PG vs Argyle: 3A Region 2 Semifinal

regaleagle

Well, it looks like old times are here again in baseball....Pleasant Grove vs Argyle for about the 4th time in the regional playoffs. Heck, it could be more times than that...I lost count. But some years it's been Spring Hill, or Argyle was eliminated in the quarterfinals or area rounds. But here we are again....and this season Argyle has the pitching. That's what Argyle has lacked in past seasons....depth of pitching. Overall team hitting isn't quite as good this season, but good enough to beat just about every 3A team we've faced this year. For those of you unaware, the lone loss to Sanger last Friday night(8-6)was the first loss of the season suffered by the Eagles against a 3A or lower team. But that hiccup was quickly rectified on Saturday with 2 convincing wins. Argyle(27-8-1) ended Sanger's season(25-8-1) and 15-game winning streak with quality pitching and timely hitting. Defense was not superb, but just good enough to end innings. This matchup with perennial contender Pleasant Grove will be for the regional title, imo. Both coaches know each other pretty well, so you can expect some good baseball and serious coaching moves. I'd like to hear a little about this season's PG team. I know they are fairly young, but have come together as a formidable team since the playoffs began. But that's about all I know. And then there's the winning tradition. This series represents much to both teams. The winner has a great shot at a state title. Good luck to both squads this week. Go Eagles!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it looks like old times are here again in baseball....Pleasant Grove vs Argyle for about the 4th time in the regional playoffs. Heck, it could be more times than that...I lost count. But some years it's been Spring Hill, or Argyle was eliminated in the quarterfinals or area rounds. But here we are again....and this season Argyle has the pitching. That's what Argyle has lacked in past seasons....depth of pitching. Overall team hitting isn't quite as good this season, but good enough to beat just about every 3A team we've faced this year. For those of you unaware, the lone loss to Sanger last Friday night(8-6)was the first loss of the season suffered by the Eagles against a 3A or lower team. But that hiccup was quickly rectified on Saturday with 2 convincing wins. Argyle(27-8-1) ended Sanger's season(25-8-1) and 15-game winning streak with quality pitching and timely hitting. Defense was not superb, but just good enough to end innings. This matchup with perennial contender Pleasant Grove will be for the regional title, imo. Both coaches know each other pretty well, so you can expect some good baseball and serious coaching moves. I'd like to hear a little about this season's PG team. I know they are fairly young, but have come together as a formidable team since the playoffs began. But that's about all I know. And then there's the winning tradition. This series represents much to both teams. The winner has a great shot at a state title. Good luck to both squads this week. Go Eagles!

What other 2 teams are left in region?

The key to beating PG is playing smart defense. It starts with not allowing walks and cleanly fielding bunts and routine grounders. The Hawks will run into outs with their aggressive base running; you don't want to help them out by making bad or ill-advised throws. Offensively, you've got to be patient at the plate and work counts. All that is easier said than done when you dealing with teenagers.

There's little doubt which 3A baseball program stands at the top of the heap....it's definitely PG. This season College Station(1st season for new school with 4a enrollment numbers and outstanding players) have taken center stage, but it ain't yet decided. And there's quite a few other teams out there that might have a big say in the final outcome of who will be this year's State Champ. Could very well be that neither PG nor CS get to the big dance. IMO, that's just how much quality there is still standing in these playoffs. There are baseball programs at the 3A level now that have made huge strides in development in recent years. I believe this playoff "tournament" this season to be wide open. Just about any team left standing can win it all...if everything falls just right for them. And that's the way it should be. Good luck to all the teams going forward.

I went back a few years, and looked at the State tounament teams. Since PG began their streak, there have been 24 slots in those six years.

PG, of course, has six, Robinson has two, (PG returned the favor of an early exit that they were given the year before by the Rockets.)

The other Sixteen teams appeared only once each.

This, to me indicates it is not just the Jimmys and the Joes, but the X's and the O's.

Players come and go for every school, and teams always lament the passing of a stellar player, or look forward to beating an old rival, now that "Jimmy" has graduated.

To continually reload, and have success is very rare, and at the level Craig has achieved, as indicated by the record, is impressive by any standard.

They constantly seek improvement, and do not rest on their laurels, but they are proud of their tradition.

Surely, one day the record will become fixed, and that team that would lay claim to that feat will deservedly move on.

Argyle will be a worthy opponent, capable of that task.

It will be another epic series.

Looking forward to some high quality baseball.

futfan not to take away from jones, but in my opinion the man who really jump started PG's run was Coach Paul Phillips.

He went to state in 2006 and 2007 with LE, then with PG every year since that up to his retirement from the baseball team last summer.

The man is a phenomenal pitching coach.

back on topic, good luck to the hawks. I have heard Argyle has quite a team this year. Should be a good one to watch!

Good Luck to your Eagles!!!!

I did not intend to leave Paul out, he is a big part of the Xs and Os. What I meant to point out, is that the overall philosophy and system in place is working at a level few have succeeded in maintaining, and none for that long.

Paul also had anothe trip to Austin, If I heard right, he pitched in a Stat Final for Texas High of Texarkana back in his day.

Argyle won tonite with its #3 starter Hunter Markwardt(jr. lefty). Mushinski and Gooch are sittin' there. Gooch(TCU) is the ace, but Mushinski(TTech,lefty) ain't no slouch either. Take your pick....either way it's gonna be tough beating Argyle this season.

From what I've learned, PG started their #3 pitcher last nite against Argyle's #3. I suspect the full monty tonite from PG...nothing held back. They will probably go with their #1 starter against Argyle's #2 Parker Mushinski....just guessing. BTW, all three of Argyle's starters are lefties. The #4 is a righty, but I doubt he will start in this series, although he may pitch. There is very similar history in this series from a couple of years ago, so tonite's game should be very exciting and full of fireworks. I expect Argyle is well aware of what happened the last time, and will be ready for a full out assault from the Hawks. The Eagles have enjoyed a very good season and will not easily relent. The team that makes the least mistakes tonite will win. I look for a close exciting ballgame. For those of you that wish to tune in to the action, you can google up Sportsgram, go to the Argyle/Pleasant Grove heading, and click the LISTEN LIVE button. Of course, that will be the Argyle Broadcasting Network with the Argyle crew calling the game, but they are very baseball savvy and have a great respect for the PG team. But they will naturally favor the Argyle side of the fence, haha. A win tonite for the Eagles knocks PG out of the playoffs and advances Argyle to the regional final next week. A PG win tonite sends the series to a Game 3 tomorrow at 2 pm at the same location in Mount Pleasant. The team that advances will get the winner of the Melissa/North Lamar series next week in the regional final. Good luck to all the teams playing.

Should be a good one tonight. Best arms in 3a baseball go at it tonight. Jeans vs. Gooch is what I am assuming. PG has to do what they can to force game 3. I will be at game 3 if it happens. Good luck to both.

Should be a good one tonight. Best arms in 3a baseball go at it tonight. Jeans vs. Gooch is what I am assuming. PG has to do what they can to force game 3. I will be at game 3 if it happens. Good luck to both.

It's Jeans vs. Mushinski tonight. Gooch closed out the win last night and I wouldn't be surprised to see him again tonight if Argyle is in position to close out the series. Otherwise, he's being saved back for a possible game 3.