athletics director not letting kids practice baseball

dtadad

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose to play football and run track in high school. I knew I was going to have lift and then go to track practice and there was nothing I could. Sine I wanted to do both I knew that's what I had to do. You and your son need to stop crying. If you and your son have I problem with it pick one sport or just shut up and do what you have to do.

there is no lifting or strengthen going on in this period of athletics

Ok I have read all the posts and here is the reality

Theirs 2 kinds of AD/Football Coaches from 3A to 1A

First kind, one that does not care about any other sport but football. Off season will consist of a FOOTBALL OFF SEASON. Everything will be directly correlated to get stronger faster and quicker for only football. Why? Because if he wins in football he keeps his job. This kind of AD will hire all football coaches and a few of them will be assigned other sports just to fill the spots. This AD will run off any coaches that care about any other sports or show resistance to his FOOTBALL OFF SEASON.

This AD's Athletic period, which should be called football period, will be in Football season practice football during the period and lift about 15 mins only 2 days a week during the period. After football is over all Athletes will be involved in a FOOTBALL OFF SEASON. Which the AD will call it just OFF SEASON for political purporses. Only on game days will the "other sports" be able to not workout, but in some cases they will still be made to workout even though its against UIL rules on game day.

Second kind of AD, one that cares about all sports not just football. During football season would be the same. Football will be practice during the period and maybe 15 mins 2 days a week will be weight lifting. In this type of AD's off season it will look one of two ways. First way would be in season sports would lift with off season 2 days a week and the other 3 days they go to there specific sport. Or the second way would be the in season athletes come in the morning to get there weight lifting done 2 days a week and then they would be able to practice there sport during the period all 5 days.

Usually the second kind of AD lasts a heck of a lot longer than the first kind, but there are some places they want there AD to win FOOTBALL games at all cost, because remember this is TEXAS and most people want to win big in football and just be ok in the other sports.

Its all about what the Administration lets the AD get away with. And you will never have another sports coach complain because if he does he will prolly be fired or ran out of town by the AD

This all sounds like rumor and speculation to me... Where's the proof? And if you are fed up with it, then take it to the authorities in the situation, there is nothing we can do here as gossipers on Smoaky anyways :)

So this is either Maud, which it can not be since they have had D1 players in past or Carlise. Since only two schools in Smoaky range with 8-3 records.

Now we have another person either the original created a new name or this is the other parent complaining.

Next the original poster stated he was told this by 5 kids, 2 not in baseball. So where did they get info? From parents? Obviously this is a lie, no way around it. Proof is 5 big name colleges emailed coach who is a at a school that has not sent players to play D1 sports.....uh these D1 guys got way too much time on their hands or it is a lie plain and simple.

"The boys are not beign limited to 1 1/2 hour practice...the issue is the boys are being "REQUIRED" to do football strength training everyday not only for the athletic period but as an extra 30 minutes after the period before they can attend their baseball practice."

so with this statement and the fact that baseball coach has been spoken too how does this effect the kids practice time? Also according to other poster they are not lifting, he stated this several times. So again who is misinformed?

Lots of holes in this story. I suggest the two of you get together and decide what is actually happening. Kids are required to do track so when is this practiced? Must be after weights, so it starts at say 4:15 and goes for what an hour? 5:15. Then off to baseball 5:30-7:30.....is this about right?

As for boot camp and the kids playing.....does it take discipline to play a sport? Any sport? I mean we all know plate discipline but what about in the field? Does it take discipline to know where to throw the ball. how to field, which foot is forward, overall foot work, etc?

Pretty sure its not Carlisle. 2013 State Baseball Champions would mean the baseball coach might have a little pull within the system. But i've been wrong before. especially since this is all about baseball and not track or tennis or whatever there is.

I chose to play football and run track in high school. I knew I was going to have lift and then go to track practice and there was nothing I could. Sine I wanted to do both I knew that's what I had to do. You and your son need to stop crying. If you and your son have I problem with it pick one sport or just shut up and do what you have to do.

