athletics director not letting kids practice baseball

dtadad

If they aren't going to do anything baseball related why not keep everyone in the athletic period together? Is the baseball coach also a football coach? Maybe that's part of the AD's reasoning is to have another coach in the period if they all stay together for off season. I'm not trying to "big school" you. I've been around small schools too. That's why I'm asking.

baseball coach helps our in footbakl. But is not a football coach.

The head coach and AD are dreaming of a state championship is my guess

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a sore subject for a lot of folks. Our kids have had to do such activities during all sports ie basketball and baseball. I argue the point that it hasn't helped them anymore than them getting ready for their sport they are in. For years my son had to lift weights the day he pitched or played basketball. They have suspended that for now.

I was strength and conditioning coordinator at the school during that time, and I fussed I didn't have the boys enough. Strength is a good thing no matter the sport. Don't remember having varsity baseball in the weight room on Fridays after Samples left. Basketball varsity boys were with Huck during the period and he preceded Barnhart. Now JV, was a different bird. I did play jv boys in basketball games after running on Tuesday and on Fridays after squatting, ol Hayden griped at me all the time about dead legs......................LOL We could have spent more time practicing basketball, but we won more than we lost and had a great time.

All male students should go thru a 3 to 5 wk bootcamp every year and all males should serve a year in the military upon graduation. I bet crime would drop a bit and hard work and discipline within our society would go up a few notches.

I have $100 that says baseball team never comes close to 8 hour rule which makes this whole during the period argument really petty. It is all about getting what a few want and not looking at the whole. Has nothing to do with team not getting enough practice. You want to know what to do? Start thinking whole instead of part and see where real issue is, because it is not what is going on in period that is a problem.

+1

This is laughable and I cannot believe this has gone on for 7 pages!!! I'm almost positive there is at least one ignorant baseball parent like you in every school in the state!

It's funny that this topic came up I was actually talking to a big time retired baseball coach earlier this week about parents like you. This guy has been to the state tournament several times and has won at least one state title that I can think of. He has two sons that currently play D1 baseball. His philosophy was that his kids need be strong and they lifted every single day even on game day (except for pitchers).

It makes sense. What professional sport has the most issues with steroids?? BASEBALL because the stronger you are the harder you can hit the ball, harder you can throw, faster you can run etc.

Look at a college baseball team. Those guys are built like brick houses because they have been in the weight room!

You can have all the baseball skill in the world but if you are weak as a kitten it doesn't matter you will be looked over and passed up.

This is laughable and I cannot believe this has gone on for 7 pages!!! I'm almost positive there is at least one ignorant baseball parent like you in every school in the state!

It's funny that this topic came up I was actually talking to a big time retired baseball coach earlier this week about parents like you. This guy has been to the state tournament several times and has won at least one state title that I can think of. He has two sons that currently play D1 baseball. His philosophy was that his kids need be strong and they lifted every single day even on game day (except for pitchers).

It makes sense. What professional sport has the most issues with steroids?? BASEBALL because the stronger you are the harder you can hit the ball, harder you can throw, faster you can run etc.

Look at a college baseball team. Those guys are built like brick houses because they have been in the weight room!

You can have all the baseball skill in the world but if you are weak as a kitten it doesn't matter you will be looked over and passed up.

Great post

Ok I have read all the posts and here is the reality

Theirs 2 kinds of AD/Football Coaches from 3A to 1A

First kind, one that does not care about any other sport but football. Off season will consist of a FOOTBALL OFF SEASON. Everything will be directly correlated to get stronger faster and quicker for only football. Why? Because if he wins in football he keeps his job. This kind of AD will hire all football coaches and a few of them will be assigned other sports just to fill the spots. This AD will run off any coaches that care about any other sports or show resistance to his FOOTBALL OFF SEASON.

This AD's Athletic period, which should be called football period, will be in Football season practice football during the period and lift about 15 mins only 2 days a week during the period. After football is over all Athletes will be involved in a FOOTBALL OFF SEASON. Which the AD will call it just OFF SEASON for political purporses. Only on game days will the "other sports" be able to not workout, but in some cases they will still be made to workout even though its against UIL rules on game day.

Second kind of AD, one that cares about all sports not just football. During football season would be the same. Football will be practice during the period and maybe 15 mins 2 days a week will be weight lifting. In this type of AD's off season it will look one of two ways. First way would be in season sports would lift with off season 2 days a week and the other 3 days they go to there specific sport. Or the second way would be the in season athletes come in the morning to get there weight lifting done 2 days a week and then they would be able to practice there sport during the period all 5 days.

Usually the second kind of AD lasts a heck of a lot longer than the first kind, but there are some places they want there AD to win FOOTBALL games at all cost, because remember this is TEXAS and most people want to win big in football and just be ok in the other sports.

