Dave Campbell's take on 15-5A

Mavchamp

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be nice to think a December playoff run is disappointing. LOL. We haven't had one since 2009.

I'm just grateful to go into a season for the first time in 2-3 years without a total sense of misery and doom.

Honestly.....I think some are grossly underestimating us. Based on what I've seen and heard..... '11, '12, and '13 could be distant memories. Thank God. Historical lows for the program in '11 and '12.

We've had some success in the 7 on 7 league with Henderson, Carthage, EF, Waskom, and Evangel. Powerlifting team had a fantastic year. Track was strong as always. Spring game was a pleasant surprise from the garbage we've seen the previous years.

Guess we will know soon enough......

I'm not expecting a district title by any means. But I think we're going to be better than most believe...... and I haven't been able to say that since..... well..... 2009.

I'm not expecting a district title by any means. But I think we're going to be better than most believe...... and I haven't been able to say that since..... well..... 2009.

Don't take out our punter this time.

I think Marshall will be back in the thick of things sooner than later. I'm not sure if this is the year they can beat the top 3, but I really wouldn't be suprised to see them edge out Hallsville for that 4th playoff spot!

I do think in another year or 2 they could give Sulphur Springs a run for their money. And maybe THigh too

This should be the year we get back to .500 or better after winning a total of 6 games the past 3 years combined. I say we equal our win total from the past 3 seasons with 6. With all the jrs starting this coming year we should be back in the top 2 and maybe even finally back in the state rankings in 2015. As for this year, regain respect!

Marshall will finish 2nd...

I'd call that a serious longshot..... but I'd be beyond thrilled.

And save this post. If it happens..... I'll buy you a steak dinner with all the trimmings. LMAO.

I'd call that a serious longshot..... but I'd be beyond thrilled.

And save this post. If it happens..... I'll buy you a steak dinner with all the trimmings. LMAO.

yes! From Leon's steakhouse & saloon! Best steaks in Longview! And I don't see it as a longshot. Okay...we all agree Longview should win district right? But after that the only real thing we know is SS is gonna score 40 and give up 40. THIGH had an amazing display of defense the last 5 or 6 games but can they build on it? Even doe a few on smoaky believe that last year's Lobo/Mav match up was Lobos playing a bad game...I still give Mavs some credit for that. I was impressed with Mavs until the next week when I got to Indy and it looked like a freaking JUCO playing playing against a 1a!

My take on Sulphur Springs. Have to agree we will fall in the 2-3 slot and my bet would be the 3 slot behind no-brainer Longview at 1 and Texas High at 2. Been hearing lots of good things out of Marshall and they could make it interesting, but I will put them at 4 for now.

Offense-It will be hard to replace Willie, we have a Sophomore in Jaylon Hawkins that I believe will be special, but he is just a Sophomore. Pryor is back and everyone knows what to expect here. How much defense is able to play may go a long way on how successful the defense will be. Pryor will line up behind one of the best offensive line in the District anchored by Jess Jenkins and Landon Watkins and that may also allow the Sophomore some running room as he gets accustomed the spotlight.

Defense-can't be any worse. Return 8 starters, so hoping to see improvement but how can we not improve. Interesting the our Head Coach Owens, who I love and would not trade for anyone, was a linebacker in college and fields a defense that is not very good.

Good luck to everyone, cannot get here soon enough.

Look, I for one appreciate all of the notoriety for my Lobos BUT......... I am a realist and REALITY tells me that you can NOT return 27% of your DEFENSE and of that percentage NO ONE started in the secondary regardless of how much clean up time they had last year.

Our OFFENSE albeit returns one of the more perennial tailbacks in our storied football program along with a pretty decent game manager as quarterback, we only return 36%. King, has done pretty good job with what he has had in years' past but, I can promise you with a rather less than dismal performance from our secondary year in and year out that seems to go unaddressed, we are setting ourselves up for another epic disappointing season.

Someone PLEASE explain to me how we're entitled for a Lock on this district with our lack of returning personnel. I just don't see it. REALISTICALLY, (IF, I AM ALLOWED TO BE ON HERE) I can see Marshall ending our streak this year based off of what they have returning on BOTH SIDES of the ball! The Mavericks return 72% of their OFFENSE and 81% of their DEFENSE. And, to be quite honest with you I am scared and EVERYONE in this district better take notice or get ready to be put on notice. Harper, and his staff have had an entire year to get the kids acclimated to his brand and I HONESTLY believe that this is the year it pays dividends.

I wish my Lobos would come into ANY game this year half-stepping and acting as though they've got all sewn up. They better stay off these message boards letting the fans blow that THICK smoke up their butt.

Look, I for one appreciate all of the notoriety for my Lobos BUT......... I am a realist and REALITY tells me that you can NOT return 27% of your DEFENSE and of that percentage NO ONE started in the secondary regardless of how much clean up time they had last year.

Our OFFENSE albeit returns one of the more perennial tailbacks in our storied football program along with a pretty decent game manager as quarterback, we only return 36%. King, has done pretty good job with what he has had in years' past but, I can promise you with a rather less than dismal performance from our secondary year in and year out that seems to go unaddressed, we are setting ourselves up for another epic disappointing season.

