Week One: Longview at Lufkin

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No T-shirts please! :):) :) I will not be able to attend, will be in SA to see the Spurs on Sunday. Could not turn down the opportunity to go. Good luck to the Panthers. To be sure, success in 7 on 7 most of the time does not translate to the 11 man playing field, as Lufkin had great success last year making it to the semi-finals of the consolation bracket but going 5-6 in the season. Just good practice for your skill guys. Would really have liked to see our new sophomore Cordell Roger in his first varsity type action as QB and WR. Hopefully will make the State Tourney if Lufkin makes the trip.

I am sort of optimistic about this season. On paper we should be able to score. Coutee and Sowell in the backfield should provide a dynamic punch. Im still unsure how much RB Coutee will actually play but it sounds like a lot. Mark and Rodgers should provide a salty duo at WR as long as Cumbie can accurately throw the football this season. Then the wild card possibility and playing Rodgers at QB which is a movement im in favor for. Offensive line will be really good imo. The offense looks really good on paper and as long as the old turn over bug is kept down they are capable of dropping 40-50 points a game. Problem is the defense is also capable of giving that same amount up. Will have a better idea after our scrimmage.

I am sort of optimistic about this season. On paper we should be able to score. Coutee and Sowell in the backfield should provide a dynamic punch. Im still unsure how much RB Coutee will actually play but it sounds like a lot. Mark and Rodgers should provide a salty duo at WR as long as Cumbie can accurately throw the football this season. Then the wild card possibility and playing Rodgers at QB which is a movement im in favor for. Offensive line will be really good imo. The offense looks really good on paper and as long as the old turn over bug is kept down they are capable of dropping 40-50 points a game. Problem is the defense is also capable of giving that same amount up. Will have a better idea after our scrimmage.

So the star wide out is moving to the backfield...it worked for Lobos at one point in time and it turned out to be a great move.

So the star wide out is moving to the backfield...it worked for Lobos at one point in time and it turned out to be a great move.

Coutee is just one of those kids that has it. He is a nightmare in the slot and is an adequate option at Corner. He played only a handful of plays at RB last season. I wanna say when he was a sophmore he started the season off at RB against JT due to injuries.

Coutee is just one of those kids that has it. He is a nightmare in the slot and is an adequate option at Corner. He played only a handful of plays at RB last season. I wanna say when he was a sophmore he started the season off at RB against JT due to injuries.

Trust me. We all know that Coutee is a home run threat every time the ball is in his hands.

Even though Longview blew out Lufkin last season Coutee still had around 200 total yards I believe..

Think Lufkin needs to further unleash Terry Mark as a vertical threat.

Even though Longview blew out Lufkin last season Coutee still had around 200 total yards I believe..

Yep. Had 189.

He was the only one that really showed up from the 2nd quarter on.

Trust me. We all know that Coutee is a home run threat every time the ball is in his hands.

Think Lufkin needs to further unleash Terry Mark as a vertical threat.

Mark is going to have a huge season. Before his injury in the scrimmage 2 years ago in which he had 150 with 2 tds. He was set up to be the go to sophmore WR. Im not worried about offense outside Cumbie somewhat but that dang defende scares me.

Trey Cumbie does not bother me, he is a senior coming off his first start last year while losing one of his main threats in Jeffery, Coutee and Sowell were banged up toward the end of the season too. Mark was pushed to pick it up the latter part of the season and he did. Different scenario if all those components were healthy last year and Cumbie needed them because he is not going to beat you with his feet. Lots being said about Cordell Rogers and yes he has the potential to be quite good, he will help at WR and spot play at QB in certain packages. However, no time to hand the reigns over to a sophomore with the group we have coming back. Senior leadership means a lot with Cumbie IMO, but having Rogers is a plus too as a backup because he gives the defense a speed option to deal with. This opening game with Longview will be a great test for Lufkin to start the season. Rivalries are great no matter what time of the year they are played and normally Longview and Lufkin usually don't disappoint. How much Lufkin can improve on defense will be the telling story of this game and how the season may go for the Panthers. The Lufkin D has been MIA for the past 2 or 3 seasons and has bore no resemblance of what was once a great strength of the LP program. IMO there is lots on the line this season for many people on how things turn out in 2014.