Dave Campbell's take on 15-5A

Mavchamp

PT has athletes.... just look at the success of their other athletic teams.

Football athletes? Maybe not...... but there ARE athletes at PT.

------

This has always made me wonder......

If you were a talented player..... but maybe not good enough to be a starter. And you lived in Longview....

would you rather ride the bench at Longview or start for PT.

Because Longview always seems to have talent sitting around watching the game from the sidelines.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PT has athletes.... just look at the success of their other athletic teams.

Football athletes? Maybe not...... but there ARE athletes at PT.

------

This has always made me wonder......

If you were a talented player..... but maybe not good enough to be a starter. And you lived in Longview....

Because Longview always seems to have talent sitting around watching the game from the sidelines.

back in the day students would go to PT because of similar reasons like that

If what PT fan says is indeed true, that certainly puts the 4th spot up for grabs between Hallsville and Marshall. To which I say..it's hard to distinguish between the two...very much even on paper although Marshall hasn't beaten Hallsville since 2010, the past two season being convincing wins for Hallsville. Still is a hard one to call...so much similarities at this point.

12 returning starters for Hallsville from a playoff team a year ago. 16 returning starters for Marshall from a playoff team a year ago. Heck, even the enrollments are dang near the same (1381 @ Hallsville, 1393 @ Marshall). The only possible major advantage Hallsville would have in this game would be the homefield advantage. Marshall hasn't won in Hallsville since 2009. Will things change in 2014?

IMHO......

If we lose to RC or Crandall in our first two games..... ugly season will lay ahead.

Maybe more to the point........even if we struggle to beat them..... this could be bad news for Marshall.

Anything short of a blowout in both of those games will be smoke signals that things are NOWHERE near competitive for 15-5A.

I don't expect a win over Bossire Parkway.....but I expect a different game than we had last year.

If Parkway runs us out of the stadium by 20-30 points again this year, then Hallsville will be huge favorites over us. If we play Parkway close..... then I think it could be a draw with Hallsville. If we pull out a miracle and beat Parkway..... Marshall is the favorite headed into the Hallsville game.

Both teams have similar numbers returning. But Marshall has more KEY parts coming back.... while Hallsville has 2 of the major cogs in their offense to replace.

But..... we've lost 3 in a row.....so we have something to prove.

I'm not expecting it.....but I'd love to see us turn out to be a huge darkhorse and actually challenge SS and Texas High.

Honestly, fully expect T-High to be pretty stout outside of their game against Longview.

But IMO SS is very beatable. Their defense is suspect..even PT has had success on their defense the past two seasons. That said..what they may lack in defense they make up for it with offense. A good defense will probably be the key against SS..and Marshall returns more full time defensive starters than anyone in the district.

I would be absolutely shocked if Marshall doesn't beat RC and Crandall and will be somewhat suprised if they aren't blowouts for Marshall. Both of those teams don't even come close to the amount of athletes that Marshall has. And I agree, if Marshall somehow loses those games, it could set the tone for a long season for the Mavs. But I can't imagine that happening.

SS has one of the worst defense's I've ever seen. They aren't fundamentally sound at all. Their DC is a home town boy that's coached there his whole career, so don't expect any changes any time soon.

That being said, I already expect Lview and THigh to handle SS easily, but if one of the other district teams can put together a solid defense, they just might surprise SS!

Does longview have any potential scares prior to the semis?

I know in 2008 Waco Midway had them on the brink of elimination in the quarters, but a ballsy call by Longview won them the game in overtime. I don't think the Guyer game was a close as the score showed.

In 2009 Midway once again had Longview on the brink, but let them off the hook in the area round. Then in the quarters Waxahachie had the Lobos down something like 21-0 at one time.... but it turned into a Longview blowout.

Any potential games that may actually make Longview break a sweat before December ball?

I hope I'm wrong....but I'm expecting a district cakewalk for them.

SS has one of the worst defense's I've ever seen. They aren't fundamentally sound at all. Their DC is a home town boy that's coached there his whole career, so don't expect any changes any time soon.

That being said, I already expect Lview and THigh to handle SS easily, but if one of the other district teams can put together a solid defense, they just might surprise SS!

SS does give up some points..... no one can deny that.

Our 2012 team was one of the historically worst teams Marshall has ever fielded in 100+ seasons of football and we managed 34.

Not out of the real of possibilities if someone had the defense to shut them down. OR.... if an injury sidelined their QB.

Does longview have any potential scares prior to the semis?

I know in 2008 Waco Midway had them on the brink of elimination in the quarters, but a ballsy call by Longview won them the game in overtime. I don't think the Guyer game was a close as the score showed.

In 2009 Midway once again had Longview on the brink, but let them off the hook in the area round. Then in the quarters Waxahachie had the Lobos down something like 21-0 at one time.... but it turned into a Longview blowout.

