Lake Travis O.C. offered AD/Head Football Coaching Job at Pine Tree H.S.

Smoaky

Multiple sources have confirmed Pine Tree I.S.D. officials are visiting Lake Travis High School this afternoon to meet Cavaliers offensive coordinator David Collins, who is their choice to become Pine Tree High School's new Athletic Director and Head Football Coach.

Terms of a contract have been finalized, based on school board approval.

Collins, 36, has been the offensive coordinator at Lake Travis for the last three years. He's also been an offensive coordinator at Mabank and Garland, and an assistant coach for one year at Allen High in 2003.

He's a graduate of Mabank High School and Sterling College in Kansas.

If approved by the school board, Collins will succeed Interim AD/Football Coach Derrick Hennigan, who replaced Derek Fitzhenry who resigned during the 2013 football season. The Pine Tree school board will meet to finalize his contract next week.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seniors will have their third coach in 4 years.

Hope he does well.

You mean that you hope he stays or you hope they keep him around...

With that being said, I really hope for some stability in that program. They have good student athletes and very supportive parents. I hope the coach shows some patience as well as the school board with this program.

You mean that you hope he stays or you hope they keep him around...

With that being said, I really hope for some stability in that program. They have good student athletes and very supportive parents. I hope the coach shows some patience as well as the school board with this program.

LT is a lot different than PT. I hope he can hang with it. It's going to be hard for him to built trust with the students when they wanted the Interim hired. Now it will be a different scheme with new coaches. Same ol PT. Starting from scratch.

LT is a lot different than PT. I hope he can hang with it. It's going to be hard for him to built trust with the students when they wanted the Interim hired. Now it will be a different scheme with new coaches. Same ol PT. Starting from scratch.

I understand your point(s), but no one likes change, but the Interim-Derrick Hennigan, who did everything he could do under tough circumstances, got the job due to change. It's part of the business, and something all coaches have in their blood. Most any school, coaches, athletes and faculty will also lean towards the interim, that's natural because they've developed a bond.

I am going to take a wait and see approach....when Poe went to Spring Hill he came from SLC...and the DC at SLC went to Bullard about the same time I believe....neither one did much...

However, I do like the hire if they get him. That tells me that they are all in for that program. The most important thing he needs to do is get a defense at PT...that is what made them somewhat competitive in the late 80s if I remember right.

I am going to take a wait and see approach....when Poe went to Spring Hill he came from SLC...and the DC at SLC went to Bullard about the same time I believe....neither one did much...

However, I do like the hire if they get him. That tells me that they are all in for that program. The most important thing he needs to do is get a defense at PT...that is what made them somewhat competitive in the late 80s if I remember right.

Didn't Bullard go a few rounds in the playoffs two years ago?

Question is..will PT have the patience? Likely answer is no.

I can't help but be absolutely amazed when I see statements like this. But it is obvious the Lobo faithful know all about patience. It comes down to how success is measured. If your satisfied by winning seasons and district championships so be it. But I feel anything less than state championships is no different than going 3-7. Year in, year out, getting knocked out of the playoffs just sounds like a ruined deer season to me. Oh well, to each his own. But being a bridesmaid, but rarely a bride (1937), has to get old.

By the way there lone playoff team was 2001 10-9 Loss to Cana (5-6) in Bi District before that it was 1976 so I am willing too bet the attitude isn't so high.

It's hard to follow your posts. It seems like you try to be literate, for the most part, but your combination of words gives me a headache. "Attitude isn't so high...?" What does that even mean? I think you meant "expectations." Expectation isn't even close to attitude, other than both of them start with a vowel....

Here's the official press release on what Smoaky.com reported on Monday.

Smoaky

====

(Longview) Pine Tree ISD Board of Trustees will vote on a lone finalist for the position of Athletic Director/Head Football Coach next week. Coach David A. Collins, currently serving Lake Travis High School, will be proposed as the new leader of the Pine Tree Pirates in a special called board meeting scheduled for Monday, February 24, 2014, at 6:00 p.m, at the Central Administration Building. A reception to meet Coach Collins is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. also in the board room.

Collins says his objective is to use his past experiences to build an athletic program in Pine Tree ISD that is second to none.

“I am humbled and honored to have been offered the Athletic Director/Head Football position at Pine Tree ISD,” said Collins. “I want to thank the PTISD selection committee for their professionalism throughout the process, and for affording me this opportunity.”

Collins comes from Lake Travis High School, located approximately 20 miles west of Austin, Texas, near Lake Travis, where he has served as assistant head football coach, offensive coordinator, quarterback coach, and track coach, since March of 2011. The football team earned a 37-4 record and won the 4A Division I State Championship in 2011, and won district 15 5A District Championship in their first season as 5A in 2012. Nine athletes on his teams earned scholarships while playing for the team.

Prior to Lake Travis, David spent 7 years as the Offensive Coordinator/Quarterback at both Mabank High School in Mabank, Texas, and Garland High School in Garland, Texas. David is a Graduate of Sterling College (Bachelors) and Lamar University (Masters). His wife Crystal is currently the elementary physical education teacher at Bee Cave Elementary in Lake Travis ISD.

According to Dr. TJ Farler, Superintendent for PTISD, his background experiences along with his reputation for strong leadership with students as well as with coaches set him apart from the other candidates. She believes Collins will be an asset to PTISD as well as the community in his new position.

“As with all employees selected to teach, to coach and to lead in our school system, we want to find the person who is the best match and who will work with us to continue a tradition of excellence for students both on the field and in the classroom,” said Farler.

Collins will oversee all PTISD athletic programs in PTJH and PTHS, that currently involve about 865 students and 12 choices for athletic sports: baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, powerlifting, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, and volleyball.

In an earlier statement, Farler reported the district received 78 applications for the athletic director and head football coach position, and narrowed the search to three.

“They just kept coming in,” she said. “We interviewed seven people in the first round and three candidates rose to the top.”

“This has been a collaborative process,” said Farler. “After the job was posted in December 2013, we started the process with discussions from all stakeholders. We talked to student athletes, coaches, faculty and staff members at the campuses; discussions have been conducted with the Board of Trustees, and the community.”

Two community meetings were held on December 4, 2013, to discuss the profile for the Athletic Director’s position. A survey was also available for parent/community input both online and in paper format for several weeks in December.

Starting in January, an interview team was assembled, which included the Superintendent’s Executive Council and principals from junior high and high school. The team members used information from the surveys and the comments from the meetings, to create a profile. This profile was used to screen the applicants in the pool of potential candidates, and to narrow the number to eight candidates who were interviewed in the first round, and then three in the second round.

“We worked intentionally to provide a transparent and responsive process in our selection of the new AD,” said Farler. “We looked for characteristics such as leadership ability, which includes strong communication skills, integrity and character; the ability to build and develop a strong team of coaches as leaders who would collaborate to build a strong program for students; coaching skills with the ability to motivate; and the ability to build strong working relationships with the campus and district staff, among other abilities provided in feedback from our community.”

Pending board approval, Collins will succeed Interim AD/Head Football Coach Derrick Hennigan, who replaced Derek Fitzhenry who resigned during the 2013 season. A recommendation from the Superintendent to the Board of Trustees is expected at a special meeting, scheduled for 6:00pm, Monday, February 24, 2014, in the PTISD Board room at Central Administration Building, 1701 Pine Tree Road, Longview, Texas.

All board meetings with the PTISD Board of Trustees are open meetings; employees and the public are welcome and encouraged to attend.

For more information, contact PTISD central office, 903-295-5000, or [email protected].