Its all about what the Administration lets the AD get away with. And you will never have another sports coach complain because if he does he will prolly be fired or ran out of town by the AD

Bingo!!

My son is a senior and plays baseball only. His team lifts 2 days a week and on those days they dont lift and pitchers only throw. My son is in weightroom 3 other days a week on his own. Only day he doesn't lift is game day.

He is 5'11 and 195lbs with goal of 210 by time reports to school this summer. Weight room and then long toss is what college coach said is priority this summer

what kid?? There is way more than one lid playing. ROTC is not even in the school..

*kid

The kid that was standing in the boot camp line. Man my folk sent me to military school once believe it or not. I missed a hole year of b-team tennis cause of them stupid lines.

This thread is near comical! It's very common practice for kids enrolled in athletics to go through off season during the athletic period and go to their respective sports after school! There are some exceptions I'm sure, but this is pretty much how most schools do it! I used to get my basketball kids on game days only while in season... Every other day they were in off season! Just sounds like some kids are afraid of a little hard work to me!?

This thread is near comical! It's very common practice for kids enrolled in athletics to go through off season during the athletic period and go to their respective sports after school! There are some exceptions I'm sure, but this is pretty much how most schools do it! I used to get my basketball kids on game days only while in season... Every other day they were in off season! Just sounds like some kids are afraid of a little hard work to me!?

Exactly!

Not sure what the exact question is since the original post has been erased.

But in twenty five years of Coaching I have seen baseball parents be the first to complain about not getting to practice during the athletic period more than all other sports combined. Why is it that baseball should be given priority over all other sports and allow participants to skip the athletic period and the accompanying lifting and running when no other sport gets to do that?

In a perfect program NOBODY gets to practice their sport during the period but rather ALL participants lift and run to improve basic athletic skills.

In my early years coaching it seemed every year I had to listen to parents complain that lifting weights was going to "ruin Juniors pitching arm and keep him from getting a college scholarship" so often that every year on the first of February I would start carrying around Nolan Ryan's weight and conditioning work out to show that lifting weights and running on a DAILY basis did not seem to hurt him any. I have news for you baseball parents, if you think that your son should not be lifting weights he better not plan on playing at the next level! I have seen the weight workouts for the baseball programs in most Texas D-1 schools and Jucos and they are MUCH more strenuous than the average HS weight workout. And they will do it year round. Those that think they do not need to lift will find out in about two seconds that their scholarship will be yanked and given to someone who has no problem doing what the coaches see fit to do.

If having to lift and run is too much of a chore to participate in athletics then you should not be in athletics.

I'm getting off topic here and may get bashed, but just for clarification... I have a friend that is over the baseball strength and conditioning program for the University of Texas. He came to my wedding a few months back and as we were partying, he started to talk about how some of the guys that came to Texas as freshmen that played straight baseball were the weakest kids he had ever seen. Also said that the guys that were dual sport guys, mostly football, were really good in the weightroom. I asked if he had any guys that were straight baseballers from small schools and he said no, that most straight baseballers were from big schools and had no core. Also, regarding juco lifting, the best jucos, which he and I played for 2 of the best in Texas, didn't lift a weight as advised by the coaching staff. If you lifted, it was on your own. I've heard of some jucos lifting, but they didn't win many games. Not enough time in juco ball to lift...

I think that a universal offseason( hate the term offseason, cause you shoul be working as hard as ever) is fine as long as every sport and season is treated the same. For example, if there is no baseball in the period there shouldn't be football or basketball in the period. Have a true universal strength program.

I think the complaints come when one sport is given preference and one is given the crooked shaft.

I think that a universal offseason( hate the term offseason, cause you shoul be working as hard as ever) is fine as long as every sport and season is treated the same. For example, if there is no baseball in the period there shouldn't be football or basketball in the period. Have a true universal strength program.

I think the complaints come when one sport is given preference and one is given the crooked shaft.

BINGO!! I tried to explain this several posts ago but got the same dumb a reply about how football was the "King" in Texas. the problem I thought was that the AD was having a "Universal" offseason while the FB program worked on football. I have seen alot of Uinversal offseason operate something like this.......Football does drills while everyone else has "Universal" grab butt session in the weightroom while all coaches work football except the first year guy who wants to be all the kids favorite coach hangs out with the AYO's (All you others) in the weightroom. May have been wrong but that is how I took it. And for the record, I am as pro weights as you can get. Played for a Nationally ranked top 5 JUCO program and they killed us in the weightroom so baseball kids will get no sympathy from me for having to lift.

Yep good baseball programs will lift. Of course in the season the reps and percentage will change. Whatever sport the kid plays they should not be required to lift on their game or meet day. Matter of fact it is a UIL rules violation