What a finish!

LilEagle

Argyle vs Celina girls basketball regional final. Double overtime with horrible ending. Watch it and you make the call. So many times as fans we say how awful the refs are and how our team got cheated, but this is a horrible way to go out.

Similar thing happened to Tatum girls back in 1989 I believe. Tatum was down by three and Tatum tried a 3 pointer and missed, but got rebound and put it back up and foul was called. The shot was counted but refs said the foul happened after the buzzer and lost by one. Hard way to go out, but just shows the girls that life is not always fair.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/high-school/argyle-girls-head-to-final-four-after-apparent-foul-now-called-246796471.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubberhammer I think you might want to watch the video then throw out an opinion.

I did watch the video btex. This isn't Dawson, you don't get ticky tack fouls in the playoffs. Don't you think if the Argyle girl had hacked her hard enough that her arm wouldn't have continued forward in the shooting motion? The video doesn't show the Argyle girl's arm hitting the shooter's arm, it shows her sticking her arm out in front of her body and there's no way you can see contact from that camera angle...

Crazy ending. Not sure exactly what the officials ruled, but you can tell the Argyle player thought she had fouled her. As soon as it happened she had her hands over her head looking like she knew she fouled her. Interesting.

+1. I noticed that also and I was thinking the exact same thing.

If he called travel then you still have people upset, but at least you know the call. It seems like the officials panicked. Should have stayed on court and talked it through then informed both coaches.

+1. This was a big time game. Coaches, players and fans should have been notified of what happened and what didn't happen.

Stop the video on exactly 0:10 of 1:24 and you see one foot on the ground and one still in the air, making it a clear travel. Although, I think the ref blew his whistle for a foul, even though it kinda looks like the Argyle girl surprised the Celina shooter by hitting the ball early in the shot...

Clearly a foul, no traveling. Should have been 3 shots but we can't see if her toe was on the line (?) She hacked the dog out of her and the Argyle girl knew it -- look at her expression. The bad thing is they called it -- then changed it. I refereed BBall for 20 years, 10 in college -- you NEVER change a call like that UNLESS they deemed the shot after the buzzer -- and then the foul would have to be flagrant. It wasn't flagrant. Did the 3 officials ask for help from the table to see if the buzzer went off before the shot? Hmmmm. Hansen doesn't say that . . . there are no replays in HS. Just a bad deal.

The other angle on youtube posted CLEARLY shows a foul and she should have been awarded 3 shots. Again, no travel because she takes one step, both feet come down at the same time, and she shoots (jump stop) had one foot come up before the shot, yes, traveling. BOTH feet left the floor at the same time -- no traveling.

I agree with Matt. It should've been a foul, and the girl should've been awarded 3 free throws. There's no guarantee the girl would've hit the free throws, but she still should've gotten the opportunity. The refs were very unprofessional, and need to be reprimanded for running off the court in a big game like that without an explanation. I don't know how they could've justified not explaining what the call was before running off the court like that. Tough break for the Celina girls.

The other angle on youtube posted CLEARLY shows a foul and she should have been awarded 3 shots. Again, no travel because she takes one step, both feet come down at the same time, and she shoots (jump stop) had one foot come up before the shot, yes, traveling. BOTH feet left the floor at the same time -- no traveling.

Clearly you didn't stop the youtube video at the 0:10 mark because it shows one foot down and the other in the air, deeming a step when it should've been both feet hitting the floor at the same time. Travelling violation, case closed.

Crazy ending. Not sure exactly what the officials ruled, but you can tell the Argyle player thought she had fouled her. As soon as it happened she had her hands over her head looking like she knew she fouled her. Interesting.

Also check out the ref. He pauses and slows down twice as if he was going to call the foul. The other ref runs him off the court... The final ref was like "WTH just happened??? Why didn't you call that???"

Clearly you didn't stop the youtube video at the 0:10 mark because it shows one foot down and the other in the air, deeming a step when it should've been both feet hitting the floor at the same time. Travelling violation, case closed.

So the travelling violation is called by the ref rolling his hands to signal a travel right? The ref blew his whistle to signal a stop in play or a violation, but he just ran off of the court. Therefore, NOTHING, NOTTA, No BEUNO, NO VIOLATION HAPPENED! How do draw the conclusion that travelling was the call? YOU CAN'T! So it may appear to be travelling, it may appear to be a foul, but we don't really know what happened except the ref, blew his whistle to stop play and did NOTHING!

So the only case to be closed is the coulda shoulda wouldas here. There was clear contact, and probable travelling. Who knows what was actually going to be call. Our answer ran off the court like a scared dog.