athletics director not letting kids practice baseball

dtadad

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids are supposed to be practicing baseball. The AD doesn't care about anything else but football . The kids tthat are in offseason aren't even doing weights etc there being told to stand at attention and hold there hands a certain way and only respond like in the military. It took fighting for the varsity to even practice baseball . On the colleges I didn't back this info but was told it did happen by several of them.

Why is this the case? Whether it is baseball, basketball, tennis, golf, etc, if that sport is in season, why should those kids and those coaches go through a workout before going to their sport which is in season? I always believed that the purpose of an athletic program, was for all the programs, both boys and girls, to be successful.

Too Bad So Sad! Unfortunately, thats the way it is in small school athletics. Ad/Football coach will not get fired for losing baseball games but he will for losing football games. Two possible solutions, find a small school that wins in baseball or move to a big school where they have baseball athletic period.

So, as far as the workouts go, you are saying it is best for the kids to go through a full off season or track workout, and then go to baseball? How is that going to help the kids when they get to practice? They have chose to play baseball and it seems as if they are being told that their sport of choice is not important.

My kid plays both. He loves football and baseball. It's just pretty stupid. It would be different if they were in offseason but there playing a sport that's in season. An hour and half of practice a few days a week won't cut it with 18 kids plus varsity.

This is a sore subject for a lot of folks. Our kids have had to do such activities during all sports ie basketball and baseball. I argue the point that it hasn't helped them anymore than them getting ready for their sport they are in. For years my son had to lift weights the day he pitched or played basketball. They have suspended that for now.

Kids are supposed to be practicing baseball. The AD doesn't care about anything else but football . The kids tthat are in offseason aren't even doing weights etc there being told to stand at attention and hold there hands a certain way and only respond like in the military. It took fighting for the varsity to even practice baseball . On the colleges I didn't back this info but was told it did happen by several of them.

Why should they be practicing baseball during the athletic period. It is not the baseball period. It is called athletics for a reason. You do things during the athletic period that helps you in all sports. The boot camp will not last all year. If they get through it they will be better for it. I hope parents like yourself don't mess this up. Be patient and let your baseball coach - coach them up after school.

90% of small schools do not let their kids practice baseball during the period except on game days. Baseball is considered an after school sport. This is nothing new and will continue.

As far as the boot camp. I have problems believing what you are saying they do. Most Boot Camps are about strict discipline but they do it and enforce it during exercise. I have never heard of any coach not doing weights, agility, and conditioning as part of boot camp. Boot Camp gives the kids discipline, it gives them a sense of ownership, and a sense of winning. The perfect day is something the kids strive for and when it is achieved the kids take extreme pride in it.

Do me a favor and go up to the school and watch it. See if it is how you portray it, or if your kid is "embellishing". I would bet that your kid isn't telling you the whole truth.

And the college e-mails..... about the stupidest thing I have ever read on SDC. You lost all credibility on that point alone. Not 1 college coach cares about how a school runs their off-season program, let alone 5. And none of them would ever be presumptive enough to e-mail a coach and tell him he is wrong.

I am calling BS on everything in your post.

You tell me why you would post a lie...... You posted a lie when you said 5 DI college coaches have emailed him about it being wrong. Why would I believe anything else you say.

And lets see..... a disgruntled kid who is being forced to be disciplined and work hard has never told a lie or embellished anything ever.....

Really, go see for yourself and then come post about it.

2 hours with two teams is nothing

I've been coaching softball for 20 yrs and a 2 hr practice with 2 teams is a long practice. Dude has assistants right? Use them, then he only has to coach 1/2 or a 1/3 depending on how many assistants he has.

There must be a lot of standing around because 2hrs of a well planned practice is a lot of baseball flying in all kinds of directions.

Absolutely!!!! If I have a 2 hr practice the kids need to ice their arms after. No standing around in my practices. You are either getting reps in defensively or hitting stations at all times. 2 hrs is plenty.

The purpose of the athletic period should be to build athletes. I hope you would agree that being disciplined and working as a team is also an important part of being successful no matter what the sport. In small schools you must share athletes and if baseball and track kids went to their sport each day they would never have the opportunity to work together, and have leaders emerge. I hope that molding kids into leaders and productive citizens is the most important thing. As a parent, I hope it is for where my child attends! I think we all need to look at the big picture more than wins and losses, but that will probably never happen.

I think he wants his kid to practice baseball during the period during baseball season. No lifting, running etc. but really not sure.

not kid. But the team. They chose to play baseball . Workout some but after baseball start heavy workout. It's pretty simple. But there not doing either during that period

Ohhhh.

I see nothing wrong with bootcamp. It's what? Two, three weeks at the most?

I experienced John Crawford bootcamps.

Weights, mat drills, creosote poles, 12-400s, 40-40s... You name it.

Did the baseball team suffer? Nope. Playoffs and/or district champs every year.

Had the option to do it on game days. If we didn't then we had to make it up running 400s.

Wish more schools around here did it.