Lake Travis O.C. offered AD/Head Football Coaching Job at Pine Tree H.S.

Smoaky

I can't help but be absolutely amazed when I see statements like this. But it is obvious the Lobo faithful know all about patience. It comes down to how success is measured. If your satisfied by winning seasons and district championships so be it. But I feel anything less than state championships is no different than going 3-7. Year in, year out, getting knocked out of the playoffs just sounds like a ruined deer season to me. Oh well, to each his own. But being a bridesmaid, but rarely a bride (1937), has to get old.

Why are you amazed? This will be the 5th head coach since 2000. How am I wrong in that assumption? Pine Tree has had a head coach stay for at least 5 years just 4 times in their history...only once in the past 26 years.

And if you honestly believe a season is only measured in state championships, then you're going to be highly disappointed by any team you follow more often than not. Take shots at Longview all you want, I really could care less. My point stands that Pine Tree has proven they have little to no patience when it comes to settling on a head coach. It takes time to build a winner and Pine Tree has done nothing but restart every couple of years for almost their entire program's history.

If you want to compare head coaches though...as I said, this will be Pine Tree's 5th head coach since 2000. Longview is still on it's 4th head coach since 1974.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you amazed? This will be the 5th head coach since 2000. How am I wrong in that assumption? Pine Tree has had a head coach stay for at least 5 years just 4 times in their history...only once in the past 26 years.

And if you honestly believe a season is only measured in state championships, then you're going to be highly disappointed by any team you follow more often than not. Take shots at Longview all you want, I really could care less. My point stands that Pine Tree has proven they have little to no patience when it comes to settling on a head coach. It takes time to build a winner and Pine Tree has done nothing but restart every couple of years for almost their entire program's history.

If you want to compare head coaches though...as I said, this will be Pine Tree's 5th head coach since 2000. Longview is still on it's 4th head coach since 1974.

Again, I guess it is just how one measures success.

Again, I guess it is just how one measures success.

It isn't. You just wanted to take a shot at Longview while you still can. There's very few teams in the state that can claim the consistency that Longview has had, and none in East Texas can really come close to the past 40 years of success. A state title will come soon enough.

And either way, Longview has nothing to do with a thread like this. My statement was about Pine Tree and everything I stated was true. Heck, go read their Facebook page. Pirate fans are angry over this hire. The guy has been apart of more wins in the past three years than PT has been in a decade or more combined. They've made their minds up, just like they did the previous coach, and run him out of town.

And Gilmer was just terrible Gilmer before Traylor was hired.

Just like Kilgore was Kilgore before Vallery.

.....and just like Whitehouse was before they hired McFarlin. Whitehouse was awful before then. Worse than Pine Tree has ever thought about being, and even a homecoming game for Pine Tree. You just never know when the right hire happens at the right time. It may now be Pine Tree's time and the right guy to get it done.

I can't help but be absolutely amazed when I see statements like this. But it is obvious the Lobo faithful know all about patience. It comes down to how success is measured. If your satisfied by winning seasons and district championships so be it. But I feel anything less than state championships is no different than going 3-7. Year in, year out, getting knocked out of the playoffs just sounds like a ruined deer season to me. Oh well, to each his own. But being a bridesmaid, but rarely a bride (1937), has to get old.

amazed???? I obviously have completely missed sumthg...

"And either way, Longview has nothing to do with a thread like this. My statement was about Pine Tree and everything I stated was true. Heck, go read their Facebook page. Pirate fans are angry over this hire. The guy has been apart of more wins in the past three years than PT has been in a decade or more combined. They've made their minds up, just like they did the previous coach, and run him out of town"

^^^ this ^^^

You need to go back and re-read my post. I said that the only true success is State Championships. Not a proponent of everyone gets a trophy at all.

so basically you're saying Longview and PT are equal cause neither has won a championship...??

You need to go back and re-read my post. I said that the only true success is State Championships. Not a proponent of everyone gets a trophy at all.

Wow....I guess by that standard the last few coaches at JT have no had TRUE success...great teams but no true success....I guess Carthage and Gilmer are only truly successful when they win a title...

For the record, I wish PT luck...I really hope they become a very strong and competitive school.

21-21 in the last 4 years...but yeah let's not use that example.....

What was Bullard before he got there? I have talked to the man, seems like a great guy. He has Bullard headed in the right direction. Anyway congrats to Collins on the job. Some people will complain and argue about anything

What was Bullard before he got there? I have talked to the man, seems like a great guy. He has Bullard headed in the right direction. Anyway congrats to Collins on the job. Some people will complain and argue about anything

I have no doubt that he has improved, but my only point was that I would not expect collins to change PT into an East Texas power just because he comes from LT...I was responding to a comment made...

Here is the deal....If Collins goes in there and helps build back up the other programs that Fitzhenry all but ruined, runs a tight ship in the football program (bring some dignity back), is visible in the community, and is a regular in the halls on campus, I think he will do just fine. No one at PT expects to be state champions in the next few years. I think 4-6 or 5-5 would be a major improvement.

Here is the deal....If Collins goes in there and helps build back up the other programs that Fitzhenry all but ruined, runs a tight ship in the football program (bring some dignity back), is visible in the community, and is a regular in the halls on campus, I think he will do just fine. No one at PT expects to be state champions in the next few years. I think 4-6 or 5-5 would be a major improvement.

+1

I think the main thing this guy brings is that he is coming from what I would say is a powershouse type of program in ALL sports. Lake Travis competes for district championships in all boys and girls team sports. That is unique, even in East Texas where typcially a school is a competititor in one or two team sports, but not the whole athletic program.

Pine Tree has always been a competitor in basketball and baseball, but never football. The last AD tore down the basketball and baseball programs in order to try to strengthen the football program. I think the new hire will go back to re-building ALL programs at the school, similar to what was done at Lake Travis.

Coaches make a difference - I can certainly remember Carthage, Henderson, and Gilmer not being too successful in football until they got the right hires. Carthage was always considered a "baseball" school - but not anymore.

Longview has always been strong in football, but not so much in the other sports (other than girls basketball for many years).

Is Collins the answer - who knows? But at least PT is trying something different. The last few hires were from 2A and 3A head coaches who were obviously in over their heads once they got to a very competitive 4A district. This new guy is not going to be seeing anything he has not seen before. I think this may be a great hire and that PT may have finally gotten it right, similar to what Carthage, Henderson, and Gilmer did when they hired their respective championship coaches.

so basically you're saying Longview and PT are equal cause neither has won a championship...??

1 > 0

But yeah, sounds like that's what he's attempting to say. We'll see how much credibility that logic is when West Longview gets severely punished on 9/26/2014.

Anyway..from an offensive standpoint..great hire for PT. Hays and Giddings should thrive in this new system. Will have to develop another QB with Chumley and Manns graduating..but this guy is coming from a school that does exactly that. Think PT's biggest obstacle next season will be finding a defense..

This guy got the job at Garland because of Joe Martins recommendation not for anything he did at Mabank. He didnt do anything for the Owls. Still scratching my head on how he got the Travis job. This is his first HC positon. Not sure this is the best place to be cutting your teeth on. Good luck PT.

I seriously doubt he could get that many to leave Lake Travis to come to Pine Tree. Probably won't have trouble finding 2 guys who want their first coordinator jobs, but not many will be willing to leave a high profile job to be a position coach at Pine Tree. Not bashing PT, the same would be said for a lot of schools. It's hard to leave a top tier program unless it's for a chance as a coordinator or a lot more money.