing by 3 TDs, and Joaquin, Shelbyville, and SA winning by 30+. I had figured on Cushing beating Evade, so that's a surprise. I knew Beckville had their hands full with UG. The 3 wins (that we know about) don't surprise me much.

I didnt think Cushing was going to win. Good wins though...

WS 40 Deweyville 20

Good win for the Dragons. 46 - 6. Players executed well. Great job by the coaches. All questions are about to be answered. Oct. 10th in the words of Bart Scott. "Can't Wait."

With Timpson at 0-4, I'm willing to be there are more Dragon than Bear fans in the home stands next week.