Malakoff wins UIL Appeal

If you were my homie, I'd have to take a step back and reevaluate my life.

PS... To save you the trouble of crying I moved the thread you recently started to "other topics"... A thump thump game between former Dallas Cowboys and Longview FD doesn't belong on a HS forum.

You did it because in my previous post I proved your buddy at UG was not a "certified coach". Thats my OPINION.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just said another school, never answering about the ones you listed with no person connected. Again as I said it does happen, you said 95%, which could not even be possible because not even that many people play sports that move.

On the other did the school verify the residence? You are required to physically go to it. And no it is not done a lot more than I think. It is done in about 5% to 7% of people who move. Of those I would say 80% who move for athletic reasons are denied and must sit a year. Of the 20% not caught it is a combination of schools ho do not due their due diligence, parents who rent a place then move out, and parents who conceal their true residence. I would say about 50% of these get caught, and yes you see that almost ever year when a team must forfeit their wins. ALL transfers will sit 1 year and never ever seen a transfer approved in any district.

One more time, years ago Tameka Catching's, daughter of NBA star Harvey Catching's, moved to D/ville after seeing them at a national tournament and talking to a coach there. She moved in with Harvey's sister, who lived not in D/ville. Yet her sister went HS in Chicago. That's 1 (one) example. Get a clue, it happens yearly ! FYI the mama said she worked in Texarkana while the Hooks kid

played at LE. She wasn't just an average player either, she's is at Baylor. Funny the LE coach moved after she graduated.

Mr. Spangler you are wrong there is a very small group in Canton that cares but your opinion fits Canton to a tee.

Carl Spangler has always made negative comments about Canton. I think you are both wrong. There are people who care about athletics in Canton, but until the board steps up and makes some decisions not much can be done.

Carl Spangler has always made negative comments about Canton. I think you are both wrong. There are people who care about athletics in Canton, but until the board steps up and makes some decisions not much can be done.

So true, how many times can board members ignore whats going on.

I can not imagine the UIL even thinking about denying this family. What kind of precedent would be set if you moved your family, bought a house moved your business and then your kids could not participate? I truly can not believe that Canton of all people would fight this move. Good thing over the past several years that Martins Mill didn't go to the DEC and the UIL over their transfers to Canton.

I can not imagine the UIL even thinking about denying this family. What kind of precedent would be set if you moved your family, bought a house moved your business and then your kids could not participate? I truly can not believe that Canton of all people would fight this move. Good thing over the past several years that Martins Mill didn't go to the DEC and the UIL over their transfers to Canton.

This family has been in Canton forever - I don't know anything about MM, but they did not live in their district.

My point was not that the family was from MM it was that over the last several years over 6 student athletes (exceptional student athletes) have participated in the Canton athletic program while residing in the MM school district. If you have an open door policy of accepting students even though they don't move you really shouldn't have a problem with families leaving especially if they move and completely relocate.

I think it was a good thing that the UIL overturned the DEC because I have to believe that nobody would want to know they had anything to do with a student not being able to participate. I also can understand the bad situation the Supt was in because he had to fight for his school but I bet deep down inside he is happy that the children are going to be allowed to participate at their new school

Over the last 10 years the majority of move's and transfer's are for ATHLETIC reasons. Duncanville, Longview, Allen, Mansfield Summitt, Irving N and Argyle. Brock and Celina are 2 other's.

lol

And yet, you don't mention Denton Guyer who's had three prime quarterbacks move into their school within the last 10 months.

A transfer does not matter if they play sub varsity for a year.

Dude, quit with your input. Everyone knows the rules. This is not a discussion of the rules, kid moved to Malakoff from Canton and Canton checked the box that says they moved for athletic purposes. There's no rules discussion here....move along

Wrong, not everyone knows the rules. If you quit your obsession with btex and read the whole thread you'd see that.

Wrong, everyone posting on this thread knows the rules. The people bantering back and forth are arguing whether or not kids get caught and percentages of who gets caught and what not... It's not a rules discretion here, it's opinion.

Foreveraneagle.

I agree with you totally. If I as a parent want my kid to go to a school that offers more for my child than the district I reside in does then I will do that for my child. If my child was gifted in Band I guarantee you I would send them to Canton.

As for the rules. They are set in place concerning residency and I think as long as you are in accordance with the rule you should be able to play and never lose a year of eligibility. Immediate eligibility for anyone that buys a house and moves to a new district. Why should a student with divorced parents have access to dual residency? Are we saying that if parents get a divorce and the student leaves with a parent he/she can be eligible but if they remain together and move they face a chance of being ineligible. All of this just leaves too much room for discrepancies.

As for the age waiver I completely disagree with anyone being allowed to participate if they turn 19 prior to Sept 1 of their Sr year.

My beef is not with anyone. I just hope that we as parents will always be able to move when we want and not have to worry about our kids facing consequences.

My Dad was a Coach and Administrator. I moved several times while going to school and faced no such consequences. Oops. Hope I didn't step on any toes with that comment.

• 2 weeks later...

If the family moved for athletic purposes... why Malakoff? No disrespect to Malakoff, but why not Gilmer, Van or even Athens? If they don't like it there, do they go to Cross Roads or LaPoyner next?

Van and Athens never make it out of the first round of playoffs, Malakoff does

Baller, if by "never" you mean the past 2 years, lol. Malakoff has 8 playoff wins all time, Canton has 8 playoff wins, Athens has 7 playoff wins vs. Van's 28 playoff wins (4 wins in the past 6 yrs) and winning record in the playoffs (28-23-3). So yeah if those are the choices there is no competition.

If my boys lived in canton and i had a chance for my son to be coached by jamie driskell instead of the canton coach. You bet your bottom dollar I'd sell my house in canton and buy one in malakoff. Everyone needs to let this go. Canton has internal problems that need to be addressed. Malakoff is more stable. Easy choice for a parent

For sure!