Wells offered and accepts AD/FB Coaching Job at Liberty-Eylau...

Smoaky

I made this account just to post on this form, so you could say I feel strongly about this. I was a freshman when coach Wells took over at Jacksonville, meaning that I was there when he started and was his final seniors to send off to the real world. I had four years under him and I loved every minute of it. He was a great man and a great coach. The kids at Jacksonville could not have asked for anything better. He brought in a great coaching staff and taught us how to play smash mouth football while also mixing in the newer air it our style. Wells did the best he could with what he had a Jacksonville, we werent the biggest kids, in fact we were quite small, but we had heart because we bought into his system. He taught us that hard work was what would get you to where you wanted to be and that dedication was the catalyst for success. He made us believe that we could win any game that we showed up to and isnt that what coaching is about? You take a group of kids that might not all run in the same groups but despite their differences you make them believe in a common goal and that they can achieve it. That is what he did at Jacksonville. And I am willing to bet that is what he is going to do at LE. The win loss record doesnt always pant the best picture because if we are going to judge success on wins alone I dont know why I am going to school to become coach, I believe that wins are important but not near as important as the lessons that the kids leave with and I guarantee that Wells will do that part. We arent talking about College or NFL football, this is High School Football where I believe that main focus should be the memories and the lessons that the kids can have and if you come out with a couple trophies or rings you are lucky. I am willing to bet that along the way he will bring you some big wins and great moments for your program. I wish yall the best and I hope yall have great success! [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size]

I obviously can't say much about the stadium issues that everyone is talking about but I know that he will fight for the football program and get them the money and the facilities that the program deserves.

Great post...Good to see a little optimism

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most AD's don't want someone on staff that applied for the same job. Don't want someone around that feels they could do their job better, you know? Understandable. And they probably wouldn't want to hang around for years waiting for him to leave.

seems like an AD would want the best staff possible for his student athletes. Great staff reflects on the AD . Makes AD look like a genius. Alot of coaches apply for better jobs in hopes of getting, out of current situation . Alot of times they end up with coordinator jobs anyway..why would you want people on staff that dont feel like they are the best at what they do? How do the student athletes reach their potential with AD bring in sub par coaches? Bringing in the best and brightest just makes sense. If you want the best for your student athletes.

It really is people can keep on making excuses until someone gets hurt the truth is that we really need an upgrade.

Some people were opposed to upgrading some stadiums in the area. For some unknown reason some collapsed with no spectators, others were just commended and ruled unsafe. Those wanting a new stadium could do a little detective work and and find out how this happened.

But the best option is to just skip this step and use some surrounding stadiums.

Hear wells has some coaches leaving . Hear basketball coach is leaving. He doesn't have to look far for a replacement hear there is a basketball coach that can help at the sos school. Hear he played D1 college basketball and was great coach for LE in the past. Hear baseball coach is leaving too. Some say baseball team could be a lot better because some of the best players are on jv team because of politics and move ins. Looks llike wells really going to be busy with interviews in the coming weeks.

Whoever says the baseball team could be better become some of the best players are on the jv does not know very much about baseball.

I have spent a lot of time around LE baseball, and in my opinion there is only 1 JV player who could play varsity baseball.

I would assume the ones saying this are parents who are mad about their baby not being in the spotlight...

I will give Coach Cauley credit, he's doing a good job with what he has to work with..

seems like an AD would want the best staff possible for his student athletes. Great staff reflects on the AD . Makes AD look like a genius. Alot of coaches apply for better jobs in hopes of getting, out of current situation . Alot of times they end up with coordinator jobs anyway..why would you want people on staff that dont feel like they are the best at what they do? How do the student athletes reach their potential with AD bring in sub par coaches? Bringing in the best and brightest just makes sense. If you want the best for your student athletes.