Someone PLEASE explain to me how we're entitled for a Lock on this district with our lack of returning personnel. I just don't see it. REALISTICALLY, (IF, I AM ALLOWED TO BE ON HERE) I can see Marshall ending our streak this year based off of what they have returning on BOTH SIDES of the ball! The Mavericks return 72% of their OFFENSE and 81% of their DEFENSE. And, to be quite honest with you I am scared and EVERYONE in this district better take notice or get ready to be put on notice. Harper, and his staff have had an entire year to get the kids acclimated to his brand and I HONESTLY believe that this is the year it pays dividends.

I wish my Lobos would come into ANY game this year half-stepping and acting as though they've got all sewn up. They better stay off these message boards letting the fans blow that THICK smoke up their butt.

I dont think your secondary will be an issue... its high school football and your primary throwing team hasn't shown great defense the past 4 seasons. The secondary will hurt you in the post-season. As far as district goes, I would say we are a "run first" district and Longview is by far the favorite to take it no matter how little of the defense returns. King has proven that he can replace a defense and build it back as fast as anyone in Texas. I wouldn't call the district a lock for anyone... we are dealing with high school kids and there is no telling what could happen over the course of a season. Most of us spread run first teams like to get our guys in space and let the athletes run. Longview has shown that they aren't afraid to try and make a hole in the middle and beat a defense down if needed.

It is not always the quantity that is returning but the quality. Longview is Longview. No one else in this district has the consistency that the Lobos have. Don't kid yourself. Everyone else will be playing for a playoff spot and not the title

Yes. What he said. Our returning starters won 3 out of 11 games last year. Marshall will be much improved but longview is ranked in the top 5 for a reason. I would love to see marshall stop the streak this year but if its going to happen it will be next year. Marshalls several freshmen that started 2 years ago will be srs in 2015 and lobos wont have chum and hasty. Now if lview plays down to us again like last year it may happen.

I think Marshall will be improved this year and could be very good the next. But I don't see them being on Longview's level anytime soon. Like I said earlier, I think they might suprise SS or even THigh in the next couple of years. But I don't see them being on a even playing field with Longview. Now.it is a rivalry game, so anything can happen. But talent wise I don't think Marshall is going to be close in the next few years.

I hope, I am wrong but, the culture is being changed at Marshall it seems and when you get young men from 15 to 18 years old along with strong, community support, you can EXPECT a massive turnaround and maximum effort which USUALLY equals to W's on the left side of the column instead of L's on the right side.

I for one am pulling for them EXCEPT for one game to finally come out of their slumps year after year based on the personnel in the coaching staff that was assembled.

I hope, I am wrong but, the culture is being changed at Marshall it seems and when you get young men from 15 to 18 years old along with strong, community support, you can EXPECT a massive turnaround and maximum effort which USUALLY equals to W's on the left side of the column instead of L's on the right side.

I for one am pulling for them EXCEPT for one game to finally come out of their slumps year after year based on the personnel in the coaching staff that was assembled.

remind u of a certain school?

Yep. Fairfield, Lake Travis, Carthage, Mesquite Poteet just off top of my memory.

Marshall does not have anywhere near the talent of Lake Travis, Carthage or even Mesquite Poteet. Coaching is a big thing, but good Lord. Have them win at least 5 games (not to mention finish above .500) in a season before you go off claiming that they're the next LT.

Agreed except IMO Marshall has more or at least equal talent to Carthage.

But yeah, its crazy for someone to say Marshall is somehow now the favorite in this district based on....well nothing. Yes Marshall has a good amount of returning starters but I'm sure this isn't the first year the past 12-13 years that Marshall returned more starters than Longview leading into a season. Besides that..how's the depth at Marshall? How did the sub-varsities perform last season? These are other things to think about. I know both our JV and fish smoked Marshall pretty good and 70+ was the number on Longview's varsity during spring ball, you can add another with the recent transfer Longview just got.

For the record..wasn't a post to bash Marshall. I actually think they challenge SS IF their defense is up for the task. And it's definitely doable as i think Marshall should have one of the better defensive lines in the district. But I'm not ready to put them in a class with LV, T-High...or LT for that matter. Marshall would have to prove that on the field..which would be ALOT of proving from a 3 win team.

Marshall will have no shortage of talent. The problem areas are depth and transfer outs. There have been less and less leave with this new staff. The players are finally buying in and less are wanting to leave. They know they would miss out on a historic program turn around. Our best lbacker moved to georgia but that was because of family. We may move one of our athletic dlineman to mlb to fill the need. Marshall plays carthage in 7 on 7 every year and with them wearing same colors a neutral spectator wouldnt have been able to tell which team was which. So to say we dont have anywhere near the same talent is off. Coaching staff is a huge deal as marshalls school board is finally starting to realize. Now there are some programs where some great staffs were unable to make a huge difference. That is usually a talent problem and a great coach would need 6 years instead of 2 or 3 to develop his athletes at the lower levels.