Dave Campbell's take on 15-5A

Mavchamp

I'm struggling to see where this optimism for Pine Tree is coming from. Last season was their most promising season in quite a while, and they still got run over in a district that just wasn't that solid.

I don't think they'll be world beaters at all, but I also don't think that 4th spot is completely out of arms reach of them either. And that's only IF they can find some defense. 25 PPG the past two years in district play. Yeah..I know it isn't elite numbers but there was a point in time when PT wasn't getting anywhere near close to that. They have some skill players coming back + a new HC who has had plenty of success with high powered offenses....might be something to build on offensively anyway.

Another thing, I haven't seen PT's schedule but I do know that they get Longview and T-High out of the way early. That'll be beneficial for them in the event for must wins in order to make it in. They do have SS in their final three game stretch though. However Marshall has both SS and T-High in their final three game stretch..add in Longview in their final 5 game stretch. Going 2-3 those final 5 games could be brutal on Marshall. IMO they'll have to upset at least one of those three teams to keep PT or Hallsville from creeping up on them....other than beating them head to head of course. Speaking of Hallsville, their final stretch is SS, Greenville, PT and Longview.

It'll all be interesting between those three schools. Another thing to think about is that all three teams will get the chance of catching SS of guard with SS having a final stretch of Hallsville, PT, Longview and Marshall.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they'll be world beaters at all, but I also don't think that 4th spot is completely out of arms reach of them either. And that's only IF they can find some defense. 25 PPG the past two years in district play. Yeah..I know it isn't elite numbers but there was a point in time when PT wasn't getting anywhere near close to that. They have some skill players coming back + a new HC who has had plenty of success with high powered offenses....might be something to build on offensively anyway.

Another thing, I haven't seen PT's schedule but I do know that they get Longview and T-High out of the way early. That'll be beneficial for them in the event for must wins in order to make it in. They do have SS in their final three game stretch though. However Marshall has both SS and T-High in their final three game stretch..add in Longview in their final 5 game stretch. Going 2-3 those final 5 games could be brutal on Marshall. IMO they'll have to upset at least one of those three teams to keep PT or Hallsville from creeping up on them....other than beating them head to head of course. Speaking of Hallsville, their final stretch is SS, Greenville, PT and Longview.

It'll all be interesting between those three schools. Another thing to think about is that all three teams will get the chance of catching SS of guard with SS having a final stretch of Hallsville, PT, Longview and Marshall.

" don't think they'll be world beaters at all, but I also don't think that 4th spot is completely out of arms reach of them either. And that's only IF they can find some defense. 25 PPG the past two years in district play. Yeah..I know it isn't elite numbers but there was a point in time when PT wasn't getting anywhere near close to that. They have some skill players coming back + a new HC who has had plenty of success with high powered offenses....might be something to build on offensively anyway. "

I think the same. Hallsville had some of the best talent I've ever seen come out of that school last year. I think they fall back to earth. PT is rising guys. There is an argument to be made that puts PT as just a desirable school to go to as Hallsville. Might not be this year but I feel its coming...

I think PT was as desirable a school to go to as Hallsville about 10 years ago. But the demographics in PT have changed in the last few years and I don't see that changing soon.

Sports wise it may become as desirable, but not living wise. Parents moving their kids to the Longview area are still going to pick Hallsville, Spring Hill, etc for their kids overall education.

Probably going to get crucified for saying this......but here goes nothing......

Pine Tree no longer has the demographics that PT had 20 years ago...... and it's a trend that should be troubling for PT fans looking for a resurrection in football.

20-30 years ago, before Hallsville became the darling of the Gregg/Harrison corridor, it was Pine Tree. PT's demographics looked much like Hallsville's do now.

No more..... The hispanic population is the fastest growing segment of PTISD. And that's not good news for a football program that has been basically dormant since the early 80's.

This isn't a racist idea like some want to claim it is. Hispanic kids are more than capable of being great football players....just as capable as a white or black student can be. It's not lack of ability that hinders hispanic schools in football. It's lack of interest. Most hispanic kids are more drawn to Soccer and baseball. Lack of interest = smaller turnout. Smaller turnout = depth issues. It's a domino effect.

Don't believe me? Look no further than MP. In the 80's and 90's MP was a MONSTER in football. But their demographics have changed.... and they are now a majority hispanic school. How has the football program been the last decade or so? (dismal) How about soccer? (one of the best in the region).

Can a great coach and program buck that trend? Absolutely. But it's not going to be easy. And it's definately not going to be easy for a program that has been a perennial loser for the better part of 3 decades.

I'm not wishing bad things on PT..... but just pointing out that there is the possibility that shifting demographics and a long culture of losing could make a turnaround very difficult.

JMHO.

I totally agree Mavchamp. I originally typed out hallsville and Pine Tree's current demographics for their high schools, but deleted it. Didn't want it to turn into a race thing.

Like you said, I think PT has a few years left to have any shot at a decent season before the demographics completely shift. And you are exactly right, PT was the place to send your kids 20 years ago. Those days are gone. Those kids are now going to Hallsville, Spring Hill and even New Diana.

I wish PT nothing but the best. But I don't see it happening long term. I think this new coaching staff may have a shot at turning things around for the next gew years, but long term, it's not going to happen.

MP was a GREAT example! I've also heard the same is happening in Jacksonville who was once a football power too.