I understand what you're saying, but still stand by what I said. And most (not all) coordinators applying for HC jobs aren't in bad situations. Just looking for their first HC gig. And most HC's again, not all, hire coordinators they already know. Very rarely do they post a coordinator's job and hire someone they have no connections to.

leopardforlife- you crack me up... what was your handle on here before you changed it?

you claim old threads were removed for politics, which wasn't the case... basically say you wanted an outside hire for football... yet for basketball, you have wanted an inside hire twice... allude to a coach who got in trouble that would have made a good hoops coach (not denying that he would have, and he got a raw deal w that situation, but they cant give it to him after that played out)... now you have mentioned twice about this guy who needs to be the next head coach who is already on staff.... is he even an assistant coach now? you say he is at the sos school, is he a certified teacher? yet you want him, and think he is worthy to be the next head bball coach at a 4A school, and he doesn't even have head coaching experience?!?!?!

posters bring up old fball players who didn't get scholarships- when there are many variables involved (do you know these kids grades/act scores? do you realize they are severely undersized and times are slow for their positions?) ... they bring up a coaches kid who did get a scholarship that played TE and didn't catch a pass.... you do realize in some offenses the TE is pass pro and run blocking only? you know this kids grades, size and speed for the position???

the football illiteracy on some of the LE posters is astounding...

leopardforlife- you crack me up... what was your handle on here before you changed it?

you claim old threads were removed for politics, which wasn't the case... basically say you wanted an outside hire for football... yet for basketball, you have wanted an inside hire twice... allude to a coach who got in trouble that would have made a good hoops coach (not denying that he would have, and he got a raw deal w that situation, but they cant give it to him after that played out)... now you have mentioned twice about this guy who needs to be the next head coach who is already on staff.... is he even an assistant coach now? you say he is at the sos school, is he a certified teacher? yet you want him, and think he is worthy to be the next head bball coach at a 4A school, and he doesn't even have head coaching experience?!?!?!

posters bring up old fball players who didn't get scholarships- when there are many variables involved (do you know these kids grades/act scores? do you realize they are severely undersized and times are slow for their positions?) ... they bring up a coaches kid who did get a scholarship that played TE and didn't catch a pass.... you do realize in some offenses the TE is pass pro and run blocking only? you know this kids grades, size and speed for the position???

posters bring up old fball players who didn't get scholarships- when there are many variables involved (do you know these kids grades/act scores? do you realize they are severely undersized and times are slow for their positions?) ... they bring up a coaches kid who did get a scholarship that played TE and didn't catch a pass.... you do realize in some offenses the TE is pass pro and run blocking only? you know this kids grades, size and speed for the position??apparently you don't have a clue about LE . you can ask the same questions about half the the current staff and you would be surprised at the answers to ALL your questions.

Wiseguy baseball hasnt been that good since coach rick fowler. So now you blaming kids for baseball shortcomings? That's what it sounds like! The people I have been talking to don't have kids playing they just love LE baseball. You can't get sensitive about what people see going on. And yes politics doesn't care about winning because you and I both know its about staff employee and friends kids playing a lot of the time. A lot of pg people don't like Jones because he refuses to play politics. And just look at his results!

+1 for some of you stuff...

tough for schools to pay for AD and HFC... especially smaller ones... don't know of any in area that do it... metroplex and Houston area, yes...

kids come and go in cycles... have a tough time believing any coach isn't playing the best who give him an opportunity to win...

+1 for some of you stuff...

tough for schools to pay for AD and HFC... especially smaller ones... don't know of any in area that do it... metroplex and Houston area, yes...

kids come and go in cycles... have a tough time believing any coach isn't playing the best who give him an opportunity to win...

