Dave Campbell's take on 15-5A

Mavchamp

Who?????

Longview b4 Collins/King era. '98 team ranked #1 no playoffs '99 team a complete disaster. '00 team was bad but you could see the direction we were headed due to new staff(collins). Even doe it was only for a 2 or 3 year span we were headed same rout as Mavs. But new coaching new attitude holding kids more accountable for their grades just a complete overhaul of everything got us back to much more than respectability. Marshall looks to be on that same path.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a young boy..but even at that age..a young boy like myself could not understand how that '98 team managed to go from playing for a 5A D1 title the year before and starting off preseason ranked #1 in the state to stinking up the field the way they did. True definition of day and night.

Agreed except IMO Marshall has more or at least equal talent to Carthage.

The last couple years, I don't believe have. I think that'll come back.

But I should've specified because I meant it relative to their class.

I was a young boy..but even at that age..a young boy like myself could not understand how that '98 team managed to go from playing for a 5A D1 title the year before and starting off preseason ranked #1 in the state to stinking up the field the way they did. True definition of day and night.

It really wasn't that big of a difference between the two teams honestly.

97, Longview was trailing Lufkin by two scores at the break...trailing John Tyler at the break...and trailed Marshall by two scores after one quarter.

98, Longview trailed Marshall at the break...trailed Lufkin at the break...and trailed Tyler Lee by 17. By the time things got to the JT game, which they also trailed, it was hopeless already basically.

If Longview had learned to cover Kendrick Starling at ANY point against Marshall in 98, the season would've been completely different IMO. The only difference really was that Longview had to fight harder against Tyler Lee than they did in 97. And we weren't able to overcome trailing as much as we did in 97.

12-5A back in the big boy days for sure.

Marshall does not have anywhere near the talent of Lake Travis, Carthage or even Mesquite Poteet. Coaching is a big thing, but good Lord. Have them win at least 5 games (not to mention finish above .500) in a season before you go off claiming that they're the next LT.

Re-read my posts. Never implied that Marshall was there. I was only implying that with their current coaching staff and several other aforementioned factors that Marshall has the recipe to make a massive turnaround like all of the schools I mentioned.

Lake Travis was the equivalent of Pine Tree and Nacogdoches before quality coaching and community support came about. Look at Dave Campbell's magazine story about Lake Travis' dismal football program before, Jeff Dicus brought them their first title.

I hope the massive comeback mentioned by several (Non Marshall fans btw) comes to fruition.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I do think we have the best staff since Southern was here. And the pipeline to Hallsville and Tatum appears to have closed. And some have even returned.

BUT.... at the end of the day..... We are 6-25 since 2011. Historic lows for our program.

I'm gonna sit back and watch it unfold. Keep mum till we've proven we've turned the corner.

It was night and day from 2012 to 2013. Even though the record didn't show it. We were massively improved.

6-25.

Until then. Y'all carry on. We will quietly sit back and take care of our business. Maybe just maybe we will shock someone.

Lake Travis was the equivalent of Pine Tree and Nacogdoches before quality coaching and community support came about. Look at Dave Campbell's magazine story about Lake Travis' dismal football program before, Jeff Dicus brought them their first title.

Trying to even compare Marshall, Pine Tree, Nac or even Longview to a situation like Lake Travis is ridiculous. The demographics will never allow for such a transition like that to happen in East Texas on the 5A or 6A level.

Trying to even compare Marshall, Pine Tree, Nac or even Longview to a situation like Lake Travis is ridiculous. The demographics will never allow for such a transition like that to happen in East Texas on the 5A or 6A level.

Wow!!! Not even Longview, huh? So, with that being said we can stop looking for that transistion ourselves, right. Or do you HONESTLY believe that we're around the corner? Because we're either close, in the middle or waaay the hell back like several other football programs. I mean, YOU tell me.

And, don't cherry pick the schools that you want to and twist it to fit your point of view. I also listed Fairfield whom is smack dab in the middle of farm and ranch land with no growth whatsoever except MAYBE for a family or two (really reaching here) moving in due to the oilfield in the surrounding areas of Limestone County.

Carthage Bulldogs. Need I really say more??? They are pretty much self explanatory of what I mean by bringing in a coach and changing a culture. That means eradicating misfits, taking undeveloped athletes over a period of four years and totally transforming their mind and buying into what your plan and agenda is and being sold out completely to do whatever it takes. WE DON'T HAVE THAT HERE AT LONGVIEW HIGH-PERIOD. And, our enrollments superceeds Carthage's, Gilmer's and Daingerfield's.

