UIL news: Football, hoops.. Cheer

Eagleborn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if the home and home rule would be done away with if you played the same school in consecutive years.

We experienced that with Klein Oak in 04/05 and again with Kilgore in 08/09.

We each got a home playoff game.

Guess that rule would go away......

Wonder if the home and home rule would be done away with if you played the same school in consecutive years.

We experienced that with Klein Oak in 04/05 and again with Kilgore in 08/09.

We each got a home playoff game.

Guess that rule would go away......

If you're gonna reward a team for winning their district, then they should get to host, bottom line. If you don't want to play in your opponent's house, try to finish 3rd or higher. If a 4 seed can go into a district champion's house and beat them, then they've earned their spot.

If you're gonna reward a team for winning their district, then they should get to host, bottom line. If you don't want to play in your opponent's house, try to finish 3rd or higher. If a 4 seed can go into a district champion's house and beat them, then they've earned their spot.

+1

I love the idea of the districts champion hosting on all levels but you gotta remember some of us have crappy statiums. Not all are like tatum, longview, JT ect...

True. I only see that being a problem in 5a. There are some good 5a teams with small stadiums.

State basketball on the move. Will be decided soon

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/06/location-of-next-years-uil-state-basketball-tournaments-to-be-determined-today.html/

Also, Cheer could have a pilot program that will test as UIL sport.

"@corbettsmithDMN: 1-year pilot for Game Day Cheer gets full vote of UIL Legislative Council tomorrow. Expect lots of supt. concern, despite UIL staff support."

I'm curious about why the changes aren't being made effective this year. It's not like the bi-district sites are already carved in stone.

Just reading the article from this morning on it.

The rule has to be approve by the Legislative Council in October. Rules and guidelines have to be set before season starts so that's why.

And people should know a pilot program (which the district champion hosting perk is) is to see if they like the idea before going full across the board. They do the starting with certain classes all the time. Four playoff teams started with 5A in 2006 before they began adding to the rest of the classes, the separating of divisions prior to the season starts on the lower levels before now being added up (5A and 6A will have it soon enough).

Uhhh...no.

You take Marshall last year.. 3-7 or whatever playing 10-0 District champ. If they don't agree on a neutral site, they flip for home host... Marshall could host a playoff game for backing into the playoffs. Letting the district champ in bi-district completely resolves that conflict.

I love the idea of the districts champion hosting on all levels but you gotta remember some of us have crappy statiums. Not all are like tatum, longview, JT ect...

Bad stadiums don't matter. Call it home field advantage. Your fans don't have to travel, therefore more show up. Advantage district champion

Would a coach consider giving up a home field if more money could be made?

Let's pretend for a second.......

Let's say Highland Park wins their district championship and they were set to play (lack of a better name) Plano in the first round.

HP could play at home...... in a sold out stadium..... with aprox 10,000 fans in attendance.

Would they consider giving that homefield up to play in the Cotton Bowl..... or SMU....or Arlington so they could sell 15-20,000 tickets in a game.

Or is playing at home all they would worry about??

I like the rule change.

Basketball state tournaments will be played in at the Alamodome if there can be agreement between them and UIL.

If not then it will be back in Austin and revisit again next year.

I remember watching the Spurs in the Alamodome when I was a kid......it was awful for basketball. Bad move IMHO.

Why wouldn't the UIL be interested in the SBC Center? Toyota Center? American Airlines Center?

Playing high school basketball in the Alamodome is going to be like playing in a cavern.

Bad move IMHO.

Would a coach consider giving up a home field if more money could be made?

Let's pretend for a second.......

Let's say Highland Park wins their district championship and they were set to play (lack of a better name) Plano in the first round.

HP could play at home...... in a sold out stadium..... with aprox 10,000 fans in attendance.

Would they consider giving that homefield up to play in the Cotton Bowl..... or SMU....or Arlington so they could sell 15-20,000 tickets in a game.

Or is playing at home all they would worry about??

I like the rule change.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you have to pay stadium rental if you played away from home? Lose concession stand profit as well! Who would get the gate money?