Agree, it's hard for most schools to pay for an AD and a HC. Most HC's wouldn't take a good at a smaller school if the AD title wasn't connected because the pay would be so much less.Fir instance most schools around the size of LE pay their AD/HC $80,000-90,000 . (At a school that's not winning championships so don't throw Carthage/Gilmer/Tatum in the mix). So of you seperate the AD/HC position most schools this size could only afford to pay the Head football coach $50,000-60,000. That's a big pay decrease for all the hours of work they put in. Someone would take the job. Just saying you don't get as many high profile coaches wanting the job when they can go somewhere else, make $20,000 more and be the AD. Or go to the metroplex, make $20,000 more and just be the HC.

Longview did it for a long time, I could be wrong but I think King has AD in his title now, right? Whitehouse has a separate AD and HC after they let McFarlin go. But you're right, not common in this area.

Hear wells has some coaches leaving . Hear basketball coach is leaving. He doesn't have to look far for a replacement hear there is a basketball coach that can help at the sos school. Hear he played D1 college basketball and was great coach for LE in the past. Hear baseball coach is leaving too. Some say baseball team could be a lot better because some of the best players are on jv team because of politics and move ins. Looks llike wells really going to be busy with interviews in the coming weeks.

We need football assistants leaving lol

Leopard4life:

I was not blaming kids for anything?

I simply said I think Cauley is doing a good job with what he has...if you know anything about LE baseball you

know the numbers have gone down. There used to be 2 JV teams and a varsity now there is only 1 JV team.

LE just has not had a good flow of baseball players the past years. In 2009 the varsity started 7 sophomores...

I know how bad politics are at LE, trust me...but politics has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of success in baseball

in recent years. It has simply been a lack of baseball players, LE has a lot of kids playing that did not play baseball

prior to high school, a lot of them played til they were 9 or 10 years old and then quit playing until high school. It's

extremely hard to take kids like that and go beat teams like PG whose roster has played baseball year round their entire

life. The 2011 team had 2 players that played competitive baseball during the summer, PG's entire varsity played in the

summer.

Fowler knew he was leaving that coaching position at the right time because the LE baseball pipeline was running dry in the coming years.

Coach Middlebrooks taking the job was not the reason the baseball success fell off, he had nowhere near the teams Fowler had.

I would like for you to show me 2 kids on the LE varsity baseball team that play because of politics....

there is only one on the varsity roster...

The kids playing at LE are giving it all they've got... I am not taking that away from them.

I was really just replying to your other post because seriously... there is one kid on the JV that is good enough right now to

play varsity baseball. He plays highly competitive baseball during the summer.. and on JV he has to fill in where they

need him, he is not even playing his best position.

The kids playing at LE are giving it all they've got... I am not taking that away from them.

I was really just replying to your other post because seriously... there is one kid on the JV that is good enough right now to

play varsity baseball. He plays highly competitive baseball during the summer.. and on JV he has to fill in where they

need him, he is not even playing his best position.

I can agree to what your saying when fowler left their was a dry talent pool for a couple of years Coach C does a great job...

The girls basketball coach is in a similar situation.. Coachran couldn't do anything with the girls this year if he stayed and I dare someone to state otherwise

Wiseguy did some research. 1 varsity team and 2 jv teams (red jv and white jv) . Red is advanced players and white is mostly younger players. 4 varsity ready players. Jv number good almost 30 student athletes. Also hear they lost a jv player to injury for the season. Hear jv has 2 pretty good pitchers. All red jv kids have played baseball since they were small kids. So have a few of the jv white. Several of these kids were dixie allstars and played some select and summer ball. Also i never criticized any of the coaches you mentioned just said i heard they were leaving. You took that and ran with. Basically running down those players after 2007 and their parents who spent many years in youth and dixie and traveling ball getting their kids ready for high school ball. Talking about illiterate and hipocracy . Wow.

lots of schools in the metroplex share football fields. If your tax base is low them put your money else where and use another school's field for the home games.

Except the fact---You have got a new coach come in and support him and give him a good chance.

Work on something you can improve on, the stadium.

Playing at a near by field and putting the money you have to help the program in other areas. JV and sub varsity games could be played at opponents field, two years running.