Tell me if the DEMOGRAPHICS matter at those three schools and explain to me using COMMON SENSE while they are able to overcome obstacles and succeed at the pinnacle level of Texas High School Football. I've just debunked your demographics theory so come again.

Carthage Bulldogs. Need I really say more??? They are pretty much self explanatory of what I mean by bringing in a coach and changing a culture. That means eradicating misfits, taking undeveloped athletes over a period of four years and totally transforming their mind and buying into what your plan and agenda is and being sold out completely to do whatever it takes. WE DON'T HAVE THAT HERE AT LONGVIEW HIGH-PERIOD.

And this is based on what? Lack of a title? Cmon man. I really wish the comparisons to small schools would stop because winning a title at those levels compared to winning one at the 5A/6A levels are not near the same.

Okaaay.

Does small schools have deal with the growing suburbs in addition with the constant transfers/recruiting (or whatever you want to call it) going on in the suburbs?

How often does non-suburban schools win titles in the top classification compared to suburban schools? There's only been three since 2001..three. Keep in mind that two trophies are given out every year.

Nuff said.

Man this is why folks root against yall. That's about the dumbest thing you ever posted.

Stop living in denial.

You of all people should know that there's a difference. Your team was a POS before dropping down...and in year one wins a title.

I saw the mention of Mesquite Poteet. I actually interviewed for the athletic training job the offseason that the new HC started there. You could tell by the way he held is demeanor that he was going to win despite his talent. I am not sure if any of you remember his first year there. They went something like 3-7 then made a run to the semis in the playoffs. I can tell you that he plays to his strengths and he pumps up his guys. He teaches technique and puts players in the best spots to succeed, even if it means moving them from a position that would more or less score more points.

I haven't been around Clint since I was at MHS. Give me 30 minutes in the field house with him and his staff and I can tell you how Marshall will do. Knowing his father and seeing what he has already done in his young career, I would be willing to bet that success is on the horizon. I wouldn't say Longview success or Lake Travis success or w/e, but I think considering our immediate history since Harris was let go any playoff win, no matter the greatness of an opponent will be success to build on. The kids playing ball now were in 7th and 8th grade when I was in Marshall and there was some real skilled talent there. Some of it ran off to Elysian Fields, some of it ran to other programs, a lot of it stayed. I would say the .500 season one Lobo fan pointed out will come this season. Next season, I would be shocked if Marshall is not predicted to be the #2 or #3 team in the district.

So if Longview wins the 5A title this year it won't be as great cause it wasn't 6a. Yeah great logic.

***Facepalm***

Now got a lot of butthurt from your post but I am very very used to that from you . No biggie

Quit trolling a thread that you are not contributing to.

Man this is why folks root against yall. That's about the dumbest thing you ever posted.

How is it?

Point out one school on the 4A (formerly 3A) level that has moved up and won a Title within the next three or four years since the formation of Division I and II.

Hint: There isn't a single one.

There is a distinct difference after that 1,000 enrollment mark and it's absolutely ridiculously to try and deny it (just as there is a distinct difference between now 5A DII and 6A DII)

How is it?

Point out one school on the 4A (formerly 3A) level that has moved up and won a Title within the next three or four years since the formation of Division I and II.

Hint: There isn't a single one.

There is a distinct difference after that 1,000 enrollment mark and it's absolutely ridiculously to try and deny it.

Read the Sign: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. HE WILL EAT IT THEN SLING POOP AT YOU!!!

I'm done with the troll. I'll let him and the rest of the BWs live in that state of denial.

Anyway..with the staff assembled at Marshall..hard to imagine another 3 win season with their non-district slate. And surely they'll be TOO much for the likes of Greenville and MP. Hard to call against pine tree because well..they have a good staff assembled too and Marshall hasn't beaten H-ville in a few years. SS is right in the middle. We'll see how it unfolds..

LV and T-High will be too much at this point.

Call me crazy but I got a gut feeling bout Mavs this year

Mavs have surprised us plenty of times over the past 3 years. When we expected playoffs, we got 1-9 or something. Last year we expected bad results, we got them, but also with a playoff trip and looked competitive against most of the top schools in the district. There is reason to be optimistic, nothing wrong with optimism... Just don't let it become your reality before the season starts :)

I hope Harper can turn it around in a huge way in year 2, but all of my sources say the talent is there, just not developed enough to make a lot of noise.