Summer sportswriting ideas

Hayseed

School is about to let out soon and i will be looking for things to write about for our local county newspaper. Besides the obvious, fishing, TPWD events, 7 on 7, little league and 5K's, what would you guys think that i could fill up the sports-pages with?

School is about to let out soon and i will be looking for things to write about for our local county newspaper. Besides the obvious, fishing, TPWD events, 7 on 7, little league and 5K's, what would you guys think that i could fill up the sports-pages with?

Golf course reviews...I could eat some space with those bad boys...Throw in a few pictures of the course and you are in good shape

High school rodeo also works every once in a while, especially if anyone from the area makes it to the State or National level

The World Cup is also something that I have used to eat a ton of space. Scores/Standings/Brackets can take up a lot of room...

• 2 weeks later...

Golf course reviews...I could eat some space with those bad boys...Throw in a few pictures of the course and you are in good shape

High school rodeo also works every once in a while, especially if anyone from the area makes it to the State or National level

The World Cup is also something that I have used to eat a ton of space. Scores/Standings/Brackets can take up a lot of room...

Thanks Topher! That helps.

How about a "where are they now?" segment? Catch up with some of the old local legends.

I tried that one once. I really hit up recent grads that went on to play at the collegiate level. I would talk to them about their year and their experiences. Used it to let potential college athletes know what they were getting into with the college athlete lifestyle.

Dominique Wheeler (Texas Tech) and Summer Groholski (Houston) were both really good to use.

Getting ahold of Reginald Davis and his growth at Tech would be a good story.

I would suggest doing just one a week to stretch it out...