Yes, it is growing everywhere. But it's a little different in an area like Longview where the wealthy can afford to move their kids to area schools that are very expensive to live in, leaving everyone else in the city. That doesn't happen in one high school towns like Mt. Pleasant, Sulphur Springs, Greenville, jacksonville, etc. There aren't many school districts outside of the main town to send your kids to without up ans moving 30+ miles away. In Longview all these othee places are within a 15 mile radius of Longview.

Right now, Hallsville's Hispanic percentage at the high school is around 9.4 %, African American is around 7.6%, white 80.3%

Pine Tree's Hispanic is around 22.6% and African American 18.2%, 56.3% white.

And the actual town of Hallsville doesn't have industry to bring people in. Almost everyone living there works in surrounding towns and drives. It is very expensive to own a home in Hallsville with very few places to rent.

You are exactly right blitz!

And your demographics may be a little old. I too almost posted the numbers.....and deleted them. But the numbers I saw had PT down to 51% white and the hispanic nearing 30%.

And yeah..... demographics are shifting everywhere thanks to a combination of white flight and hispanic migration. Longview's white population in now in the 20%'s. Marshall is in the upper 30%'s. Both schools were in the 50%'s just 10-15 years ago.

And I totally agree that coaches better learn how to recruit the hispanic kids out for football. If not...... then in another 20 years, the soccer coaches may be the ones that are the AD's in town.....(Nacogdoches, anyone?)

Yes, I believe these numbers are from the '12-'13 school year. The website I use is usually a school year behind the current. But for the most part they don't change too much.

You're right, we may all be playing futbol soon if we don't start working with the Hispanic kids too.

If you want an eye-opener when it comes to the hispanic population growth just take tour of your local elementary school. I went to a 1st grade "graduation" at Kilgore a few weeks ago..... I think there were 10 classes of 20-25 kids in each. 4 of those classes were 100% hispanic and the other 6 had some hispanics mixed in. I suspect that most every school around here is seeing the same thing.

If you want an eye-opener when it comes to the hispanic population growth just take tour of your local elementary school. I went to a 1st grade "graduation" at Kilgore a few weeks ago..... I think there were 10 classes of 20-25 kids in each. 4 of those classes were 100% hispanic and the other 6 had some hispanics mixed in. I suspect that most every school around here is seeing the same thing.

Yes, my wife teaches ESL and she has been saying the same thing for several years. It will take a few more years to impact the high schools, but it's coming.

Yes, my wife teaches ESL and she has been saying the same thing for several years. It will take a few more years to impact the high schools, but it's coming.

Mount Pleasant numbers as of 2014- Hispanic 64.6 %, White 21 %, African American 12.5 %,

Mount Pleasant numbers as of 2014- Hispanic 64.6 %, White 21 %, African American 12.5 %,

Those are some eye-popping numbers.

It MUST at least be taken into consideration when you look at the struggles of the football program and the birth of one of the most respected soccer programs in the region.

Wow.

Totally off topic.... but it makes you wonder if soocer games in Texas will one day have crowds that rival football games.

The good side of that? A game every 3-4 days instead of just one a week....lol.

Those are some eye-popping numbers.

It MUST at least be taken into consideration when you look at the struggles of the football program and the birth of one of the most respected soccer programs in the region.

Wow.

Totally off topic.... but it makes you wonder if soocer games in Texas will one day have crowds that rival football games.

The good side of that? A game every 3-4 days instead of just one a week....lol.

Mount Pleasant does not make enough money on the gate at soccer games to pay the ticket takers. Boys or girls. 25 to 50 people, most are non paying spectators.

Yes, it is growing everywhere. But it's a little different in an area like Longview where the wealthy can afford to move their kids to area schools that are very expensive to live in, leaving everyone else in the city. That doesn't happen in one high school towns like Mt. Pleasant, Sulphur Springs, Greenville, jacksonville, etc. There aren't many school districts outside of the main town to send your kids to without up ans moving 30+ miles away. In Longview all these othee places are within a 15 mile radius of Longview.

Right now, Hallsville's Hispanic percentage at the high school is around 9.4 %, African American is around 7.6%, white 80.3%

Pine Tree's Hispanic is around 22.6% and African American 18.2%, 56.3% white.

And the actual town of Hallsville doesn't have industry to bring people in. Almost everyone living there works in surrounding towns and drives. It is very expensive to own a home in Hallsville with very few places to rent.

A lot of people forget that MP has 2 high schools in its town: MPHS and MP Chapel Hill. Not only that, but Daingerfield gets PLENTY of move-ins from MP as well as Paul Pewitt and Pittsburg.

I think the only team PT can beat is Greenville. The reasons being PT has already had quite a few kids quit football, because new coach took away the two-sport rule that was brought in with last coach. So the baseball kids quit football. There are lots of new coaches, and most of the old staff jumped ship. And probably will keep leaving until the last day they can. New coach brought in a great guy, Lambert, whom the kids like. But that's about it. The new offensive scheme isn't quite as fun to watch as last year. Hayes is a great athlete, but he won't have enough to carry the whole team. Bowman still there, but "Assistant Head Coach". Not OC or DC.

Pine Tree did not win a 7-on-7 game.

A lot of people forget that MP has 2 high schools in its town: MPHS and MP Chapel Hill. Not only that, but Daingerfield gets PLENTY of move-ins from MP as well as Paul Pewitt and Pittsburg.

But MP Chapel Hill doesn't play football, correct? Same goes for all the small towns around SS except Como Pickton. All the other small schools around SS are basketball schools. While pretty much every small school around Longview plays football. You could stay in a 10 mile radius of Longview and go to 10 different football schools while Daddy still keeps the same job.

Who is MP Chapel Hill? Only Chapel Hill I know was in Tyler?