Any potential games that may actually make Longview break a sweat before December ball?

I hope I'm wrong....but I'm expecting a district cakewalk for them.

The only Midway and Guyers awaiting are in our own region with Lp and JT. The new 5A as a whole is ridiculously down compared to the 4A from 08 and 09.

In 08, we just couldn't stop Midway in the 2nd half. Two score lead most of the of the game until they scored and finally stopped us once and of course Hubert scored to tie it. That 08 Guyer team was pretty dang good as well. Not sure where you get the game wasn't as close as the score. If anything it was closer.

09 was strange. Midway was playing their last game with their old coach and Longview just didn't come to play at all. It was very similar to the South Garland game where the Lobos just never capitalized. I thought for sure they would score on the 2 pointer after we jumped offsides. Who knows where the game would've gone had we not jumped and it went to 14-14. Hachie was overrated big time that year. 20-0 down late in the 1st quarter, but we were coughing it up left and right. It was crazy. When Longview settled down, it was obvious they couldn't contain us, and the final score showed that. Newman Smith's run in 09 is definitely underrated. They had an excellent squad that season that many Lobos fans didn't expect to see. It really looked like our season was coming to an end when we got stopped on 4th down and they had an ample amount of time to take the lead or at the very least tie it. The wind in Corsicana that day was nuts as well. Outside of LT, they played us the hardest IMO.

Lp and JT though remain our biggest threat IMO until Region 1 comes into play. But ya never know.

The only Midway and Guyers awaiting are in our own region with Lp and JT. The new 5A as a whole is ridiculously down compared to the 4A from 08 and 09.

Yep. Appears to be much weaker than 5 years ago.

I will say that the DII division may be as tough as it's ever been with the right scenario. Ennis(basically), Brenham, Timberview and SOC are already DII locks. Add in the possibility of Aledo, A&M Consol and Cedar Park and that isn't your typical DII bracket.

My opinion, but I think my desire to win would keep me from playing on a team that historically loses, if I had my druthers. My family is a perfect example........I proudly graduated, like the rest of my family, from Longview High School........my sibling who is 3 years my junior convinced my parents to move to Pine Tree when I graduated, so he could swim at Pine Tree. So, the only person in my family that didn't graduate in Green, is my brother, who didn't want to swim for a losing team/coach. So, to answer your question, I would rather ride the bench on a winning team, than be an unnoticed starter on a losing team. (BTW, team or no team..........I was NOT graduating in blue!!) :)

It is way to early to get any kind of read on how MP will respond with Coach Homer and the new staff. I am hearing positive things so far but the first real look will be in the scrimmage against JT in August!

It is way to early to get any kind of read on how MP will respond with Coach Homer and the new staff. I am hearing positive things so far but the first real look will be in the scrimmage against JT in August!

Coach can only do so much... MP lost a bunch of Ballers and the JV class was horrible. If they win 2 games that will be a good year for MP

No offense to the other programs, but there is no one on the Lobo's level, this is a cakewalk for them thru district, THigh, the jury is still out, they are the only one that can match Longview on depth of athletes, but the Lobos are system oriented and it has been in place for many years now, and with the number of prospects to choose from, coming thru the program, they will be tough to beat, but until they can really keep defenses honest, and become a real threat to beat you with the pass, they, in my mind, will continue to struggle deep in the playoffs! Just my opinion!

and become a real threat to beat you with the pass, they, in my mind, will continue to struggle deep in the playoffs

You need to watch more Longview football if you think this is the case still.

You need to watch more Longview football if you think this is the case still.

shoot, he's telln the truth, we gonna lean on the run hard, you kno that, when the last time we have a quarterback get recruited high,

cause of his arm..

Theres no doubt lview has put more time in trying to be more balanced. The passing game has improved but the running game is still what makes them tick. When lview tries to pass alot it seems to keep the other team in the game. Lobos need to stick with the ground and pound and just pass when need be. Maybe a few passes a series to keep the D honest.

shoot, he's telln the truth, we gonna lean on the run hard, you kno that, when the last time we have a quarterback get recruited high,

cause of his arm..

Ever heard of Bivins Caraway III?

Fact: every since QB coach Chris Vallery arrived at Longview in 2010, every single Longview QB has earned an offer (Dez has a Central Arkansas offer). We all knew Pete Robertson wasn't going to play QB in college before the season started (he's starting LB at Tech right now)..but he still was an effective HS QB. The rest has been history and broken records (literally) with Bivins and Dez. Not only that..we're putting WRs and TEs at the FBS level at an all time high. That's not even counting the one's we've put in JUCO/FCS/DII etc.

Anyone who thinks Longview is strictly run oriented hasn't been paying attention.