Obviously you didn't read all the comments....Most of the kids aren't palying two sports they are just playing baseball but not being allowed to practice baseball...at our school baseball has never been an after school sport

Pretty sure its not Carlisle. 2013 State Baseball Champions would mean the baseball coach might have a little pull within the system. But i've been wrong before. especially since this is all about baseball and not track or tennis or whatever there is.

I made a mistake saying there isn't lifting etc. The point I'm making is they should dedicated to baseball for the ones who are playing. And the ones in offseason working out

I guess the kid must be at military ROTC school what you expect?

what kid?? There is way more than one lid playing. ROTC is not even in the school..

what kid?? There is way more than one lid playing. ROTC is not even in the school..

*kid

It's offseason instead of the kids working out during athletics the kids are kept to what being called boot camp. They have to stand at attention and answer questions while being forced to act like it's boot camp military. I know it's not making sense but this is what's going on. Now on to baseball. These coaches don't care for baseball and won't let the kids go to practice but yet instead make them attend this boot camp. There excuse is there making the kids Champions. Kids are forced to run track instead of playing baseball. The AD is hiding and not answering anything. The kids heard the baseball coach is not part of this but yet is not saying anything because he is being told what to do i'm guessing afraid of being terminated. I 7th et stang working out during offseason but this camp is ridiculous. The AD has been emailed by several big name colleges telling them this is useless. I had over 5 parents yesterday fed up along with kids complaining. School Board seems to be in the back pocket of the AD. So what now?? Can the state or UIL get involved. And yes my kid is one of them that don't get to practice during athletics. .

Bootcamp during athletics are stupid and so is this post.

I would be pretty upset if my kid was forced to do off-season football work if he was playing baseball. I know in Lufkin that this is not a problem. They have it set where you choose your specific sport. Seems like these small schools need to get with the program. Having a kid lifting weights the day he pitched is really stupid. I dont understand how an adult would allow this to happen especially the guy calling shots. It called athletics which means it can be any athletic sport. I would simply move my son to another school if this ever happens to me but from experience this is a non issue at larger schools.

Lifting, running, etc. during the period will help them get better and stronger. It doesn't matter if they play football or not. And I don't understand the only being allowed to practice 1 1/2 hours a day part. You said they are being told they have to stay until 4 (which yes, is against UIL rules, but let's be honest here, most schools are "highly encouraging" their kids to work out after school. And most coaches will be on a kid who doesn't do so...and they should) So these kids can go to baseball practice at 4 and they are done by 5:30? That is a big problem. I live right by our districts baseball field and those boys are practicing LONG past 5:30.

Lifting, running, etc. during the period will help them get better and stronger. It doesn't matter if they play football or not. And I don't understand the only being allowed to practice 1 1/2 hours a day part. You said they are being told they have to stay until 4 (which yes, is against UIL rules, but let's be honest here, most schools are "highly encouraging" their kids to work out after school. And most coaches will be on a kid who doesn't do so...and they should) So these kids can go to baseball practice at 4 and they are done by 5:30? That is a big problem. I live right by our districts baseball field and those boys are practicing LONG past 5:30.

No they practice longer then 5:30 usually 6:30 or later, but NOT allowed to go to the in season sport until after 4. The whole point of this post was asking for "HELP" with what would you as parents do or who would be the best person to talk to about this situation other then the AD. The AD is pushing it under the rug...and basically has the super in his pocket and no questions are being answered to parents. There is no reason for any of you BIG school guys to get on here and give your opinion of what you think is stupid or that you don't believe this or that comment.

there not going to practice hitting or anything baseball related so why can it be both ways.

If they aren't going to do anything baseball related why not keep everyone in the athletic period together? Is the baseball coach also a football coach? Maybe that's part of the AD's reasoning is to have another coach in the period if they all stay together for off season. I'm not trying to "big school" you. I've been around small schools too. That's why I'm asking.