13-3A Baseball

WiseGuy

Paris gets a gritty pitching effort from Jake Clark, on 4 days' rest, and completes the series sweep over North Lamar, 5-3, Wednesday night. Clark gave up 7 hits, walked none, struck out 3, and hit a batter. Brandon Dusenberry went the distance for NL (7 hits, 2 HB, 5 BB, 4 K).

That leaves NL and PG in tie for first at 6-3. No real effect on Friday's game. The winner gets the No. 1 seed and outright title. NL gets No. 2 seed if it loses. A PG loss could mean a tie for 2nd if Pitt beats Atlanta.

Pitt 5-4, Atlanta and Paris both 4-5.

Scenarios (to the best of my math):

• If Pitt beats Atlanta and PG wins, Pitt has No. 3 seed
  • If Atlanta beats Pitt and Paris beats L-E, there's a 3-way tie which would be settled by coin toss for No. 3 and a play-in game for No. 4
  • If Atlanta beats Pitt and Paris loses to L-E, Atlanta gets No. 3 and Pitt gets No. 4
  • If Atlanta loses to Pitt and Paris wins, Paris is No. 4
  • If Atlanta and Paris both lose, there's a play-in for No. 4.

It's been a very competitive district season.

This has been one of the most unpredictable seasons. Parity and some close wins have been prominent, so many ifs and could'ves that would have made the standings completely different. Much better than the standard rankings of first swept second swept third swept fourth, etc.

Just heard on 94.1 ESPN radio that Pleasant Grove beat North Lamar for the 13-3A District title.

Congrats to The Hawks.

Now, Coach Jones will seek that unprecedented 7th trip to Austin to seek the State Title.

One game at a time, one series at a time.

Divide up into your respective camps now, and let the real season begin.

Trey Jeans threw a 1-hitter. Typical PG small ball. They walk a pair in the 7th, get a bunt single down the 3B line that isn't fielded to load the bases, sacrifice fly to score the run. Hawks ran into multiple outs in the game, but didn't need much to back up Jeans. So PG is No. 1, NL No. 2.

Liberty-Eylau destroyed Paris, 11-4. Currently Pittsburg leads Atlanta 5-1 in the 6th. A win gives Pitt the No. 3 seed and means Atlanta and Paris would play Monday at NTCC for No. 4 seed.

I don't know that the start time for Monday's play-in game has been announced. Last I heard it was either to be 6 or 7.

Anyway, it should be a pitching rematch of their district opener: Jeffery Thomas (Atlanta) vs. Jake Clark (Paris). Atlanta won that one at home, 2-1. Either way, the prospects don't look promising for the survivor . . . they face state-ranked Crandall in bi-district. Other first-round matchups are much more favorable vs. sub-.500 teams:

• PG vs. Kaufman
  • NL vs. Emory Rains
  • Pitt vs. Wills Point

It was the most competitive district race I've seen since Paris dropped to 3A six years ago. The records showed that any team could knock off another on a given night.

Paris has a tough challenge getting by state-ranked Crandall in the first round. The other three should advance to area if they take care of business. Good luck to all.

I am going to predict that LE baseball will be a lot better next year. they have some good young players that didn't get a chance to showcase their talent. I don't agree with wiseguy at all about what coach has to work with ! you have to play your best players to win games . you have to have tryouts for positions and make student athlete work to earn and keep positions. that's what playoff programs do.

• 2 weeks later...